Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

Are you computer savy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 08:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay351
Its wierd.
The camera lights up when its connected but the computer just dosnt reconize it..
It could definitely be a USB issue. My usb sometimes has a weird issue and will quit working. If I move to another port, it may or may not work. But the other port will be dead until a restart....

I once had a USB card that had issues. On a mac you have to eject things like cameras and cards, like you would a disk or stop a drive on a PC. If you eject it, it leaves the desktop and then you can remove it.

I once had a USB card that I would eject it, and it would disappear off the desktop, then reappear before I could remove it...which is a no-no. Turned out the aftermarket card had a short or some issue. Once I removed it, everything worked fine. Replaced the card...they are cheap, and it solved the problem.

I also have one card reader (USB) that does the same thing you are describing. You put a card in, the light comes on, and nothing happens...funny thing, it only happens with SD cards, not compact flash or smart media. USB things are just fickle sometimes. Have you tried the Camera on another computer?

Last edited by nieuwendyk-25; 06-15-2007 at 08:44 PM.
Old 06-16-2007, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by nieuwendyk-25
Before telling me to "lay off" maybe you should read my whole post! I did give some suggestions on card readers, and part of the issue is probably system related. Windows is not as stable as the Mac OS, and MACS are much better at peripheral compatability since they don't need "Drivers". I have 12 PC's at my business and two Macs, the PC's have problems and compatability issues every day, the only issue I have had with my macs is a battery issue on my laptop. While it may not be the anwer he was looking for, and was partly meant as a joke (all these PC issues crack me up), it would most likely make his photography life easier.

By the way I believe it is LINUX....
Your statements are based on your opinion and not empirical fact. You knocking PCs in favor of MACs only aggravates people and does not help with the question he has about his PC. If you want to help someone with a PC problem leave your bias out of it and help with the PC problem don't tell him to get a MAC.

Whether it is a joke or not you are still being elitist and your only retort to attack my dyslexic typing only goes to prove your own guilt. I have built machines with just about every OS there is and right now I'm sitting in front of 3 machines with a total of 5 OS's including MAC X. I am intimately familiar with the troubles all of them have and were someone to come to me asking what system they should buy given that users requirements and computer knowledge I might just recommend a MAC provided it fit the user. But I don't bring bias to a conversation when someone asks a specific question about a PC. It simply is not constructive and there is no need for it.

Last edited by KD7NAC_07FJ; 06-16-2007 at 06:05 PM.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:01 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by KD7NAC_07FJ
Your statements are based on your opinion and not empirical fact. You knocking PCs in favor of MACs only ...

But I don't bring bias to a conversation when someone asks a specific question about a PC. It simply is not constructive and there is no need for it.
This is a forum where people do give their opinions, while many are biased, mine (at least on this subject) are based on a lot of experience with several Olympus, Canon, and Nikon cameras on both Mac and PC computers! Yours apparently are too. A biased opinion would not be based on extensive experience and study, but rather experience with only one type of computer or camera. As for "elitist", what do you call all the Toyota owners on this site? We are all elitist...because we have all done the math. What is not welcome here is comments like telling people to "lay off". Simply state your opinion or possible solution based on your experience, as I did, without attacking someone personally and polluting this forum. Everything here is based on experiences, and is supposed to be friendly...which you are not!

As Midiwall stated this is not a Mac vs. PC issue and if you read my post, you will notice that I agreed with him. Later in the thread the poster stated "I hate Macs" (you notice I never said I hate PC's), and as for what I said about him "not liking computers", I was simply agreeing with what he said. It's all good!

That said, windows xp is very fickle, and that was my point (whether I stated it well or not)! I run it on two machines at my office, and they are the main ones we have issues with. I said nothing about "Macs only", but in this situation...they are generally more compatible. Sorry for attacking your spelling.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:17 AM
Contributing Member

back on topic: I would try a card reader. Also try plugging the camera into a mac, ahhh, another computer, (jk) If it works fine on another computer the camera is not the culprit. I would guess Windows is getting confused, or maybe motherboard or USB board issues. Do you have any other peripherals plugged into the same USB card/hub that the camera is plugged into? Are you using a USB hub, maybe that is going bad?

Also check your camera's settings, maybe they got changed somehow. There are usually two options for connectivity on digital cameras, PTP and mass storage, make sure it is set on mass storage.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:21 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by dibble9012
back on topic: I would try a card reader. Also try plugging the camera into a mac, ahhh, another computer, (jk) If it works fine on another computer the camera is not the culprit. I would guess Windows is getting confused, or maybe motherboard or USB board issues. Do you have any other peripherals plugged into the same USB card/hub that the camera is plugged into? Are you using a USB hub, maybe that is going bad?

Also check your camera's settings, maybe they got changed somehow. There are usually two options for connectivity on digital cameras, PTP and mass storage, make sure it is set on mass storage.
Thank you!

What I have basically said, but better!