Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

83 toyota first time wheeling it.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
83 toyota first time wheeling it.

well I just bought a 83 pickup short bed the other day and have been cleaning it up the last couple of days. I also bought a set of 33"s with after market rims the same day I bought the truck. I was able to mount the rims and tires on the truck with out any mods. the truck has about 105xxx miles on the engine and 206xxx on the cab the truck is all stock to my knowledge exept for the larger gas tank 25 gallons. my problem with the truck now is that I just took it out wheeling today and was just doing some mild hills and trails but the dang truck didnt make it up any hills of any size in 4wheel high but did great in low but i cant shift to second when in low because the shifters hit each other and knocks it out of 4wd. I think my problem with not having any power in high is from the larger tires and my question is could I put larger gears in the transfer case for 4wd high or will the gears in my differentials have to be changed.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:30 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
You can try replacing the shifter seat and socket in the tranny. That may take some slop out of the shifters and maybe they won't hit each other. Usually when you regear for larger tires, you're regearing your differentials. You can search around here and see what gears work for 33's, if that's what you're going to stick with. Tires that size will suck your power in a stock truck.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:30 AM

my truck is stock and it won't go up hill with 31s! let alone 33s... x2 for the re-gear, it's the ring and pinion in your diffs.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:01 AM

grats on the truck and getting 1st time out wheelin. As for the shifting in 4L well that really shouldnt be an issue. Go to marlins site and buy one of their new shift sockets or what ever they are called. Sorry brain is dead. Did body work all day and woke with a cold. LUCKY ME lol. You shouldnt have a issue with 1st to second at any time mainly due to 1st gear is a dead gear to me when wheeling. Only time I would ever use 1st was when climbing rocks. Most of the time I was in 3rd. 4H is onroad for these engines. They are just too weak otherwise. If you plan to drive it on the road a lot then make sure you dont go overboard on gear ratios. Like 5.29s are WAY to low even if you have a 5 speed. Your lucky to do 60 mph on freeway @ 4500 rpms. I think the best way to get a street/trail truck set up is to get a transfer case with better splits. You can custom low and highs.
I am really suprised people cant climb with these trucks stuck. Im not talking rockin but just rocky uphill trails like forest service trails.
There is a 83 yota 3rd member on craigslist here for 450 with stock rear gear ratio 4.28 (autos have diff gears) and a detroit locker. With these gen trucks you can put it front or rear.
Sorry ill stop typing lol.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IMO

You lost 4H because you are running 33's on 4.10, upgrade to 4.88 and you should correct this problem. I have 36's on 5.29's and can use 4H on the trail. I can also do 70mph on the highway. I am not sure what this hill climb is like some vertical obstacles require 4L but I can shift up to 3rd gear to get the speed up.

You may want to invest in lockers at this time too. I suggest a spool or a ARB for the rear. If you go auto locker in the rear at least get a full detroit and not a lunchbox. Leave your front open for now.

About your shifters hitting each other, I had the same problem with my old G54 Forward shift POS. It pissed me off. Dont really know how to fix it. I tried flipping the shifters around but dont really remember it helping.Thought about rewelded the T-case shifter in a different position but never did, maybe a twin stick would of helped. I dont have the problem anymore I swapped in a W52 top shift.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:48 AM

when shifting in 4low i just go from first to third.

you shouldn't be wheeling in 4high unless you really hate your clutch.

