84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

'85 Pickup 22R Flooding

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'85 Pickup 22R Flooding

New guy here, '85 2WD pickup, 22R stock 2BBL.

I'll try to give the whole story on this issue. A couple of weeks ago, I noticed a drop in gas mileage and very rough starting, white smoke out of the exhaust, rough idle. I started by replacing the air filter, which was much needed, that helped the gas mileage but the rough idling/flooding was still present. A few days ago the problem got really bad. If I let it sit and idle, it would flood itself, lots of smoke out of the exhaust. I took the air cleaner assembly off and watched the choke mechanism work, it seemed okay. The fuel level in the bowl was sitting high as well. After turning it off I saw raw fuel puddled on the primary throttle plate. Just grabbing at straws, I tightened down the air horn screws and each one turned 1/4 to 1/2 a turn. That seemed to help the problem. Now, the problem is not as bad but it's clearly still there. So, I took the air horn off and reset the float height and replaced the air horn gasket. The fuel level is in the middle of the viewing window, but there is still gas puddling on the primary throttle plate after shutting the engine off. The primary venturi is also wet with gas and there is a little on the secondary throttle plate.

I need to mention the AAP diaphragm was replaced a few months ago as well as plugs and wires. The choke diaphragm is working as well. I tested it by sucking on its vacuum line. Choke plates are not sticking. If you guys need any more information just let me know.

And now, I'm kinda lost as to what to do next. My thoughts are to replace the needle and seat and maybe the power valve. Any thoughts/suggestions are welcome. Toyota Nation forums haven't given any replies. I've actually got more help from the GM W-body forum I moderate.

Thanks for any help/insight you can give.

-Robby