Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

'82 22R Idling Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'82 22R Idling Issues

Hello,

I have an 82 Pickup, California truck (ugh), stock 22R and it's having idling issues. I have done a seemingly endless amount of searches on the forum but haven't had any luck with any of the remedies so I thought I would post.

Symptoms: It will idle fine when it's on the fast idle cam but once you punch the gas, it will sputter and die. When it warms up, most of the time you'll be cruising along and it will kind of hesitate for a split second and then it will idle just fine. When it's parked and cools off a bit, it's back to not idling.

˟˟˟˟ I've done: plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, air filter, oil change, radiator flush, etc. (tune up stuff) I've checked all vacuum lines and replaced as necessary and adjusted the timing (when it idles) to 12 with advance hoses hooked up, 5 with them disconnected and plugged. Auto choke seems to be functioning, all linkage is in working order. Choke opener diaphragm is working.

The fuel level in the window is filled to the top. I took the top of the carb off and bent the little float tab down a bit to get the level to drop, but to no avail, it's the same. I'm in the process of acquiring a spare carb to rebuild (never done it before).

This leads me to wonder if it's the fuel pump? Would an inline fuel pressure regulator solve it?

Your thoughts and advice are greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

-Thomas.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:07 PM

Received 274 Likes on 185 Posts
yeah , I would think carb .. needle and seat and or the power valve
I think your on the right track

Old 04-17-2013, 06:59 PM

I had the same problem. Watching the float bowl on the carb, when I advanced the throttle manually, I would watch the fuel foam and bubble, then empty out of the bowl. I suspect it was a needle and seat issue. I bought a new fuel pump and regulator first, which helped, but did not resolve the issue.

Long story short, it was $300 for a rebuild kit, $350 for a new Aisin, or $280 for a Weber. I bought the weber, and regret that I didn't do it sooner.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just rebuilt my carb with $36 kit from Autozone....my power valve was stuck and carb bowl full of crud...a few jet nozzles were plugged too.....runs and idles fine now and fuel lvel in window right in the middle.....I'd try that before spending tons more cashola...........Kevin
Old 04-21-2013, 08:19 AM

Okay, so I found out yesterday, after a quick carb cleaner diagnostic, that my intake manifold gasket was leaking. I replaced that (which was a b*tch) and while it runs a little better, it still idles rough and intermittently. Essentially, it runs the same.

I broke the top off of one of the bvsv's (the one closer to the front of the truck) and it's creating another vacuum leak. I'm thinking this valve was on it's last legs anyway. I found out while ripping the intake manifold off that my EGR system was clogged, so I cleaned that out too.

What else can be causing this rough/intermittent idle?
Old 04-21-2013, 08:52 AM

have you checked out or cleaned the charcoal canister? your fuel level is above normal, and a float setting adjustment didnt work,...so maybe your fuel return line is filling up a clogged up old coal can and backing up on you, just a thought, and its free to check/fix if you have access to an air compressor. couldnt hurt.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:58 AM

Good thinking, I will give that a look. Like you said, it couldn't hurt to clean it out even if it's not clogged.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by drinkbeerdaily
The fuel level in the window is filled to the top. I took the top of the carb off and bent the little float tab down a bit to get the level to drop, but to no avail, it's the same. I'm in the process of acquiring a spare carb to rebuild (never done it before).
What else can be causing this rough/intermittent idle?
First and foremost is to fix your fuel level in the carburetor bowl. A faulty float circuit will foul all the carburetor's fuel circuits.

This leads me to wonder if it's the fuel pump? Would an inline fuel pressure regulator solve it?
The mechanical OEM fuel pump runs at a relativity low fuel pressure, around 3-5 psi. Therefore, the 22Rs do not use fuel pressure regulators. That's what the float circuit is supposed to do, regulate fuel level in the carburetor.

From your description, I'd say that the fuel pump is working properly

As was mentioned, you can get a carburetor rebuild kit from Autozone and it will have a new float, float needle and float seat. Swap those parts and let us know. You'll still need to adjust the fuel level with the new float. The float tang is not pre-set in any fashion.

Last edited by slow-mo; 04-30-2013 at 05:51 PM.