Tool Time Discussions here pertain to the use of tools you use while fabbing and wrenching in the garage

$30.00 dollar garden sprayer brake bleeder.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 02:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$30.00 dollar garden sprayer brake bleeder.

After the HF brake bleeder not working, and having to find one of the kids to pump the brakes. I decided to give the garden sprayer build idea a try.

I followed the instructions on these two web sites.

http://faculty.ccp.edu/faculty/dreed...eder/index.htm

http://www.bmw-m.net/TechProc/bleeder.htm

My cost with tax is about $30.00 and it took me about two hours to put together. That much time is mainly because I had problems in a few spots getting the thing air tight. But a little JB weld fixed that in a hurry.

Ace Hardware used to sell the exact same 1/2 gal sprayer used in the off the self power bleeders, but they do not carry it anymore. The one in the pic is from lowes, and it seems it is the 1/2 gallon version that most stores cary now. it seems to work well.

I know pics of it didnt happen.

You will remove the factory sprayer nozzel and put the 1/4" barb fitting. When you remove the factory nozzel there will be a plastic stopper on the inside. Remove it and place into the brass barb fitting. It does not completely stop the flow when the pressure is at about 20psi. So you could actually leave that out if you wanted.

I removed the fluid level sensor from a mc cover that I had here and cut the center out fit in the barb fitting.

I worked great. The fluid in there is old scrap brake fluid that I was using on the semi torn down yoda I have in the garage to practice on. That will get replace before I do anything else with it.

I went hook it up to my 85 runner to show a picture of it in action and the plexi glass hold down for the MC cracked. So I will have to make a metal one tonight but here is link to what it will like on the MC.

http://store.motiveproducts.com/meta...ersal-p92.aspx

Later
Old 05-17-2010, 06:19 PM

The problem with this set up and our MC's is keeping a good seal on the MC cover. If it was one of the screw on type it would not be any problem.

The MC cover hold down is on mod 3 and worked very well tonight.

On the little pressure gauge I put on the garden sprayer, about 15psi seemed to be perfect.

I drained the system and refilled it, then put the garden sprayer pressure bleeder on for a good solid test of how well it works.

I was able to completely bleed all four wheel, and the LSPV in about 15 min.

Later

Last edited by TinMan; 05-17-2010 at 06:33 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:31 PM

Thanks but I cant take any credit for it. All found on the internet. I just needed something that worked because my wife said she was not going to pump anymore brake peddles. And my son is always doing homework. And I did not really feel like paying the $150.00 it would have cost for a motive products bleeder.

If you try it. put a drain pan under the MC. You will pop the seal a few times getting used to it. And once you pop the seal it takes a minute or two to let the air out of the system. And as long as the system has pressure in it, the flow will not stop.

Later
Old 02-23-2012, 05:08 PM

So do you put fluid in the sprayer?
Old 02-23-2012, 05:16 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by racerflea
So do you put fluid in the sprayer?
Correct.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:36 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I worked with a guy that made one from one of those beverage cooler things.