Trip-Trail Reports & Photos Share trail reports and your digitized photos here

Death Valley 2006

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 12:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by BruceTS

Who's rig is the 3rd gen (near Lance & bringing up the rear) with the sweet tire carrier? Any chance of getting some photos on how that bad boy attaches to the truck?
Old 03-29-2006, 12:17 PM
Banned

thats bruce!

looks like its just in the hitch
Old 03-29-2006, 12:18 PM
Contributing Member

that is bruce's homemade hitch tire carrier. It's similiar to the CBI design.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:02 PM

hey lance any idea where i can get a map of the area you guys covered??
Old 03-29-2006, 05:05 PM
Contributing Member

I'm just playing around with a hitch carrier design, It's similar to CBI's but wraps around the outside the hitch reciever and a through bolt holds everything very tight. When I built it, I forgot about the third brake light being blocked, so I plan to lower the tire so it's exposed, otherwise it held up just fine.

Lances carrier has just the opposite problem, the tire hangs down a bit too low, so that will be raised. Also there are a few additional tubes that still need to be added to his. I had plans to build something similar for my rig, with the swing down design, it can double as a cook top or extend the sleeping area....
Old 03-29-2006, 05:26 PM
Contributing Member

lone runner: check out rei or any sporting good store. You can easily find em online too btw.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:15 PM

cool...thx for the reply

eric
Old 03-29-2006, 09:56 PM
Contributing Member

My pictures: here
Old 03-30-2006, 09:11 AM
Contributing Member

Bruce... I like that idea much better than throwing a spare on the roof. Plus I like the obvious "removeable" factor for normal street driving. Any plans on making some and offering it to the group? For a reasonable price, I'd be in for one.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We’re back! Audrey and I arrived back in Sacto late last night after caravanning 8 hours with Scott and Molly (and dogs Rowyer and Shelby), then we diverted another 1.5 hours to pick up the Indie dog at her boarding place/vacation retreat. Both of us had a wonderful time and we enjoyed meeting everyone.

Highlights of the trip:
Meeting fellow Yotatech’ers (turns out Scottiac lives two blocks from me!)
Eating cheez-its in Manson’s chair
Finding mud (and lots of it!) in the driest place in California. Better yet, watching the look on everyone’s faces when a line of 4Runners (and Ryan’s lonesome Tacoma) roll by completely covered in mud
Little bit of pucker-factor on Chicken Rock (thanks for all the great spotters!)
“Bob’s ember” and even funnier, his wife Patty’s unwillingness to help because she thought he was pulling another prank
Finding free electrical contact cleaner in Furnace Creek (to clean my dirty MAF)
Scottiac, Audrey and I beating a line of 20 dirty and tired mountain bikers to the showers. (Ever see the movie “it’s a mad mad mad mad world?”)

Those of you that left on Monday missed a stop at Badwater to check out the dried mudflats, the paddlenbike MAF cleaning party and an awesome dinner at the steakhouse in Furnace Creek. Ryan and Steven left for San Diego after dinner. The steak and seafood pretty much absorbed any remaining energy in our bodies so bedtime rolled around early Monday night.

Tuesday
Bruce left early Tuesday morning, leaving Lance and Yoko, Scott and Molly, Audrey and I to represent YT. We did a beautiful hike up Golden Canyon towards Zabriskie Point and had the opportunity to check out some open mines on the way down the mountain. Lance and Yoko headed home after the hike. Scott, Molly, Audrey and I continued-on to the saltflats at Badwater, the lowest point in the continental U.S. at 282 ft below sea level. The sky was becoming cloudy and we departed quickly to try and squeeze in the half-mile hike to the Natural Bridge. Molly, Audrey and I began the hike up the canyon, leaving Scott behind to watch the dogs. As we reached the bridge the rain started and minutes later we found ourselves standing in a flood channel with rain coming down at full force. We were wearing shorts and thin rain jackets and were using the hoods to cover our faces; the rain was so intense it was stinging our skin. We were within 1/8 mile of the trucks and decided to take a breather under an overhang to get out of the weather, which proved to be very enjoyable for a very brief time until pebbles and rocks started falling from the hillside--$@#$%! We looked at each other and ran as fast as we could fearing we would be buried under a few tons of ancient rock. Five to ten minutes later we were back in our trucks, sopping wet from head to toe. Scott was sitting in his 4Runner reading book—dry as a bone and happy as a clam. He laughed at our misfortune. Back in our 4Runners we drove around the Artist’s Drive Loop and checked out the sites at Artist’s Palete, followed by a drive-by at Harmony Borax Works, through Mustard Canyon, and a 45 minute visit of the museum in Furnace Creek. After showering, we decided to get out of the weather for a bit and eat dinner at the Café. Burgers and beers all around (except Molly and the dogs), some conjecture around the campfire, eating smores and enjoying the light rain, it was the end of another great day.

