84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Heater core FSM page no#

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 01:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heater core FSM page no#

Where is the section in the FSM that covers the heater core replacement? I cant find it.

Or can anyone direct me to a write up on it. Yes I have searched, but cant find a write up on the 84/85.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:26 AM

That's a great question. I have a PDF of the 85 manual on my computer and it's not to be found. I assumed it would be in the cooling section as it's connected to the radiator but it's not there. My next thought was A/C followed by "body". The only mention of it that I can find is on page BE-32 (Body Electrical). If you look at the troubleshooting table it simply suggests that you replace the heater "radiator" if it's leaking.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:59 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by tmcorbin
Where is the section in the FSM that covers the heater core replacement? I cant find it.

Or can anyone direct me to a write up on it. Yes I have searched, but cant find a write up on the 84/85.
Ive done heater cores in two 86 4Runners, let me know if you need any help.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:05 PM

I will I'm going to pick up the heater core tomorrow. I am guessing that pretty much everything in the center of the dash needs to come out. Can you give me the best way, place to start.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:44 PM

I will I'm going to pick up the heater core tomorrow. I am guessing that pretty much everything in the center of the dash needs to come out. Can you give me the best way, place to start.
To replace the heater core you need to remove the complete dash, not just part of it, the whole thing. Start by disconecting the battery, then remove the cover over the gauge cluster, then disconect the gauge cluster and remove it, once removed you will see a 10mm nut holding one side of the dash pad on, remove it, now remove the complete glove box, behind the glove box is a piece of plastic air duct for the heater vent, remove it, now for the fun part, there is another 10mm nut behind that duct that you need to remove, its hard to see, so just feel for it. the next thing is removing the heater vent in the dash by the passenger door, it has to come out because there is a 10mm bolt behind it that has to come out, this vent can be hard to get out so take your time.I think there are some screws across the front of the dash pad (i can`t remember) if there are remove them and the dash pad should come off now. Remove the rest of the screwa holding the main part of the dash on, and also disconect the heater control cables from the heater housing and remove the rest of the dash. Go under the hood and disconect the heater hoses from the heater pipes were they come through the fire wall, unbolt the heater housing and carefully remove it. Also take the time while everything is a part to wash out all of the heater ducts and vents, they will be very dirty from years of use.

I hope this helps you out.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:12 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
The manual for the 85 does indeed NOT layout how to change the heater core.

I was curious, and checked through my 85 manual. Nothing!
Old 12-17-2009, 01:42 AM

MyYota thanks for the reply it was enought to get me headed in the right direction. It took about 6 hours last night to get it done. I took some pics and will try to do a write up on it tonight. going to be a miserable day at work. only about 3 hours of sleep. You were not kidding it is a PITA. Worst heater core that I have done. Not hard just time consuming, and everything has to come out. It will really piss me off it I have to go back in this summer to replace the core for the AC. The passenger side dash vent, pretty much turned to powder as soon as I put a small screw driver in it. It was really sun damaged to start with. I guess I will be looking for a new one now. Anyone got one. I will do a write up tonight, and post pictures.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:02 PM

MyYota thanks for the reply it was enought to get me headed in the right direction. It took about 6 hours last night to get it done. I took some pics and will try to do a write up on it tonight. going to be a miserable day at work. only about 3 hours of sleep. You were not kidding it is a PITA. Worst heater core that I have done. Not hard just time consuming, and everything has to come out. It will really piss me off it I have to go back in this summer to replace the core for the AC. The passenger side dash vent, pretty much turned to powder as soon as I put a small screw driver in it. It was really sun damaged to start with. I guess I will be looking for a new one now. Anyone got one. I will do a write up tonight, and post pictures.
Glad i could help, like i said, ive done two 86 4Runner heater cores, the first one took me six hours and the second one took me 4 hours, its definatly not something i would want to do very often, but im glad its something i was able to do. Can you imagin how much money we saved by doing this ourselfs ?, i bet it would have been over five hundred dollars if the dealer or some other shop had done it.