Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

1979 20R 2WD project.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1979 20R 2WD project.

I'm in the process of getting this truck back on the road. It sat ten years before I got it. Please follow along and offer any input to helping me get my truck going. I am a do it yourselfer person so forgive me for not understanding some things.
Things Ive done so far.

Fuel Pump,Fuel filter, Plugs, Fresh oil,Battery, some coolant (after a drain) and some gas(non-ethynol)

Before I cranked it I drained oil and squirted some marvel mystery in the cylinders. I let it sit over night and then manually rotated the engine. Let it sit most the day and repeated. Then the day after that I started her up and she purrrrrrred. Then a week later after fixing the clutch I cranked it up and she screamed so loud I thought it was gonna blow. My gas pedal was stuck on the floor. Well now it idle to high and I think the Carb is clogged with vacuum line that old.
Recently I removed the carb and my exhaust manifold which is cracked but I found another one.

Recently Ive ordered the Weber car and im in the process of desmogging.

Last edited by d-wood; 10-27-2012 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Need to ad pics
Old 10-27-2012, 07:46 PM

Find yourself a 22r block and make it run like a raped ape! Search for 22/20r hybrid and see if you're interested. If you want to swap to a 22r.....I want your 20r head! I've been looking for one of those.

I recommend LC Engineering for 20r parts. Their price is a little higher if you ask me but everything is stock specs or better. Pretty fast shipping too.

Check your timing and adjust your valves as I am 99% sure they are off. Most of your rubber lines are going to be dry rotted so you might want to look at ordering/making new ones. Might as well get some seals too for the valve and oil pan and replace them. For the oil pan I slapped some Indian head goo on there and there isn't a drop from that piece anymore.

Good luck though. I am slowly tearing and rebuilding mine right now too.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:49 PM

I plugged my intake. I need some more plugs but Ill get those tomorrow. I plugged my BVSV on the bottom of my intake. I might have some things that aren't suppose to be plugged but I just went crazy. LOL So dont look at this as a complete guide. I received my weber carb in so ill show more details as I go.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:03 PM

As an answer from your other thread the best way to clean all that junk off your block and intake is a bead blaster for the smaller parts. I guess you could fit a block in one and maybe a steam cleaner would take off some of it too....it's going to be hard work either way.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:03 PM

KryptoRoxx I ordered some block off plates from Lceengineering. Your right they do ship fast. Whats crazy is the first time I cranked the it purred like it wasn't missing but the next time I feel it got all clogged with with old vacuum lines. Also it only has 85,000 original miles on it. Just a question. When vehicles sit do the valves and timing get off? I'm a Diyer dont know how to do alot of things but am learning. So Im gonna try to get the basics done first. Also I know where theres 2 20r heads at right now if they have'nt sold yet. I could give you the number so you can call and see if they ship.There in a pull it yard.

Last edited by d-wood; 10-27-2012 at 08:11 PM. Reason: info edit
Old 10-28-2012, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
FYI, these kits are a weeeee bit better than just plugs. Those plugs will eventually dry rot and crack. Check these out, I highly recommend them:

http://www.lceperformance.com/Water-...-p/1032032.htm

https://www.lceperformance.com/Produ...32050&CartID=3
Old 10-28-2012, 05:41 PM

Those block plates are killer!! Im gonna use the cheap route for now until I get things running. How long do you think it will hold up? Also here is what I did today. I put some plugs on my exhaust manifold. Tap, tape, locktite(removable).
Old 10-28-2012, 06:32 PM

Damn and here I just dumped about 750 into my truck lol. I would appreciate the numbers anyway. I'm toying with the idea of putting a 22r block on an engine stand and building an engine knowing what's on the inside.

Glad you like lce man. If you have questions their tech is top notch too. However I find yotatech just as useful when it comes to our rigs.

I think the plugs will work for a time. To get a perfect "match" you'd want to tap them and loc tite them up.

As far as the timing and valves go they probably were fine while it was sitting. That magic stuff you used to free the cylinders is probably what did the trick since its a super lubricant/freeing agent. There's nothing really that you could have done to avoid it though without pulling the block and taking it apart.

Oh yeah just a word of advice. Don't spray paint your valve cover. I've already got chips and oil all over it from my hands. Put in the cash and powder coat them. Much more durable
Old 10-28-2012, 07:14 PM

Kryptoroxx, I did tap them. I just used removable locktite on them. Thanks for the warning on valve cover paint job. I'll probally just clean mine real good.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:18 PM

I missed that. They look great then. I just realized there was a simplier solution though. I got the exhaust manifold gasket from lc without the air holes. I haven't had any leaks yet
Old 10-28-2012, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by KryptoRoxx
I missed that. They look great then. I just realized there was a simplier solution though. I got the exhaust manifold gasket from lc without the air holes. I haven't had any leaks yet
That's a good idea. I didn't know of that or would have been all over it.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:06 PM

Do it when you do headers. Those will hold fine for now.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:54 PM

Im fixin to put this weber carb on that I got from www.webercarbsdirect.com
I wanted to know if anybody thought this was genuine or not. I did some research and some folks are saying it has to say made in Spain or have weber in the molded on the carb. I had one guy say it was fine but wanted what others think. I dont wanna have to buy other crap if its not the genuine.
Has anybody used the ones from webercarbsdirect with success? Thanks

Last edited by d-wood; 10-30-2012 at 06:56 PM. Reason: pic mod
Old 10-30-2012, 07:04 PM

It looks pretty legit to me but my truck came with it already on the engine.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by d-wood

That's a good idea. I didn't know of that or would have been all over it.
Oh and I talked to lc engineering today about what I did....they say it will leak....so I have to tap and cap my headers.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:14 PM

Oh and I talked to lc engineering today about what I did....they say it will leak....so I have to tap and cap my headers.
Good deal, so I actually did something right for a change.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:18 PM

It looks pretty legit to me but my truck came with it already on the engine.
Im worried if looks can be decieving. It has all the warnings of not being genuine after going through some images of others carbs. I think I will call them tomorrow on my lunch and see what the deal is. I've read a few stories about there service being shady so I guess I'll find out when I call. When I ordered they said it had made in Spain on it and all that good stuff.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by d-wood

Good deal, so I actually did something right for a change.
Lol. It was a better solution than mine once I thought about it and the stud pattern.

If you do find out it is a fake lc engineering does sell legit Weber's. They really are the best....and worst price lol. I groan every time I have to get parts from them but nothing has ever failed to be top quality.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:31 PM

This is what Ive got so far with the weber. I probally dont have it hooked up right but Ill read more tonight. Also I dont like that throttle bracket. I think I need a washer or two on it cause its rubbing something on my carb. Whats simple to some on trucks doesnt come as easy to me but Ill figure it out with the help of you guys, I just know it. LOL.

Ill get more pics later.

Last edited by d-wood; 11-01-2012 at 03:33 PM. Reason: pic mod
Old 11-01-2012, 06:03 PM

More pics of my carb install

Here's a some pics of my carb install. Im a little confused on all the hoses and throttle linkage but I thought pictures would help people see whats up and possibly.

Quick Reply: 1979 20R 2WD project.