84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Carburetor woes

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 03:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Carburetor woes

Still battling my 22r carb.

It will start and run with starter fluid. The only time it runs on it's own is at higher rpms (2000+) and even then it stutters and chokes.

I know for a fact it's the carburetor

I've rebuilt and tuned/re-adjusted the carb.

Everything else in the fuel sytem is in check

Any ideas?
Old 02-10-2009, 05:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you checked for vacuum leaks? Those symptoms sound very familiar to a vacuum leak. Also, I dunno if I posted the diagram for you... but I have an 85 vacuum diagram (federal) floating around one of the most recent threads.

How about the fuel pump? You'd think she wouldn't run at all with a bad one... but maybe there's a pinhole leak in the diaphragm or something.

Also, supposin you're choke works, perhaps the choke pull-off diaphragm is bad and not kicking off the cold start procedure. This could over-richen your mixture and cause it to run crappy. I don't believe a choke pull-off diaphragm is included with carb rebuild kits. Its a sealed, brass-colored unit that runs sideways along the rear of the carburetor.

Or perhaps the valves are adjusted wrong? If the intake valves are out of adjustment the motor will get too much, or too little, gas.

But, if you're dead-sure its the carburetor...
then readjust the float. That's really the only thing you coulda done wrong that would make it run this crappy. Float adjustment is EVERYTHING.

Last edited by XtraSlow_XtraCab; 02-10-2009 at 05:44 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by XtraSlow_XtraCab
Have you checked for vacuum leaks? Those symptoms sound very familiar to a vacuum leak. Also, I dunno if I posted the diagram for you... but I have an 85 vacuum diagram (federal) floating around one of the most recent threads.

How about the fuel pump? You'd think she wouldn't run at all with a bad one... but maybe there's a pinhole leak in the diaphragm or something.

Also, supposin you're choke works, perhaps the choke pull-off diaphragm is bad and not kicking off the cold start procedure. This could over-richen your mixture and cause it to run crappy. I don't believe a choke pull-off diaphragm is included with carb rebuild kits. Its a sealed, brass-colored unit that runs sideways along the rear of the carburetor.

Or perhaps the valves are adjusted wrong? If the intake valves are out of adjustment the motor will get too much, or too little, gas.

But, if you're dead-sure its the carburetor...
then readjust the float. That's really the only thing you coulda done wrong that would make it run this crappy. Float adjustment is EVERYTHING.
i am 100% sure its the carburetor. i put the carb from my dd on and changed nothing else and it ran fine. with the other carb back on i adjusted the float and it didnt help BUT i noticed the fuel level was high after trying to start. i replaced that little valve with the spring right in the middle of the bowl (it was seized down) and blindly adjusted the float down a little (due to the high fuel level) now it runs. not good but it kinda runs so i'll fiddle around with it some more
thanks
Old 02-10-2009, 09:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i hate those stinkin stock carbs good luck al