Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

83 Timing R&R now marbles in blender noise "VIDEO"

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 08:04 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Does sound like a loose timing chain hitting plastic guides, but it's always so hard to tell...Are you hesitant to ask the guy if it made this noise before? Could be valves.

The dual row/single row thing is weird. No one that I know of has it completely figured out. By '82 Toyota was more or less not using the double row anymore, but there are people with even 84s who say there's is double row, and came that way stock.

Isn't it pretty darn bad to let antifreeze sit in the oil for 3 months??! I would think his bearings would be toast.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:38 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
I just got back from checking up on the rig. There is now no noise and it sat for most of today before I started it. I don't know what the deal with the noise is. Hopefully it has stopped. I would like to walk away from this job and say it was a complete success. This is my first timing job by myself. I have done a number of them with someone there guiding me but this one was solo.
Today the rig sounds like a million dollars. And the owner drove it to work. He said "my truck has more power and sounds better than it ever has."
As far as the truck sitting the owner routinely started the truck during the 3 month sit. He drained the oil and put new in and started it to make sure there was fresh oil circulating. SO, I think things were good as far as that goes. I hope so!
Old 02-18-2010, 04:54 PM

Received 274 Likes on 185 Posts
thats weird !!!

as for the duel row conversion .. I have done it 100 times

20r chain will fit up to /84 . they even have steel back guides .

for those of you with a single chain , whom might want to convert , all you will need to replace are the guide bolts , and the oil pump gear .

one of the engines I built , /84 EFI duel row chain

Old 02-18-2010, 05:00 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
my 2 cents...take it for what it's worth.

that's EXACTLY what mine would sound like for the 1st few seconds when I would start it and then on that fateful day last summer, that sound never went away.

did you drop the oil pan? that guide is busted up down there somewhere in the pan, might be choking it for oil...and, if I remember my reading right, the tensioner relies on oil pressure.....so (an I'm doing my truck currently / or not, as the case may be) I understand I HAVE to clean out my pan to get all the debris out of there as to not clog the screen.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:01 PM

slacker, you are alot younger than I imagined.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:02 PM

holy crap slacker.. you look much younger than I thought!!!
And that motor is beautiful!
I know this issue with the timing chain R&R is weird. It's all good now at least it sounds all good.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
my 2 cents...take it for what it's worth.

that's EXACTLY what mine would sound like for the 1st few seconds when I would start it and then on that fateful day last summer, that sound never went away.

did you drop the oil pan? that guide is busted up down there somewhere in the pan, might be choking it for oil...and, if I remember my reading right, the tensioner relies on oil pressure.....so (an I'm doing my truck currently / or not, as the case may be) I understand I HAVE to clean out my pan to get all the debris out of there as to not clog the screen.
I did drop the pan. I needed to get the old guide debris out of there and it makes it much more easy to slide the timing cover on without the pan there. I like to keep any stress away from that damn head gasket.
The tensioner is what I am concerned about. I am inclined to think the oil pump is on its way out. If this noise comes back I am going to suggest pulling the oil pump and replacing it. It is logical to me if the motor is making this noise at idle and then going away when the rmp's go up there is an issue with the oil pump and oil pressure.

Last edited by toyospearo; 02-18-2010 at 05:08 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by toyospearo
I did drop the pan. I needed to get the old guide debris out of there and it makes it much more easy to slide the timing cover on without the pan there. I like to keep any stress away from that damn head gasket.
The tensioner is what I am concerned about. I am inclined to think the oil pump is on its way out. If this noise comes back I am going to suggest pulling the oil pump and replacing it. It is logical to me if the motor is making this noise at idle and then going away when the rmp's go up there is an issue with the oil pump.

ahhhhhhh.
well if you dropped the pan, where's the write-up? I'm stuck there.

but anyway, what i was getting at was an oil pressure issue anyway.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:10 PM

What do you mean "I'm stuck there?"

Last edited by toyospearo; 02-18-2010 at 05:14 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:20 PM

What do you mean "I'm stuck there?"
I don't want to derail your thread....but, I stopped at the part where I am unbolting my front diff etc and just got done snapping bolts on my swaybar.

if you have about 3 free days...feel free to read my thread below or start from the end and go back.

"stuck" as in don't want to break more stuff....wishing there was a really good write-up with pics....I saved all the threads related to it....none really explicit like I wanted, so I am making mine explicit.

OK, enough derailing.

hey. maybe that was the 1st time that engine actually had a good flow of oil going through it and it needed to warm up to clean out some crap.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:39 PM

Hell, you can dealrail my thread I don't mind at all.
I did read your thread! I have been reading that since you posted it. I will dig through any photos I have from past work and if it will help you I will post them up or send them!

Last edited by toyospearo; 02-18-2010 at 05:40 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:47 PM

Hell, you can dealrail my thread I don't mind at all.
I did read your thread! I have been reading that since you posted it. I will dig through any photos I have from past work and if it will help you I will post them up or send them!

WOW...that's sad.

any help / input is appreciated. Right now I'd rate myself at about 2 to 2/12 wrenches out of 10...so I'm still a novice....if I succeed, then I will up my rank to about a 5.

and, likewise, i've read your flatbed thread..that's EPIC!
Old 02-18-2010, 06:11 PM

Received 274 Likes on 185 Posts
Originally Posted by 92 TOY
slacker, you are alot younger than I imagined.

holy crap slacker.. you look much younger than I thought!!!
And that motor is beautiful!
I know this issue with the timing chain R&R is weird. It's all good now at least it sounds all good.
That is my SON ... not me ..