Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Any Denso wiper alternatives for 82 that screw on?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 11:49 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Any Denso wiper alternatives for 82 that screw on?

Hey guys, I thought I lost my old gal I cal Lil Red (after "The Little Red Engine That Could story). She got stolen, then found by the police a week later.

I've always put the factory brand Denso wiper blades on her because they're the only ones I know of that use the steel J Hook bracket that screws right onto the arm, with which I use stainless screws.

Does anyone here know of any alternative brands that also use a steel J Hook bracket and screw on? The Densos are OK, but can start streaking before too long. The closest thing I've found so far is click on adapters that screw on, and I think some brands like Bosch include such a thing with certain models. The Bosch seem to not be prone to streaking as much, though I'm a bit leery of plastic clips.

Also, I ordered a Pedal Jack device that locks your brake or clutch pedal stationary to prevent any further theft attempts. Anyone have any experience with such a device? Most say it works well, and the only complaints I've seen is it doesn't fit some vehicles.

Last edited by Pick-rolla-Pick; 08-12-2020 at 02:38 PM.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:28 PM

Received 168 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by Pick-rolla-Pick
Hey guys, I thought I lost my old gal I cal Lil Red (after "The Little Red Engine That Could story). She got stolen, then found by the police a week later.
Also, I order a Pedal Jack device that locks your brake or clutch pedal stationary to prevent any further theft attempts. Anyone have any experience with such a device. Most say it works well, and the only complaints I've seen is it doesn't fit some vehicles.
Not cool! Glad you got her back!

About 12 years back when I had one of my '88 4runners, it got stolen and taken on a joy ride, my pile of change and all my tools were still in the truck, they literally just went for a ride in it... Anyway, that day after me and my buddy found it on the side of the road, we went straight to an automotive store and each bought a pedal locking "Club". I have had it ever since and use it on every Toyota I drive. If it's a manual, you can lock the clutch pedal so it cannot be depressed, if it's an auto, lock the brake pedal. It's probably possible to still move the vehicles with those pedals locked, but I bet it's a huge PITA.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:44 PM

I had The Club steering wheel lock on my 79 Corolla I had before this truck, but I doubt anyone ever tried to steal it. Steering wheels can be easily cut, and The Club products only have a flat key lock, so aren't very secure.

The Pedal Jack is electronically heat treated to resist breaking and freezing, and it has a plus shaped 4 edge key that can't be duplicated. The only concern on these is whether they fit your pedal shaft tightly (needs to be within a specific height range of floor). I hope it does, I measured my pedal height and I know at least the clutch pedal is just within that range for sure. Even the brake pedal seems to be exactly on the lower end of that range, but the floor behind it is not as flat as under the clutch pedal, so I think I'm going to secure it on the clutch pedal. I'll let you know how it works and fits. One of the things I like about these is they seem to store shorter and flatter than The Club one, which matters to me because I have minimal space behind the seats.

Last edited by Pick-rolla-Pick; 08-12-2020 at 02:40 PM.
Old 08-12-2020, 01:16 PM

Received 168 Likes on 131 Posts
Ahh interesting, I have never seen that type before, looks pretty nice and heavy duty though. I agree the quality of the Club products aren't the best, but the one I have has worked for me. I use it every single time I park.. having a vehicle stolen in the past will make you paranoid lol, though I'm not even sure anyone would want to steal an auto, most people don't like them, and not as easy to roll away silently I think.

I always hear bad things about the steering wheel locks, easy to hacksaw through the steering wheel and slide it right off apparently. Definitely let us know how that one works out for you.
Old 08-12-2020, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by 5 Fists
I always hear bad things about the steering wheel locks, easy to hacksaw through the steering wheel and slide it right off apparently. Definitely let us know how that one works out for you.
Will do, still hoping UPS brings it to my door instead of leaving it in our building lobby.

The more I check on the Denso wiper alternatives, the less I want to trust them. My only secure mount option for Bosch for instance is using their J Hook adapter that screws onto the wiper arm, but some say it's bayonet that clips into the blades is not a tight fit. It's a shame because their Excel + that's got graphite mixed in with the rubber is pretty much squeak and streak free for the most part.

Ordered 3 pairs of the Densos for $9 a pair. At least I know they mount securely.
Old 03-14-2023, 08:56 PM

Received 119 Likes on 89 Posts
Did you ever find a good option?
I've been buying the refill material (Toyota PN 8521424H90) , but that's now gone obsolete it seems.
https://parts.toyota.com/p/Toyota__/...521424H90.html
Old 03-15-2023, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Blueman
Did you ever find a good option?
I've been buying the refill material (Toyota PN 8521424H90) , but that's now gone obsolete it seems.
https://parts.toyota.com/p/Toyota__/...521424H90.html
I ended up finding lots of places that have the Denso full blades at a good price, the trick is avoiding shipping costs and knowing the model number, which is 160-1217 for the ones that fit an 82 Toyota Pickup. The cheapest place to get them overall though is to order 2 pairs from Amazon (or any amount if you have Prime). Two pairs without Prime still gets you free shipping though.
Amazon Amazon

BTW, loving the Pedal Jack, works great and is super easy to attach. It actually fits my brake pedal too, just takes a bit of diligent tugging to make sure it clicks as many times as possible to be tight. I actually just put it on the passenger side floor with the bright yellow handle leaning on my console tray, which makes it easier to remember to use when parked and quicker to grab than behind the seat.

Last edited by Pick-rolla-Pick; 03-15-2023 at 08:02 AM.
Old 05-23-2023, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by ermandadana
I have had it ever since and use it on every Toyota I drive. If it's a manual, you can lock the clutch pedal so it cannot be depressed, if it's an auto, lock the brake pedal.
So you have a Pedal Jack too? Awesome, seems like most who own them have more modern vehicles, nice to see others out their with the older vehicles use them too!

I guess I happen to be the oddball whom uses it on the brake pedal on a manual though. It's just that the floor under the brake pedal area works better for me.

Last edited by Pick-rolla-Pick; 05-23-2023 at 09:11 AM.
Old 06-11-2023, 04:40 PM

Received 221 Likes on 162 Posts
No, this user quoted a reply from this thread from 2020 and just pasted it……to further make threads confusing.
The following users liked this post:
Pick-rolla-Pick (06-12-2023)
Old 06-12-2023, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Discombobulated
No, this user quoted a reply from this thread from 2020 and just pasted it……to further make threads confusing.
OK, thanks.