Trip-Trail Reports & Photos Share trail reports and your digitized photos here

Okinawa Offroadin (plenty o pics, actually a lot)

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 06:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okinawa Offroadin (plenty o pics, actually a lot)

Hey sup guys. This was pretty much my first time out in my runner. I got it less then two months ago. Its a 93 diesel hilux surf with the EFI 2L engine.

Well onto the adventure. Our first stop was down a dirt road my friend has been wanting to go down since he knew there had to be something there. Well we went in and place is pretty well vegitaded as you can from the pics. Gave my poor runner some nice pinstripes. Well we werent there very long since the trail pretty much was washed away and there was too much risk of falling off the edge.

Ahead of my friends surf is the path thats pretty much been overgown onto and washed away.

I took this one out the sunroof to show a bit of the pinstripe making path.

After that we went out to a spot with some mud. I was pretty impressed with how my mudslick tires did. I didnt get stuck once. Almost did and was about to give up when as I took my foot off the gas the truck just climbed out. Guess I was gasing it too much! Wish I got a pic of the hole I dug myself into but I didnt. Well onto the pics I did take.

Heres a couple shots of the ocean on the way to the spot.

And heres the first mud hole on the way in. Its all clay mud under the water. Not a good friend of my mud slicks.

Right after that my friend decided to get stuck. And we just got there!

Heres a pic of my runner with my friend stuck behind me hehe.

"Alright get the strap"

After I pulled him out. We discovered he had a flat. Hes trying to put a can of that fix-a-flat in it. It didnt work.

His spare was under his truck and really muddy. So I let him use mine. And were good to go for more wheelin!

Heres my friend going through a wet spot that would later hydrolock his motor. Right after where his truck is in the pic is a pretty deep hole. He made it through fine this time.

I think the puddle did this.

At the end of one of the trails is this spot. Where I think I will go snorkling this weekend.

A couple pics of me going through the puddle that later hydrolocks my friends engine.

Heres my friend stuck again! Hes framed out. The ruts were way too big.

I took this pic shortly after I got out of the spot I almost got stuck in.

And heres the hydrolock action I was talking about. Made it through the dip then stopped.

And heres the last pic (whew was kind of a lot eh?) We took the glowplugs out, cranked the water out, reinstalled them and drove home!
Old 05-11-2006, 06:56 AM
Contributing Member

Looks like you guys had lots of fun! What part of the island is that?
Old 05-11-2006, 06:59 AM
Contributing Member

Cool pics! I never did make it to okinawa, it's cool to see some pics of it.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:00 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
It's beautiful out there.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:00 PM

cool pics. seems like you guys had it pretty easy when it comes to hydrolocking. is it less harmful on a diesel engine than a gas engine?
Old 05-11-2006, 03:08 PM

Good looking pics,

what i thought was odd is you left your plate numbers on and blocked out your faces :-)
Old 05-11-2006, 04:00 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
ya i was thinking the same thing... why block out the faces?
Old 05-11-2006, 08:44 PM

Heh I wasnt sure if my friends would be ok with me posting them up. I didnt block out the plates cause I figured a lot less people have the resources to look up JDM plates heh.

That spot is in between kadena and nago. Its next to maeda point if you know the area.

Im not sure about the hydrolocking on gas vs. diesel. I would think it would be the same, except you have sparkplugs that need to be dried with a gas engine. If you ask me I think the diesel is just a lot tougher all together. I just recently gave a diesel surf to a friend that I replaced the head on. This surf was given to me because the previous owner thought the engine was a total loss. A friend of his drove it with a leaking radiator and it overheated to the point of seizing the block, warping the head, and blowing the headgasket. Then when it cooled down he proceeded to drive it to work. He got a new radiator and continued driving it till it wouldn't drive anymore. Well when I pulled the oil plug nothing but coolant came out for a few seconds. Anyways I swapped the head and it runs strong!

Last edited by Zenkai; 05-11-2006 at 08:45 PM.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:42 PM

Nice pics.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very nice pics, thanks for sharing.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:25 PM

Yahpari! Sugoi no Toyota Desu! Gam ba te neh?!

Dude, I used to stop over there back in the 80's when in the Navy(USS Juneau LPD10) I always thought the beaches were awesome! When I first got to Okinawa, I had to take the Suppo and the FLight Boss out and translate for women and booze..(I grew up in Tokyo for 9 years when I was a kid so I speak Fluent Japanese..)

That swamp looke ddeep the trick is to keep a wake going and a steady speed...below the headlights...
Looks like a good time ..hope there was a carwash near by.. :>

Sayonara Neh?

Keep on Wheelin!

Last edited by tog2; 05-12-2006 at 07:27 PM.
Old 05-13-2006, 08:00 AM
Contributing Member

Nice pics! I was just in Naha a couple months ago!
Old 05-16-2006, 06:03 AM

Those runners are crazy! Nice pics!
Old 05-16-2006, 01:05 PM

Thats awsome! I gotta make it over to Japan someday.
Old 05-21-2006, 04:33 AM

Awesome pics! I havn't been out to Onna in a while. I flooded my motor there as well lol. I've also gotten stuck in those ruts your friend got into haha.

Heres mine at Onna.
Old 05-21-2006, 04:41 AM

Sup man, I thought I knew you for a second there. Your surf looks EXACTLY like my friends.

Do you know of any other places to go? Ive been down a dirt road to look for something once and it took a long ass time to get out, then I thought I was lost.

Ive heard about an abandonded golf course up north from a lot of people. Ill need to find it one of these days.
Old 05-21-2006, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Zenkai
Sup man, I thought I knew you for a second there. Your surf looks EXACTLY like my friends.

Do you know of any other places to go? Ive been down a dirt road to look for something once and it took a long ass time to get out, then I thought I was lost.

Ive heard about an abandonded golf course up north from a lot of people. Ill need to find it one of these days.
Ah yes, the golf course. Its not a golf course, or was never one. No one knows why people call it that. But its pretty cool, if your rig is made for rock crawling. I've gone through a few trails up there. I punctured my rear bumper, almost broke my IFS (went through a deep puddle to fast that had a huge bump that I didnt see. The truck didint like that stunt very well lol :pat:

But the normal rig can do most of the trails. Prepared to get a new pinstripe job though. I got one all the way down my left side :pat:
Old 01-06-2008, 06:19 PM

well to let you guys know the 4x4s are still going strong on Okinawa here is a link to my club with pics and vids
http://www.2kboffroad.com/membersrides
www.2kboffroad.com/themudpit
Old 01-07-2008, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mudfreak
Ah yes, the golf course. Its not a golf course, or was never one. No one knows why people call it that. But its pretty cool, if your rig is made for rock crawling. I've gone through a few trails up there. I punctured my rear bumper, almost broke my IFS (went through a deep puddle to fast that had a huge bump that I didnt see. The truck didint like that stunt very well lol :pat:

But the normal rig can do most of the trails. Prepared to get a new pinstripe job though. I got one all the way down my left side :pat:
it was being build as a golf course never was done cuz they ran out of money its off limits now you can get in big trouble if you are cought up there. it was and still is the best place to go. there is a big area further up north that is not to bad. Ohna is some what ify about going there too i lke the mud at Ohna in 5 minutes you can have so much mud on your rig you cant even tell the coror of it but its some hard to get off. if you go here you can see pics of the club its mix of rigs yotas mitsus jimnys nissans and land bruisers www.2kboffroad.com/membersrides

Last edited by 80cj3b; 01-07-2008 at 02:20 PM.