Product Reviews Post your reviews on automotive and expedition-camping gear here
Old 03-30-2016, 01:49 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Toyota Tacoma Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

K&N drop in air filters

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 10:52 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
K&N drop in air filters

anyone impressed by them? i sure as hell ain't. i guess being able to clean and reuse is nice, but there is zero performance benefits. marketing BS. oh well, i guess it worked on me
Old 11-22-2005, 12:37 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i dont know if mine does anything i have a fipk it came with my truck when i bought it i haveint cleaned it for a year
Old 11-22-2005, 01:05 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont think it does anything. But it does increase intake noise, which is good....and you will save money on not having to buy filters.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:11 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I noticed an immediate power gain and better acceleration
Old 11-22-2005, 06:58 AM
Contributing Member

The deckplate mod with a K&N or Amsoil or another high flow filter willl net about 6-8whp which isn't much to feel but it is proven horsepower and every little bit helps.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:05 PM

i went back to paper mine let in tons of dirt even when well oiled
Old 12-18-2005, 09:00 PM

i just dropped one in yesterday and it replaced a stock air filter. I also changed my oil and put in castrol syntec 10W-30 and a fram filter.. im getting significantly better gas mileage.. i havent calculated but im speculating about 1.5 mpg.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:19 AM

my truck runs a lot better than stock up here in the cold country where we already fight oil from freezing up and snapping axles cause your tires froze to the ground ! i live off a huge glacier run off river wich generates alot of high winds off the mountains and pushes huge amounts of glacier silt into the air wich actually leaves a brown cloud looming in the air !

the silt is super fine and finds its way into every orfice of my ruck except my intake . it does a great job if oiled right and cleaned often when it starts to get dirty i notice a big difference in performance right away . and when combined with a good header/exhaust will will really see the difference with it .allows for much better unrestricted air flow .

i used to work with dyno jet dyno in school in pheonix and yes just adding the air filter usually netted ya 2-5 horsepower by itself . so no its not just hype . its not nitrous or a super charger just a free flowing air filter .
Old 12-19-2005, 08:15 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
bornchaos, sounds good except you gotta toss that fram filter... NOW.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:10 PM

My drop in had let in alot of dirt/ grim. Even after I clean/ reoil it. Now im goin with a homemade adapter/cone filter.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by SizzleChest
anyone impressed by them? i sure as hell ain't. i guess being able to clean and reuse is nice, but there is zero performance benefits. marketing BS. oh well, i guess it worked on me
haha, here goes the k&n bashing thread again...just kidding. but i'm pleased with mine, even after three years of use...just keep it clean and when you do clean don't over-oil it, like most people do...it was worth the $50 something i spent imo...
Old 04-09-2008, 02:20 PM

i had one in my 4runner...I know I got better mpg than my friends with tacomas of the same size which was kind of a surprise because the 4runner is heavier.
My only complaint was the fit was not perfect...this would explain some of you with dirt getting in...the filter has a sorry a$$ bracket that adapted for the K&N being too lazy to make the right size for toyotas.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:35 PM

K&N's aren't just horribly efficient at filtration efficiency, but they're also the worst "reusable" gauze type air filter on the market. Their quality has dropped as they've become a household name and market leader. They use only 4 layers of media in their air filters, many other companies use as many as 8 layers.
Anyway, you wouldn't put a "one-size-fits-all spark plug in your truck would you? Or how about a universal motor oil? Then why would you entertain the idea of putting a filter in a Toyota that was not designed for it at all?
K&N only makes one kind of filter...That K&N filter you put in your 4Runner or Tacoma is made of the exact same filtering material K&N recommends for motorcycles, diesels, old carbureted farm trucks, race cars, etc. What does that tell you?
Obligatory K&N rant is over. Thank you, carry on. Be sure to tip your server.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by BornChaos
i just dropped one in yesterday and it replaced a stock air filter. I also changed my oil and put in castrol syntec 10W-30 and a fram filter.. im getting significantly better gas mileage.. i havent calculated but im speculating about 1.5 mpg.
Yeah, you're getting better mileage because there's no filtering media in that Fram to fight the flow of oil! lol
Old 04-09-2008, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by bob200587
and you will save money on not having to buy filters.
Just tell me you don't believe that "million mile filter" claim of theirs. There's no free lunch in the auto parts world, and reusable filters are no exception.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:10 PM
Contributing Member

I absolutly LOVE my K&N drop in filter. i've had it for 30,000kms, 3 years and i clean it out at least twice a year. if you clean it as often as it says then yes it will sucks noodles in performance. i got a much better MPG increase with it and the fact that i dont have to buy new ones all the time is SOOOO NICE
Old 04-09-2008, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by spindleshanks
Just tell me you don't believe that "million mile filter" claim of theirs. There's no free lunch in the auto parts world, and reusable filters are no exception.
sorry bro, but i won't tip the server in this case, and here's why:
look on the K&N website, and it says they're made of 4 to 6 layers, in between the 2 epoxy-coated aluminum wire screens, which is not = to just 4 layers, so i think you're wrong there. also, they're claim of 50k miles between cleaning intervals does hold up, as my dad's '02 F250 diesel filter was not cleaned for right at 51k miles, yet he suffered no real drop in mileage or performance while driving 120 miles a day on the highway to work 5 days a week. and also, i believe the "million mile filter" claim is true, as long as you don't go out and submerge you air filter in mud every weekend, as my grandad's '92 Dodge Ram 250 with the original 5.9 cummins in it has over 440k on it, and he put a K&N in it when it had less than 1k on it...so the proof is definitely out there...
Old 04-09-2008, 08:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
just the fact you can clean it makes it a money saver
Old 11-19-2008, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by premirrider
My drop in had let in alot of dirt/ grim. Even after I clean/ reoil it. Now im goin with a homemade adapter/cone filter.
whats the easiest way to do this w/stock airbox???
Old 06-19-2009, 09:55 AM

some people swear by the k and n filters but i've never bought into the hype....yeah it's reusable but do you think you actually get all the dirt out when you clean it?....not possible...maybe most of it but not all of it....more airflow?...think about this....that means less filtering....that's the only way it could be possible from an engineering standpoint...i'm not saying a k and n won't work but i wouldn't recommend it....i mean just stop being cheap and go pay $20 for a normal air filter and change it out according to the maintenance schedule....oh and yeah i used to use fram oil filters all the time in the past but i've heard bad things about them so i only use factory oil filters in my cars and trucks now.....other than that i hear the mobil 1 oil filter is a good one to use

Quick Reply: K&N drop in air filters