84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

22RE rebuild, it went boom

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 06:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you located a oil pickup yet? I might have one in the shed. One of our old engines threw #3 cyl. (2 weeks after hydrolock in a "puddle").

I'm in North Bend.

You been out to the wrecking yards in E'Berg? They used to be out Canyon. Also one in Kittitas.

You on campus or off? I used to live in Davies about 400 years ago
Old 10-11-2008, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats crazy! This exact same thing happened to me in May about a month after I bought my truck. P/O claimed that he rebuilt it and then boom.
Old 10-12-2008, 05:38 PM

looks like he may have put the piston in backwards. two of them go one way and two of them go the opposite way. match the valves with the tops of the pistons.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:00 PM

Today, it was finished! I actually got the engine in and attempted to fire friday night. Lots of waisted time, but today I discovered I had the distributor about 90 degrees advanced. I didn't pay attention when installing it and just tossed it in during the re-assembly...realized this at 6:45 this morning, then couldn't sleep after that so I got up and fixed it. I had a feeling the timing was off when a cylinder fired apparently when the intake valve was open, burning all the way up the intake, making a big bang and a lot of smoke. It was a little nurve racking. I got stuck thinking it was mechanical timing yesterday, and even though I knew it was on right I was getting ready to pull off the timing chain and redo it when I realized my fault with the distributor this morning. At any rate, its now fired up, cleaned up, runs great. Very happy! Also fixed some misc. things like the blower motor, rust hole, cb and such. I still need to install the rear driveshaft, I'm waiting on the center support bearing to show up. So right now its a front wheel drive.

Originally Posted by XtraSlow_XtraCab
Your engine is hotter than Megan Fox bending over to pick up an ink pen.

Yea, I've been criticized about my priorities before
Hahaha. Lots of cleaner and lost of scrubbing....Not sure bout the Fox refrence though

Originally Posted by Yoda
You been out to the wrecking yards in E'Berg? They used to be out Canyon. Also one in Kittitas.

You on campus or off? I used to live in Davies about 400 years ago
Yep, found a oil pan and pickup for $50 from the wrecking yard out in Kittitas. Also picked up new washer fluid pump and blower motor at the one in E'burg.

This is year #4 for me, second off campus. Funny though, I lived in davies freshman year. 214. That was the one good dorm year. Co-ed when you were in it?

Originally Posted by poorboyota26
looks like he may have put the piston in backwards. two of them go one way and two of them go the opposite way. match the valves with the tops of the pistons.
Hmm, that could be, though I don't think the valves contacted the piston, or at least if it did it didn't damage the valves.

Feels very good to have it running again, properly for the first time since I've owned it. Now I just gotta clean up the garage

Last edited by Ares; 10-12-2008 at 08:07 PM.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ares
This is year #4 for me, second off campus. Funny though, I lived in davies freshman year. 214. That was the one good dorm year. Co-ed when you were in it?
It was more coed than many imagined

I was on the second floor, inside corner right above the dorm manager's room (room 222 iirc). Big room, and my assigned roomie dropped out 1st quarter. I had that big room solo.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda
It was more coed than many imagined

I was on the second floor, inside corner right above the dorm manager's room (room 222 iirc). Big room, and my assigned roomie dropped out 1st quarter. I had that big room solo.
I am jelous. That would have been awesome! But at least you can rest assured...its still co-ed
Old 11-17-2008, 09:34 PM

congrats