Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

1983 22r Mojave, crank but no start issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2023, 06:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1983 22r Mojave, crank but no start issue

Hey guys new to the forum here. Just picked up an 83’ Mojave the last week. Neat little truck. I got it hoping to fix it up and get it back on the road. Don’t know too much about the history of this truck but I know its been out in the desert for several years so although its dusty and sandy it has almost no rust. Figured it would be a good truck to learn how to work on.

Anyway, the truck cranks but doesn't start. I have checked spark in all four plugs. With the boot off and close to a ground I was able to see each one arch. I also pulled the current plugs and they seemed go be in pretty good shape. So I believe the issue is lack of fuel. Initially the carb was totally dry in the viewing window. After siphoning most of the old gas out I put new gas in and threw on a new fuel filter. After that I did notice that there was now gas visible through the viewing window. So looks like there gas in the bowl now and I even put an inline clear filter between the fuel pump and the carb to make sure my fuel pump was working which it seems to be based on the inline filter filling up with gas.

Hoping that once I got fuel in the carb it would finally start up. But of course that didn't solve the issue. So now Im trying to figure out if I just need to open up the carb and give it a good cleaning. Already accepted that I would probably have to do that but want to see if anyone has any input on my situation. I am certainly not a mechanic but I do really want to learn. I just bought a used carb to practice on before I open the on already on the truck. Its a California truck as well if that makes a difference. Apologies for the lengthy post. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 10-29-2023, 05:48 AM

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
The coil ignitor failed on mine resulting in a no start situation. Might check that out too.
Old 10-29-2023, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by r100guy
The coil ignitor failed on mine resulting in a no start situation. Might check that out too.
Sounds good. I’ll check that out. Thanks for the tip.
Old 10-29-2023, 08:24 AM

Received 274 Likes on 185 Posts
air , fuel and spark .. check to make sure you have spark
I would also try a squirt of starter fluid down the carb , if the needle and seat is not working or anything inside the carb is "stuck" it may not be delivering fuel .. the starter fluid will let you know
The following users liked this post:
TonyMojave (10-29-2023)
Old 10-29-2023, 08:28 AM

pull a spark plug out , and ground it against the head or one of the bolts or something .. dont use your hands !
have someone try start .. you should see the spark if you have ..
TonyMojave (10-29-2023)
Old 10-29-2023, 01:59 PM

Received 637 Likes on 513 Posts
An alternate method, and IMHO, a safer one, after I've been bit by the hi tension system more than once <ahem>, is to use your timing light to test the spark. Hook up the +12VDC and ground as normal, and then hook your inductive pickup cable to one of the spark plug wires, the wire to the distributor, whatever. You don't need to pull a plug out, and the chances of getting bit is vastly reduced. If a spark is traveling the wire you're hooked to, the light will flash.Great way to check for spark on all the wires if you have any doubts about them, or from the coil if you doubt that. ETC.

A way to quickly test the plug wires for leakage, causing weak or no spark from a plug, is to simply wait for dark, and try to start it. If you have a "leaking" wire, you'll see it, trust me. Looks like a little lightning storm. Easy to see. Also, check your plugs for bad ones. You never know when the last time was they were changed. New plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor will never hurt anything!

Check your engine grounds too. So many people ignore the ground side of a circuit. There's 4 in yours. The ones for the spark system are the one from the lifting hook's bolt at the rear of the engine to the firewall right behind the head, AND the one from the body metal to the battery negative. They both matter. Just a thought.

A good idea, also, is any electrical plug you open up, put a dab of silicon dielectric grease into it before you close it up. That includes plug wires. It will keep the water, oil, dirt, crud and corruption out of your connections. Keep a tube of the stuff handy any time you work on your truck. You never know when it'll come in handy. Too much is messy, but otherwise harmless. A quick wipe, and away you go.

Good fortune to you!
Pat☺

Last edited by 2ToyGuy; 10-29-2023 at 02:02 PM.
TonyMojave (10-29-2023)
Old 10-31-2023, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by slacker
air , fuel and spark .. check to make sure you have spark
I would also try a squirt of starter fluid down the carb , if the needle and seat is not working or anything inside the carb is "stuck" it may not be delivering fuel .. the starter fluid will let you know
When you say starter fluid will let me know what do you mean exactly? I think it may be my carb thats the issue.
Old 11-01-2023, 07:10 AM

ether , avaliable at any parts store .. carefull though , very volatile
Old 11-01-2023, 07:56 AM

ether , avaliable at any parts store .. carefull though , very volatile

Is that the same as starter fluid? I have a different brand but didnt seem to do the trick.
Old 11-03-2023, 07:08 AM

yes ..

so you have spark ?
Old 11-03-2023, 08:18 AM

yes ..

so you have spark ?
I do have spark. But I was looking down my carb and i can see some sludge in there. I’m wondering if my jets are just plugged up. I can see gas in the little window.
Old 11-04-2023, 08:24 AM

yeah , you'll have to pull it off .. It was most likely stored with fuel in the carb and float bowl , it'll be all varnished and sludged
Old 11-04-2023, 08:31 AM

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Take some time to watch some Vice Grip Garage videos on YouTube. Derek will teach you how to enjoy the journey. 😀

Feed it some vitamins!

Your other option & probably best choice is to just sell your truck to me. 🤑

Good Luck
Old 11-05-2023, 09:08 AM

yeah , you'll have to pull it off .. It was most likely stored with fuel in the carb and float bowl , it'll be all varnished and sludged
Yup just as I suspected the carb was filthy. All the springs were seized. Got it pretty cleaned up and just about ready to go back in the truck. Wait on some new vacuum lines but hopefully this was my issue.
Old 11-05-2023, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Ivans’s
Take some time to watch some Vice Grip Garage videos on YouTube. Derek will teach you how to enjoy the journey. 😀

Feed it some vitamins!

Your other option & probably best choice is to just sell your truck to me. 🤑

Good Luck

Hahaha I am thinking about selling it once I get it running again. If you’re interested I can let you know when I sell if you want first dibs.
Ivans’s (11-05-2023)
Old 11-05-2023, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by TonyMojave
Hahaha I am thinking about selling it once I get it running again. If you’re interested I can let you know when I sell if you want first dibs.

And yeah i’ve actually been meaning to check out vice grip garage. But been watching nonsense knowhow and was inspired to I bought this truck to see if I could get it road worthy again.
Ivans’s (11-05-2023)