Al
Old 05-04-2009, 12:12 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
plumbrbob is dead on about the gears...try wheeling with 33's and 3.90's...i can't wait till i get 5.29's
everyone is also correct about the shifter seat bushing being shots...it is only about $15-20 to fix and usually only takes 15 minutes or so to fix unless your shift collar is rusted in like mine:

the problem with having a sloppy shifter other than being a PITA is that when I have the front transfer case in low range and put the transmission in reverse-the transmission lever kicks the TC out of low range and into neutral..another pain:

so as an interim fix until I have some more time to remove the shift lever thingy from underneath I used the extra TC lever I had and a $1 unknown shifter from the U-Pull it and dog legged the front TC lever...no more getting knocked out of low range:

generally you should just have to:
-pull the rubber boot (one mounted to tunnel and one mounted on transmission itself)
-push down the shift collar retainer, twisting it counter-clockwise (left) at the same time to get it to release from the pins
-remove the shift lever
-clean out the old busted bushing (it is probably about the most common cause of crappy shifting in toyotas)
-put the new bushing in (video link: http://www.marlincrawler.com/tech/gu...t-installation)
-re-install the other stuff..

good luck and welcome to the world of the 1st gen
Old 05-04-2009, 12:16 PM

thats funny so it was a shifter thigya ma jiggy that was causing all that! LOL all that head banging and cussing over somthing so small easy and stupid! I went to a top shift and havent cussed since LOL
Old 05-04-2009, 12:18 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
top shift is where it's at

saw the pics of the elbe run...looked like a good time...gonna have to get up there this summer
Old 05-04-2009, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
top shift is where it's at

saw the pics of the elbe run...looked like a good time...gonna have to get up there this summer
When its time send me a message, It will be lots of fun
Old 05-04-2009, 02:33 PM

you should be able to pick up some 5.29's on the main forum's for about 200 a pop. $450 is insane for one diff. i got my 4.88's for 300 front and rear.

there was a 5.29 locked diff on marlins site for $250 a week ago
Old 05-04-2009, 02:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Plumbrbob
IMO

About your shifters hitting each other, I had the same problem with my old G54 Forward shift POS. It pissed me off. Dont really know how to fix it. I tried flipping the shifters around but dont really remember it helping.Thought about rewelded the T-case shifter in a different position but never did, maybe a twin stick would of helped. I dont have the problem anymore I swapped in a W52 top shift.

So you are saying that the transmission you sold me was a POS??? When I got everything back together I tired all gears and I never had a problem in 4lo 2nd gear but also I put a new shifter socket on it so don't know if that made the difference or not.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by bxlt
So you are saying that the transmission you sold me was a POS??? When I got everything back together I tired all gears and I never had a problem in 4lo 2nd gear but also I put a new shifter socket on it so don't know if that made the difference or not.
No LOL that was a super smooth shifting tranny, and I still kick my self over it, I was refering to the stupid POS forward shift t-case setup. I always think i shoudl of done a forward shift to top shift conversion so I could of kept that tranny but now I know I could of replaced a shifter socket instead.
It must be in the shifters cause I still have the old shifters.
I remmeber in 4lo and trying to shift gears it always conflicted with 2nd gear I thought it was a factory flaw or something. sometimes I remeber having to jsu tstay in first gear cause I could not find 2nd due to the t-case shifter. I bet its your new shifter socket that made all difference if your not experiencing the same problem.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by jjrgr21
you should be able to pick up some 5.29's on the main forum's for about 200 a pop. $450 is insane for one diff. i got my 4.88's for 300 front and rear.

there was a 5.29 locked diff on marlins site for $250 a week ago
I purchased a brand new 5.29 R&P for $139 and had a guy set it up for $50.

If your real patient you can find great deals.

I went to newburg OR last week and traded a guy a 4.10 welded 3rd, 2 qaurts of gear oil, & 50 bucks for a 5.29 spool with fairly new gears.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:31 PM

thanks for all the input. in those pics obove from ocdropzone that does not look like my set up I dont know if that is a five speed tranny because mine is a 4 speed. so from what I get from this is I should get larger gears, lockers in the rear, and shifter socket. but since my tranny is not a top load like ocdropzone what whold I need to fix the slop and where would I get the parts.

does any one know if a 5 speed would bolt derectly in to my truck, and does any one know what the gear ratio difference between the 4 and 5 speed tranny.

thanks