Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

'82 possible vacuum issues?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'82 possible vacuum issues?

I recently scored an '82 2wd 22r with a 4 speed and I have an intermittent idling issue. After driving for a bit and then shutting out down, it won't idle. It will sometimes fix itself with more driving or if left to sit for a while. A few things come to mind like debris in the tank, vacuum leak or a carb issue like a sticking float. The first visible thing are the vacuum lines. Several Ports are plugged and it looks like the advance isn't plugged into anything. Maybe a diagram and some pointers to see if everything is in order and if the guy I got it from knew what he was doing.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:58 PM

If you just bought it, it could be any number of single issues or multiple there of, hard to tell when you're unfamiliar with the vehicle. I would recommend buying a service manual if you intend on keeping the truck. A very useful tool for trouble shooting problems and it has the diagrams you're looking for, step by step. Sounds like you got a spark or fuel issue to me. The "vacuum" that you said is NOT hooked up.... the vacuum advance?... circular metal deal connected at the distributor cap... that certainly needs to be working and hooked up correctly. I had a dead one and the truck barely ran.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:07 AM

I definitely need a manual! The thing that looks like the vacuum advance is on the side of the carb... due to its inconsistency, it kinda seems like a bad connection or a fuel delivery issue. It runs like a champ the time, just at an idle is where the problem lies
Old 03-07-2012, 02:38 PM

Yep, it could be a number of things. The manual will help out alot. Hard to diagnose problems when it's not right in front of you unfortunately. If the problem occurs only at idle, the carb might need some work. There should be a little glass window on the carb where you can check the float level, could be stuck, siezed or broken. I'd start with the carb.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Here is your bible sir:

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/1985/1985FSM.pdf

over 1,000 pages of knowledge. Its for a 1985, but when it comes to motors, they both had 22R's. Vacuum diagrams are in there too.

First this is first though, tank that gas tank off ASAP! Sounds like you may be getting clogged up and that could be a cause. Clean it out and use a magnet to collect rust scale in there. When I first got my '83, I cleaned mined out and had enough rust scale in the tank to fill a 3/4 of a Coke can. Next, check you fuel filters. Next check your fuel filter at the tank, I guarantee it's not clean either.

The main thing is to get fuel to the carb before you start anything! All the adjustments in the world and vacuum hose chasing won't mean shart if you're not getting fuel. As for the vacuum advance to the distributor, you don't exactly "need" it, but you certainly do want it. Your truck will idle lower and not advance through the RPM range properly without it. The timing should be at 0* with the vacuum advance plugged (hose plugged too) and at about 5* with the vacuum advance hooked up at idle. If you are in a State that doesn't have emissions, I would yank ALL of the vacuum hoses and get a Weber. I currently have two vacuums hoses under my hood-one from the intake manifold to the distributor and one from the carb to the distributor. Looks nice too!

Purdy ain't it?
Old 03-07-2012, 09:09 PM

Looks super clean! Fortunately, Oregon doesn't require a vehicle to pass smog if the vehicle is registered in a rural area. A Weber sure does look nice but how is the economy in comparison to stock? So pretty much 90% vac lines are just for the stock carb to operate/ reduce emissions? I would like to maintain or improve economy and performance. I currently get around 24-26 mpg highway. Thanks for the link!
Old 03-07-2012, 10:04 PM

yeah! looks great. Also looks like you're selling it...why? I'm going to look into a weber, looks like that replaces the giant black air filter/intake... I hate that thing in the way. Thanks for the info!
Old 03-08-2012, 04:52 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Oh no, I'm not selling it. My avatar picture is from when I bought it. It's staying with me for a while!

Go with a Weber for sure, those Aisin carbs are a pain in the arse to get running right. And a Weber is the best $256 that you can spend on your truck. I also converted to a manual choke so I didn't have to worry about an electric choke failing. I seldom ever have to use the choke now that the weather has warmed up a little.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:07 PM

yeah, I was looking online and saw them in the low 200$ range. Good enough for me... Imma buy one! I'm kinda lazy when the price is cheap... why take something apart and fix it if I can put superior technology in it's place for 200 bucks... done deal, thanks
Old 03-08-2012, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Word!

Look into going manual choke too, I love mine-No drama.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:14 AM

Search the forum...there's some pretty good diagrams of the emissions to be found. Def hook up that vac advance...and make sure the lines that are plugged aren't leaking. it wouldn't happen to be a california emissions truck would it?
Old 03-20-2012, 07:14 PM

so I found out in California, you have to run a stock carb or the smog check places won't smog your truck and it's against the law. hmmm I might consider a rebuild or buying a stock rebuilt one if it's cheap enough, not sure what I should do.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by zerokelvin
so I found out in California, you have to run a stock carb or the smog check places won't smog your truck and it's against the law. hmmm I might consider a rebuild or buying a stock rebuilt one if it's cheap enough, not sure what I should do.
I have a stock carb you can have for the cost of shipping. Cali emissions. Has some brand new parts, and comes with the rest of the carb rebuild kit I didn't use bc I got a Weber instead.it worked, I just wanted to rebuild it. Pm me if you want it.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:19 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I'm so glad that MD doesn't have emissions on historic vehicles!
Old 03-21-2012, 12:25 PM

I'm trying to figure out a way around it. I think there is some california air board or something that you can have TEST your set up and get a exemption form for the smog, but I hear it's impossible to get. It makes no sense... you can buy a part that will give better fuel economy, more power and most of all LESS emissions, yet it's illegal to use..... Clearly [I]someone[I] wants me to spend more money on gas and doesn't really care about emissions at all? I see big rigs all day on the highway just dumping horrible stuff into the air, yet these vehicles are NOT regulated....hmmmm