After four cans of flat black...

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After four cans of flat black...

New paint! Nothing shiny to find here!

Old 04-09-2011, 07:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Doesn't look like you did any prep before you painted. Thats just gonna flake off over time and look even worse.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by 85TurboRunner
Doesn't look like you did any prep before you painted. Thats just gonna flake off over time and look even worse.
Ha ha. l did actually. l power washed it hard and washed it. l painted the cab a couple months ago and the paint still sticks great to it.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Diff Cranker
Ha ha. l did actually. l power washed it hard and washed it. l painted the cab a couple months ago and the paint still sticks great to it.
that is not prep work....
Old 04-09-2011, 08:03 PM

That was quite a Hoakey paint job....
Old 04-09-2011, 08:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jason191918
that is not prep work....
X2,

Prep work is sanding, filling in dents, more sanding, priming, more sanding, cleaning and getting every imperfection off, paint, more sanding, more paint, clear coat and a final wet sanding. Not just washing.

Looked better in red IMHO. But to each their own!
Old 04-09-2011, 08:34 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
I think you should have left the paint alone.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by scuba
I think you should have left the paint alone.

Ditto

Old 04-09-2011, 09:26 PM

im with scuba on this one
Old 04-09-2011, 09:44 PM

i like it just keep a can of black spray paint in the truck if she ever needs a touch up thier you go i painted my silverado with the rustoleum truck bed liner and just washed and then rolled it on been on thier for a year now no flakes the second coat definatly helps with that though
Old 04-09-2011, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Swimmerboy2112
X2,

Prep work is sanding, filling in dents, more sanding, priming, more sanding, cleaning and getting every imperfection off, paint, more sanding, more paint, clear coat and a final wet sanding. Not just washing.

Its a stock first gen bush truck, it looks fine flat black, i wouldnt be sanding or bondo-ing that truck either
Old 04-09-2011, 10:18 PM

Well honestly, the last owner painted it with red house paint using a horse brush and it peeled off leaving paint chips everywhere l parked. The reason why l used the power washer was to get all the peeling house paint off and then the whole truck was multicolored. Doing a cheap painting was just to get it one color again because l hated the way it looked before. lt's just that the spray paint l did turned out a lot better than l expected and yes it's still rough but l appreciate the way it looks a lot more than it did originally. I guess l should say that it's more like relief but l do plan on sanding it all down to metal to re-prime it in the future. But hey it's a beater, it not suppose to look nice but rugged and l was just cleaning up the mess the last owner did.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:22 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Uh dude, the "original" pictures you posted look like original Toyota paint. Especially since the graphics are still there.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by scuba
Uh dude, the "original" pictures you posted look like original Toyota paint. Especially since the graphics are still there.

The last owner painted around the graphics. The original pictures were taken the first day l got it. Sorry for all the confusion but once you look at it in real life, you would never agree that it was original Toyota paint. Pictures don't show everything easily.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Swimmerboy2112
X2,

I agree that would be way too much for a rattlecan job but you should at least do some sanding and not paint over the graphics. I figure you should at least try to make it look better, not just as bad but a different color.

To each their own though.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:18 AM

Maybe at least sand the decals down...

"To each their own"
Old 04-10-2011, 04:48 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
I'm glad I won't be the only one doing a paint job like this. Although I do think it would have been better to at least medium grit sand down the paint that was on there. I'm not planning on using bondo anything either. And my rocker panels are in horrible shape.

I do agree it did look better red though. Maybe with a few more cans of paint it will look a little better.

Here's an idea, if it's a bush truck and is gonna see alot of tree limb's branches etc etc. Make a layer of the flat black that you did, follow it up with a coat of camo brown, and then OD green and another layer of black if you want most of it to look black, and then as the branches etc etc hit the paint it will naturally turn it to a camo job.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:57 AM

I'm with xxxtreme22r.. ..that's a great idea!
Old 04-10-2011, 06:04 AM

looks good to me. i love the first gen trucks. i think you do what you want to do. keep a can of black spray paint with you and you can always touch it it if needed. i did the same thing with my 82 and only did minor sanding and bondo to fill the holes where the front marker lights and 4wd emblems were. i thought i can always carry a can with me and do touch up and at least my truck is all one color now. im gonna do mine over in a flat tan maybe next. not sure when though.

here is mine with gloss spraypaint, with only minimal prep.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:40 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
The red probably just looked good in the pic we were seeing. The black looks ok. I think itd be better with satin black instead of flat. I had flat black on a previous rig and after a couple months it looks bad - all oxidized and holds onto dirt and oil/hand stains easily, hard to wash if you ever need to also. Satin will still give the matte-look you're going for but will req less maintenance IMO. I'd keep the black as a primer, sand it better in areas like the decals and wherever the pressure washer didn't take off the loose stuff, then go over it with like 10 cans of satin black. Black needs lots of coats to build up enough to not see the spray marks when you use rattlecans.

Quick Reply: After four cans of flat black...