Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

10 years, 140k+ miles, first stranding...

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 02:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
10 years, 140k+ miles, first stranding...

Son of a...

I had it towed to my house.

Here's what happened:

Started up just fine, was driving for maybe 6 or 7 minutes. Everything seemed normal, power was fine. Everything seemed normal.

I pull up to a light and I hear a sizzling sound. I was like...

So I pull over into a parking lot - as I do, the sizzling is more pronounced and steam is coming out from under the hood. I reached for the key and was turning it off as I watched the temp guage start to climb (I killed it just as it hit the red area)

So, it sits outside awaiting some warm weather for me to tear into it. It appears likely that it is a coolant bypass hose/fitting from some reliable folks I've discussed it with. I initially thought headgasket, but I didn't have any of the symptoms. We'll see what we find...

If it is something catastrophic, we will see a 1UZFE swap sooner than anticipated...
Old 03-03-2005, 02:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
damn, sorry to hear aboot the bad luck
Old 03-03-2005, 03:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cebby, you have to have one of the nicest looking 2nd gens I have seen.

Anyway, I am glad you at least had the wherewithall to shut down the engine to prevent further damage.
Hopefully it is nothing serious.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:23 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Dats what dem dare gagez iz fur ya lunk head...it payz ta watchem

Good luck getting it fixed...and keep us posted on what exactly turns out to be the culprit.

Old 03-03-2005, 03:24 PM

Looks freezing cold

Hard to imagine any engine over heating in the type of weather shown in the picture.

Of course, I know better than to know its engine related and not weather related.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:30 PM
lee
Contributing Member

damn man, bad luck. let us know how it goes.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:44 PM

It sounds like a radiator hose or something came loose. Did you have the chance to give it a preliminary lookover? I don't see how a blown head gasket would allow enough coolant to leak out to cause lots of steam and hissing.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:58 PM

This was centralized at the rear of the engine. Coolant leaking onto the crossover pipe caused the steam. When it happened, I was late for a Dr. appt, so i had to walk about a mile in 20mph wind and snow (this happpened yesterday actually - got it towed today) I gave it a look while I was waiting to get towed and didn't see anything glaring.
Old 03-03-2005, 04:00 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Cebby
This was centralized at the rear of the engine. Coolant leaking onto the crossover pipe caused the steam. When it happened, I was late for a Dr. appt, so i had to walk about a mile in 20mph wind and snow (this happpened yesterday actually - got it towed today) I gave it a look while I was waiting to get towed and didn't see anything glaring.
So, you gonna sell the 4runner & mod the jeep?
Old 03-03-2005, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by tulsa_97SR5
So, you gonna sell the 4runner & mod the jeep?
You on crack or sum'tin?
Old 03-03-2005, 04:04 PM

lots of hose back there that can go out...I hope for you that it is the only easy heater hose one of those that goes to rear heater...the rest are just a PITA to change out.....Love the blue.... Good luck
Old 03-03-2005, 04:08 PM
Contributing Member

You on crack or sum'tin?
sum'tin. Just checking, haven't heard about any issues with the jeep so I thought maybe you had , nah nevermind. I can't even type this with a straight face.
Old 03-03-2005, 04:09 PM

Location: Far western Kentucky (transplanted from central PA)
I'll be keepin' my fingers crossed that it's a simple fix and no damage (them 'Yota engines ARE tough!).
Old 03-03-2005, 04:11 PM

It appears likely that it is a coolant bypass hose/fitting
That's what I was thinking too, and let's hope so because that should be a cheap and easy fix. Could be a blown hose or the seal between the coolant by-pass outlet and the intake manifold could have failed.... Or maybe your HG blew so bad that it's actually spraying coolant out from between your head and block.
Old 03-03-2005, 04:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Must be something in the water...but my story is dumber.

12 years, 190k+ first stranding...ran out of gas about 1/4 mile from my apt and about a block from a gas station. I was stuck at a light, making a left turn, blocking traffic for the people who wanted to turn left. I called my friend to come tow me to the gas station. A cop happens by and notices my tow strap that I've hooked up to the tow hook. She stops and says I can't tow it because it's illegal and dangerous.

She makes me call AAA for a tow truck to tow my 4runner 1 block to the gas station. The tow truck takes 30 minutes to get there, while my friend who could have towed me 1 block watches and takes pictures. In the course of the 30 minutes, hundreds of people are forced to dangerously merge into the lane next to me in order to make a left turn. .

In hindsight, I should have had my friend go get me gas at the gas station 1 block away.

In my defense, my gas gauge isn't working quite right and my tripmeter was pretty low. And, I was on my way to the gas station.

Feel better Cebby?
Old 03-03-2005, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by tulsa_97SR5
sum'tin. Just checking, haven't heard about any issues with the jeep so I thought maybe you had , nah nevermind. I can't even type this with a straight face.
Old 03-03-2005, 04:28 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Robinhood150
Must be something in the water...but my story is dumber.

12 years, 190k+ first stranding...ran out of gas about 1/4 mile from my apt and about a block from a gas station. I was stuck at a light, making a left turn, blocking traffic for the people who wanted to turn left. I called my friend to come tow me to the gas station. A cop happens by and notices my tow strap that I've hooked up to the tow hook. She stops and says I can't tow it because it's illegal and dangerous.

She makes me call AAA for a tow truck to tow my 4runner 1 block to the gas station. The tow truck takes 30 minutes to get there, while my friend who could have towed me 1 block watches and takes pictures. In the course of the 30 minutes, hundreds of people are forced to dangerously merge into the lane next to me in order to make a left turn. .

In hindsight, I should have had my friend go get me gas at the gas station 1 block away.

In my defense, my gas gauge isn't working quite right and my tripmeter was pretty low. And, I was on my way to the gas station.

Feel better Cebby?
Oh that is hilarious Steve...how many shades of red did your face turn and how many times did folks who were trying to turn tell you that you were #1???

Old 03-03-2005, 05:02 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nah, the only reason I would have turned red was because I was mad since either the cop had no common sense or she wasn't allowed to use common sense because of scum sucking lawyers.

I live in a pretty nice neighborhood so I had a bunch of people ask if I needed help.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Robinhood150
Feel better Cebby?
I'd feel better if it still ran... :cry:
Old 03-03-2005, 07:42 PM

nice cat.

oh, and sorry bout the runner, you'll get her fixed!

wade

Quick Reply: 10 years, 140k+ miles, first stranding...