Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

22R starting problem fixed!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22R starting problem fixed!

hey guys for the last few months ive been having a problem with my 82 22r pickup not wanting to start after being shut off when its warmed up. i tried everything, the gm ign module swap (helped a little), an accel super coil (no real diff) and nothing really solved it.
well lately its been really bad and got to the point it wouldnt start at all. so i got to thinking and wondered, if the starter is old and dirty it will increase the electrical resistance and suck current from the battery which would explain the fact i was draining the battery trying to start it as well as the fact that the coil wasnt firing, there wasnt enough current to spare to run the ignition b/c it was being used up by the starter.
so the other day my buddy and i took the starter out, cleaned EVERYTHING inside and out with carb cleaner and put it back in. we also cleaned off the terminals as well bc they has a light coat of grime on them.
anyways, what a difference it made, it starts up like a EFI vehicle now, no problems when its warmed up either, starter sounds like a new one and it turns the motor over faster and more efficiently, thus allowing some current to be used in the ignition.
so the moral of the story is, if you have trouble starting your truck and have tried everything logical and it has not worked so far, try cleaning your starter out and/or looking for sources of possible resistance to current e.g. dirty wires/electronics, its free, easy and may fix your problem.