Trip-Trail Reports & Photos Share trail reports and your digitized photos here

Marlin Crawler Roundup trip report

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 08:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Marlin Crawler Roundup trip report

This weekend was the Marlin Crawler round up on the Rubicon. 156 rigs were registered for the trip. I left Thursday after work and stayed at Robbs Resort on Icehouse road. Friday morning we pulled out and met Marlin at the bottom of the dam for the drivers meeting. There were sweet Toys every direction you looked!! Aside from whole Marlin team alot of other prominent people showed up as well. Bobby Long, Demello and their sick truck, 4WD Toyota Owner Mag Editor in chief, UDS, and Bent up were all there to name a few.

I was in the lead group with Marlin leading. We had about 30 rigs with us. It was slow going but a lot of fun. We had lunch at Little Sluice and watched some guys tear up their junk. I camped at Buck Island Friday night but most of that first group pushed on to the Springs. Saturday morning we got up early and kept trucking for Rubicon Springs. Once again there were Toyotas every direction you looked.

Halfway down Big Sluice I lost my power steering. Wheeling with a detroit, 37's and no power steering is a chore! Mad props to old heads that did it like that all the time. Besides that the trip to the Springs was fairly uneventful. I did take two lines that I didn't make last time through there including the one where I busted my tie rod off. I rolled into the Springs about 230pm, set up camp and walked around looking at everyone's sweet rigs.

The dinner Saturday night was awesome. Also they had a huge raffle. They pulled tickets for almost 2 hours. Of course I didn't win squat. After all that they built a huge hot fire and everyone partied.

Sunday morning we packed up and rolled out towards Cadillac Hill. Right away it got backed up. First a guy was in a very technical steep spot and killed his engine in an auto. Somehow he took of backwards, rolled about 30 feet, launched over the hill, and slammed the ONLY tree there about 10 feet over the hill. Had he not hit that tree he would have tumbled at least 100 yards down a near vertical cliff. He was very very lucky. After that a guy was towing a buddy who was 2WD and snapped his whole front spring in half. There was rigs backed up for a long ways in that cluster. We finally got everyone cleared though and pressed on for Tahoe.

Overall it was an awesome trip. The Rubicon is an insane trail. Just me personally I saw a blown motor, a blown igniter, T-case broke in half, third member broke off an axle, broken leaf spring, broken steering arm, numerous dents and lenses broke, a flop right in camp...there is probably more I'm just not thinking of.

On to the pics!

Miss FJ

Waiting at Gatekeeper

The man himself and the coolest mini truck on the planet

Uhhhh ya...

Yes that's a Solid Front Axle!!

A crazy 90 pickup on 49.5" Iroks

Little Sluicebox

This is why you don't drink and wheel.. this guy was showing off and flopped right in camp.

Marlins triple set up... 1372:1!!

Just a few gearheads showed up

Another rig on 49.5's with someone standing next to it for size comparison

This is the guy that had his bacon saved by one tree

Here are a couple videos also.

Last edited by UKMyers; 09-17-2007 at 02:34 PM.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:39 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Awesome coverage Joey!

Nice to see Amanda's rig out there too with the new SAS on it.

Did they flog that guy for drinking and driving?
Not good for our image for sure.

Excellent pictures, getting ready to watch the videos.

Read the coverage of Marlin too in the new Toyota 4WD Owner magazine, good coverage and background on him.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:42 AM

very nice. are you going to post up on marlin! bigmike started a thread.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:54 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Aaronb
very nice. are you going to post up on marlin! bigmike started a thread.
Yup the same stuff is up over there too. Corey the guy that flopped was dealt with. Also Marlin was signing everyones 4WD Toy owner mags in the dinner line. Awesome article!

Last edited by UKMyers; 09-17-2007 at 08:56 AM.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:14 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by UKMyers
Corey the guy that flopped was dealt with. Also Marlin was signing everyones 4WD Toy owner mags in the dinner line. Awesome article!
A toothbrush and cleaning everyone's rear diff would have been nice

Yes, that article really went into depth how Marlin came into the business.