Wednesday
We departed the campground at 7:30 and headed up the mountain towards Ryolite, but found ourselves sitting behind a road closure sign with 30 minute waits at both ends. We decided to turn around and head home, stopping briefly at the sand dunes on the way out of the valley. The Toyota dealership in Bishop had an FJ Cruiser (already sold, of course) sitting on the lot and we couldn’t help but park our dirty 3rd gens and take a look at Toyota’s shiny new creation. Impressive mechanicals, nice interior, bad blind spots. Nice truck, nonetheless. Stopped for Mexican food on our way out of Bishop, trudged through the snowy passes near Mammoth Lakes, over Deadman’s Summit and again over Kingsbury Grade in Tahoe.

That’s it for now; pics will be posted later. Looking forward to hooking up again this summer for the Mammoth run.

Ken & Audrey
Old 03-30-2006, 12:29 PM

Great pics and stories from all.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:35 PM
Contributing Member

I wish I could have stayed with the group for Tuesday as I wanted to wheel some more. The hike sounds like fun, I wish I didn't have to go home to get my brother on a computer :cry:

Steve had a great time and he thoroughly enjoyed driving my truck.
Old 03-30-2006, 02:57 PM

Nice pics, looks like a good time was had by all.

Originally Posted by ErikJeanna
I like that idea much better than throwing a spare on the roof.
What's wrong with the stock location? It will fit up to a 33"(deflated slightly) and I doubt you'll be on a trail where it would hang up on something.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:14 PM
Contributing Member

I didn't know a 33" would fit... I thought AT BEST a 31" would. I'm trying to get a hold of a used 33 MT and have a lock on a stock 16" rim. It'd be nice if it would fit...
Old 03-30-2006, 11:16 PM
Contributing Member

Fully inflated a 31" will fit.
The keyword in Rob's post is deflated. I've got a deflated 32" spare under my truck and there are no fitment issues - even with the hitch mount invading the space.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:12 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RobT2k
What's wrong with the stock location? It will fit up to a 33"(deflated slightly) and I doubt you'll be on a trail where it would hang up on something.
Without a hitch it will fit no problem. With a hitch it may not fit depending on the type of hitch that you have.

I keep my spare underneath and even on very difficult trails it will rarely hit. Even when it does hit it has never hung me up. Sometimes it actually cusions the blow that the bumper would have taken.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This was just posted on Car & Driver...as much as I dislike their review of 4WD vehicles, they tested the FJ Cruiser, Hummer H3, Grand Cherokee and Xterra Off-road and used Mengel Pass as their test trail. Mengel Pass was one of my favorite trails we did last week.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...uiser-4wd.html
Old 03-31-2006, 10:20 AM
Contributing Member

i have the stock Toyota hitch
Old 03-31-2006, 08:40 PM

Looks like you guys had fun!!! Boy did I miss out!! I'll try to make the next trip!!!
Old 04-01-2006, 12:26 PM

Holy Smokes!! Your avatar..."Houston, We Have Liftoff!!"

Originally Posted by JRunner90
Looks like you guys had fun!!! Boy did I miss out!! I'll try to make the next trip!!!

Quick Reply: Death Valley 2006