Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Opinions/advice needed on my 83 Pickup

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinions/advice needed on my 83 Pickup

A few weeks ago I decided to finally start work on my '83 p/u. Starting with the motor I've got it removed and torn down ready for rebuild. I've got a rebuilt 20R head with oversize valves and a cam from engnbldr, offenhauser intake, thorley tri-y header and LCE pro oil pump and another 22r in better shape than my old one. I was planning on having it machined for rebuild and ordering the kit next week when I knew bearing and piston sizes needed. Then I was gonna finish it off with a weber 38 and start the rest of the work on the truck. It's got an L52 5spd rebuilt about 6k ago. Utill... I was offered a 93 chevy astro with a 4.3 running perfectly, for free. I need to know which will be the better route considering power, mileage and overall difficulty. Cost wise the more it costs the longer it will take to spend on other parts of the truck but I'm willing to spend the money and do it right. Anyone that's got a 22R built like my plans or a 4.3 opinions would be appreciated. The 4.3 would come with a 4L60 auto trans which I'd be alright with but would like to have a manual.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:40 PM

Received 274 Likes on 185 Posts
I did the "hi bred" 25 years ago , in my old "white knight" (the original) . I was very happy with it at that time . however , I would never do the "hi bred" again . I spent 4G's on my engine back then .. complete.. but still only netted ~150 RWHP , which was awesome .. back then ..

These days there are so meny different engines and swap parts avaliable . I did a S/C 5VZFE in my Trekker and I love it .

not a big fan of the 4.3L , mostly because it's not a "toyota" engine .. lots of guys do it though , and if you do it right .. HP #'s cant even be compared to the 20R/22R hi-bred

Old 02-18-2012, 06:14 PM

I agree with keeping it toyota that's why I'm considering keeping the 22R, but it was free, has more power and isn't a bad motor from what I've read. If my 4runner was totalled I wouldn't even ask anyone I'd just drop the 3.4 in. I just want to know if finishing the 22R is gonna be a waste if/when I want more power down the road.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you think you will feel the need to go fast or have more power, don't do the 22r
Old 02-19-2012, 03:11 AM

The 20/22R motor is capable of producing up to 185-200 HP on the street without NOX, fuel injection, supercharger, etc. It depends on what you want to do with the truck. If I was considering an engine swap then I would go right to a 350 Chevy V8 and not even consider the 4.3 unit. I made the decision a long time ago to stay with the 22R Toyota motor and I have never regretted it. I have street rods with chevy motors and they are power houses but the Toyota runs well, gets decent mileage and wll cruise at 80-90 miles an hour on the highway without a problem.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:07 AM

Last night the decision was made to go with the 4.3. I don't need to go fast, the stock 22R got me going as fast as I needed but I did find at times it seemed like it was overworked offroad. I thought before about doing the 350 but the 4.3 seems like it would be enough. I gave my parts truck to a buddy who is working on resurrecting it, so he'll be using the 22r i was building up now. His truck ran but needed work so it's good we're saving another 1st gen when they're so rare around here.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:09 PM

The 22r is one of the finest motors ever built by Toyota. The R motor was first designed back in the 50's and so it has thirty years of refinement... The drivetrain, differentials, were all designed for that motor...and you mentioned power isnt a major concern...I can't see any motor from Detroit come close, let alone a motor 25 years old..If longevity and reliability is of any concern the 22R is superior! And i do have experience with both 4.3 and 2.8 chevy v6s. The deuce deuce R is builtproof...
Old 02-19-2012, 03:12 PM

83 Advice

Well... what I know you could put in a thimble... but... stick with the 22R... It's a Yota... keep it that way! 22R with intake, exhaust, carb, and minimal performance upgrades internally... and you will have AMPLE power! Toyotas are what they are... thats why they last so long!

Like my grand pappy said... "If It Ain't Broke... Dont Fix It!"

My 2 cents!
Old 02-20-2012, 08:24 AM

The 22R is certainly more reliable than the 4.3, but if you turn it up to make comparable power levels, I'm not so sure.

I would keep and build the 22R, change some gearing if you feel it struggling off-road, and use the Astro van as a parts-getter/general-purpose-beater in the meantime.

If you really do want that much more power, how hard is it to find a cheap GM small-block where you are? Can't be much more scarce than a 4.3.

"If it ain't broke, I'll fix it 'till it is!"
Old 02-20-2012, 10:54 AM

I'm going to keep building the 22R hybrid either way, it was a project I was looking forward to for a while and I've got money into it already. Either mine or my friends truck will get the 4.3 the other will get the yota so neither engine will be wasted because his truck needs a motor anyways and he does a lot of work on my vehicles so I don't giving him one of the motors.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:50 PM

I have done some real frankenstein projects through the years, and one of them involved cramming a 4.3 into a small import truck...a Samurai. the only way for people like us with limited funding and garage space is to gut the drivetrain, fabricate the mounts, and a lot of trial and error on configurations. In the end it took about 6 months of weekly wrenching to get the Monster Sami together, but it was worth it. The power in that 4.3 is awesome, and the aftermarket is pretty good, too. It's basically a 350 small block with the front 2 cylinders cut off...and many parts between the two are interchangeable. Normally I would keep with the brand of truck...it kinda bothers me when I see a toyota that sounds like a ford...but if power is what you need, and you can't afford the 4 or 5 grand for a hopped up yota mota, swap the chevy. I'll warn you from experience, though, I had a ton of clearance issues, had to reform the fenderwells, extend the front clip, and do a 2" body lift to fit the 4.3 in there. good luck...my 81 sr5 does NOT have the room for a v6, so I imagine you have your work cut out for you.

keep it rubber side down
Old 02-20-2012, 02:17 PM

From what I've read it doesn't look like a difficult swap. I know there will be problems along the way but it's been done and documented before, there's room for it in there. I'll be lifting it, maybe a body lift too, so that will help with room. I can buy bolt in motor mounts, the transfer case adapter and headers made for the swap from advanced adapters. I only work every other week so I've got time, got a garage and all the tools I should need, hopefully. I'll start a build thread once some stuff starts going on.