Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Bent front axle or improperly shimming knuckles? That is the question

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 10:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bent front axle or improperly shimming knuckles? That is the question

So, I bought this front axle with the hi-steer arms installed that was apparently completely rebuilt. Except it needed birfields and it needed the brass spindle bushings. It also came with IFS wheel hubs. I tore it down this weekend and my stock axle that came on my 81. I put in new brass bushings, I serviced my birfields and used my stock hubs because I didn't want to monkey with making the brakes work. I got it all put back together and the axle on the short side will not turn with the hub locked because the birfield rubs on the inside of the knuckle. The locking hub was very hard to get on as well because the axles were not at all centered in the spindle. It was so tight it pushed the axle into the housing, I couldn't get the C-clip on. I know i will not be able to use 4WD right now, but do you think it's improperly shimmed knuckles or a bent housing. The driver's side works flawlessly. sorry for the rambling just giving a little background on how this came about.
I looked through the housing when it was all torn down, and it looked pretty straight to me.

Old 04-20-2011, 04:44 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Brass spindle could be installed crooked or something else not quite right.

Look at it again.

I've had to clearance the inside of a knuckle with aftermarket birfs but never stockers.

Hard to think short side is bent but possible.

:wabbit2:
Old 04-21-2011, 04:49 PM

thanks, I'm going to take it apart and check everything again when the rest of my wheel bearing kit gets here from Marlin... they forgot all the gaskets and hub seal. If I can't figure it out I will just rebuild my stock axle and use it's original shims with my new hi-steer arms
Old 04-24-2011, 09:29 PM

Thanks wabbit, I took it apart again this weekend and it was the brass bushing. It wasn't improperly seated though. Toyota machined the bushing wrong. It's hard to tell in this picture, but if you look down the spindle, the lip around the inside of the spindle isn't even. It's very far off center. Didn't think to check that on installing, but I popped my spindle from other other axle in and everything works great. Marlin will be receiving a call and hopefully they'll send me a new one.

Last edited by SCToy; 04-24-2011 at 09:31 PM.