Product Reviews Post your reviews on automotive and expedition-camping gear here

Marlin Crawlers 4.7 t-case gears

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 05:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Marlin Crawlers 4.7 t-case gears

I picked a well used t-case a couple of months ago with the intentions of rebuilding it with the 4.7 gears. I wanted to do the install myself because I am curious and really wanted to know how it works.
After some online research, I decided that marlin was the best one to purchase from. I was right. First; I took the time to print out the detailed instructions that are on their site while I was waiting for it to arrive.Then I made a nice book with page protectors fo it to go in. Which is a good idea if you dont want to get grease all over the paper! Once I recieved the kit I started to clearance the case and check for proper fit. Then I started going step by step assembling it. The assembly was very easy to do and went almost without incident. It seems I came to a part that was not shipped to me ( my fault for nor inspecting the package before starting this). But after a call to Marlin they were happy to sent it free of charge ( of course) While Ihad them on the phone I asked of they had any front output shaft bearings ( Mine was shot), they dont carry new ones but they did have some that were used and in good shape. they also sent that to me free of charge! after that I was able to finish the job and install it in the rig.
First imperssions: It is slowwwwwwwww.
I havent taken the rig to any roocks yet, but I have had it on the beach, The gears are defiantely nice to have. I noticed that every gear ( and I do mean every gear) in low range pulls with a lot more torque than before.
I will be travelling to Tellico in the next month and will have more to update after.
All said, Marlin makes a great product and their service is top notch.
Old 04-12-2005, 05:15 PM
Contributing Member

now all you need is another case and you will be reeeaaaallllyyyy slow
Old 04-13-2005, 02:13 AM
Contributing Member

I have the other case. just not the adapter. I'm waiting to do an axle swap first, then the second case.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm gunna be getting these and attempting to install them myself next summer as well. I have a couple questions...

1. Did you need a press?
2. Could you tell me the mph range for 5th gear 4lo (like from idle speed to about 3k RPM)
3. How long did it take you approximately?
4. How did it end up working on the trail?

Sorry for the revival of the dead thread lol

Thanks!!
Old 11-14-2008, 05:30 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 89silverpu
I'm gunna be getting these and attempting to install them myself next summer as well. I have a couple questions...

1. Did you need a press?
2. Could you tell me the miles per hour range for 5th gear 4lo (like from idle speed to about 3k RPM)
3. How long did it take you approximately?
4. How did it end up working on the trail?

Sorry for the revival of the dead thread lol

Thanks!!
1. No
2. I can start in 5th gear, so, 0-15 mph, which is 3k (mind, this is on a 4.88 geared diff with 33" tires)
3. 12 hours truck driving to truck driving
4. Amazing on hard trails. It was night and day difference. It got annoying on easy trails.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by AxleIke
1. No
2. I can start in 5th gear, so, 0-15 miles per hour, which is 3k (mind, this is on a 4.88 geared diff with 33" tires)
3. 12 hours truck driving to truck driving
4. Amazing on hard trails. It was night and day difference. It got annoying on easy trails.
1. any other specific tools needed an average garage mechanic wouldn't have?
2. so this would mean with 4.10's and 31's I'd go a little faster?
3. was this you by yourself?
4. does it stall when crawling over moderate rocks without giving it gas or does it just walk up it?

Oh and 4 hi is unaffected right?

Thanks!!
Old 11-14-2008, 08:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That marlin 4.70 is great! Twin Stick is great!! I love em almost as much as my ELocker.

I did the same mod last month, and added their twin-stick at the same time. AWESOME Not a difficult mod, you need a 4" angle grinder (mine from harbor freight), bench grinder, and access to a press...

5th low, is juuuust under 1st high... perfect.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:43 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by misterzee
That marlin 4.70 is great! Twin Stick is great!! I love em almost as much as my ELocker.

I did the same mod last month, and added their twin-stick at the same time. AWESOME Not a difficult mod, you need a 4" angle grinder (mine from harbor freight), bench grinder, and access to a press...

5th low, is juuuust under 1st high... perfect.
You don't need a press. You can get the bearing on by simply heating the bearing, and freezing the shaft.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:45 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 89silverpu
1. any other specific tools needed an average garage mechanic wouldn't have?
2. so this would mean with 4.10's and 31's I'd go a little faster?
3. was this you by yourself?
4. does it stall when crawling over moderate rocks without giving it gas or does it just walk up it?

Oh and 4 hi is unaffected right?

Thanks!!
4hi is unaffected. Toyota transfer cases use a "straight Through" high range, meaning, in high range, the transmisison output is connected directly to the tcase output, no gearing.

4.10's and 31's would be a little bit faster yes, but probably not noticeable.

Yes, it was all by myself.

No, you cannot walk right up without giving it gas. I can do that now at 10.7:1 low range, but 4.7:1 will stall out still.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:23 PM

Good thread I'm getting ready to do mine also. Just a quick (?) when you say clearance the case do you mean inside of it so the larger gears will fit in it? I have seen a few threads similar to this one but never specified. Any pics would help....thanks
Old 02-24-2010, 07:28 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by cincy85runner
Good thread I'm getting ready to do mine also. Just a quick (?) when you say clearance the case do you mean inside of it so the larger gears will fit in it? I have seen a few threads similar to this one but never specified. Any pics would help....thanks
Download and print out the color install guide on Trail Gear's website.