Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

Who is using iTunes, and the new iPod?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 06:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Corey
Ken, you using Videora to convert the vids?
I tested it out, but it will not do the vob files from ripped DVDs, so I am using another app in a thread by me in here on converting vids to the iPod format.

Did you get the black or white iPod?
I hear the black one scratches real easily.
If I get one sometime, I will look into some custom caes linked from the iLounge site.
Yes, videora. I have not tried ripping a DVD yet but most IPOD users have videora to convert existing videos and use another free utility to rip DVDs. I can't remember the name of it off-hand but I will find out.

I got white. After owning a black truck I decided I couldn't handle the maintenance routine of a black IPOD. I bought some of that clear TFT protector stuff to stick on the screen so it should never get scratched. I need to do the same to my digital camera and everything else that has a TFT.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:51 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iTunes is a nice program. Nice and easy to use/navigate/burn. But I use Real Player to name my music collection files - it's got a nifty feature that will automatically re-name your mp3s to whatever format you choose (like Genre/Artist/Album/Track Number - Track title) and include the tags.

I've filled up my 20gig ipod, so i'm fancying a new 60gig one. Video doesn't mean much to me right now, I just like having all my music with me on the road.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:17 AM

Corey,
This might already have been said but in iTunes there is a choice for CDDX or something like that.
If you copy your CD's into iTunes it will only label the songs as 01,02, 03 etc. If you click that choice, it will find and correctly name all your songs and album.

I thought that was cool. save alot of typing
Old 12-06-2005, 12:12 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
FirstToy, it must be set right, as I have loaded 3 CDs and it burned them to the hard drive as mp3s, and they all are named correctly in iTunes.

Ken, in that other thread of mine I mention ripping DVDs with DVD Shrink, and it makes vob files to burn to discs or store on your hard drive.

However Videora does not handle vob files, but you can right click and rename the vob files to mpg and then it will recode them over to the mp4 format for the iPod video.

Gosh they have a lot of cool stuff out too for the iPod such as the remote control that works with the docking system and the av cables to run it to your TV set.

I gotta tell you too that when you do recode the files into the smaller 320x240 mp4 file, they still play full screen excellent.
That will work for full view back on your PC or TV set too.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:48 PM
Contributing Member

I love i tunes, so easy to use. I have a shuffle and I like it too. I am scraping together my nickels and dimes to get the big boy ipod soon. 120 songs on the shuffle is more than enough for a short drive/trail run/day to day stuff/put it in your pocket. I'll get the larger ipod to put im my briefcase/truck/long road trip type stuff.

Having two ipods one small (nano/shuffle) one big is a good solution for me. I am not an audiofile so I don't need all the editing/super duper fancy music software. I need the music to play on multiple platforms(car/home/office/on person) and be reliable, rubust, easy to use. itunes + ipod does the job for me. I have not used any other software and have no intention to. I have always had a soft spot for apple and I really think they have something going good with the music stuff.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:31 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

More research...

Lotta cool goodies out for this puppy.

Logitech speaker dock with remote.
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...ONTENTID=10785

A couple of cool cases, the 2nd one I like a little better, and is available in different colors and has the neck lanyard.
Fleshgirl not included.

http://www.allabouttheaccessories.com/
http://www.allabouttheaccessories.co...ROD&ProdID=499

http://www.ipodhacks.com/
which linked to here
http://www.theistore.com/icandy/icandyvideo.html

Comes with a new lanyard

Old 12-08-2005, 03:43 AM
Contributing Member

I hadn't seen those "Flesh Girl" units before. Where'd you find that..."Toys R Us?"
Old 12-08-2005, 04:35 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

I can not decide which of these two cases is the best.
The first one can clip to your pants/shorts, and also serves as a stand to view vids while placed on your desk.
The second one you can just wear around your neck.

I plan on using a future iPod to take with me during morning walks around work to get back in shape (been neglectful on that part) and not sure if the latter case hanging around the neck will flop around or not.
The second case also comes with a protective clear layer you apply to the back of the iPod to protect it even more.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:35 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Attack of the DRM

I used the iStore for the first time today.
It was very smooth getting a 13 song playlist.
I did a search for Blue Oyster Cult, and up came all of their albums.
Another choice was what is called an iMix that someone has put together, and it had 52 of the best BOC tunes.

I selected 13 of them and watched iTunes download them to my PC.
Now here is something I do not care for.
iTunes puts the song into a M4P file, not to be confused with an MP4 file which is the video format used for the video files for the new iPod.

You have to use iTunes or an iPod to listen to the M4P files, Windows Media Player will not play them.
Hello, rude wakening by the DRM folks.

Who here is upset that the DRM does not allow you to play your downloaded paid for songs on another type of handheld MP3 player, or even a software player on multiple PCs you own?

All is not lost though...
Old 12-11-2005, 03:10 PM

Corey,

Buried in iTunes is an option to convert files to MP3s. It also decides what format CDs are ripped in. Another reason why I'm against Apple.

nermal
Old 12-11-2005, 03:19 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Oh I know all about that.
But, you can not convert files you have bought from the iStore.
You can convert other files, but not the ones you have bought.
It even states this in many forums with Google, and on Apples site.

But, as I posted in the post above, all is not lost.
Now for part II, and it works
__________________________________________________ _____
All is not lost, Google found a converter called Tunebite.
It takes the M4P file and will convert it over to a WMA file or a MP3 file.
I tried both file types and they played back successfully in Windows Media Player.
It leaves all the artwork and tags intact too.

The only thing is the demo only lets you record up to 30 seconds unless you register it for under $18 US.

There is another way to get the purchased files into the MP3 format, and no it is not the convert to MP3 process that iTunes does, as it will not convert store bought tunes, only files you already have on your PC.
You can take the purchased tunes and then burn them to a disc with the burn option in iTunes, then rip them back into iTunes with it ripping feature which will then put them into a MP3 format which you can then use to play elsewhere, even on another brand of MP3 player besides the iPod.

I think this really sucks, the DRM group trying to control me where and what I listen to my tunes with that I have paid for.

Now if someone where to convert the tunes and then try to upload them to a file sharing service, then this is piracy.
I do not support that, but it is my right to be able to listen to my tunes I paid for on whatever appliance that I own.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:45 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
iTunes didn't recognize everything I had ripped using MediaPlayer. MediaPlayer did not recognize songs I bought on iTunes. What a pain in the ass. Absolutely no way to burn a CD with songs from both sources.

When I got a Nano, I deleted and re-ripped all the music using iTunes. I must say, it is really cool how it works with the iPod. Only thing I don't like is how you can't manage the playlist from the iPod. Well, I guess you can use the "on-the-go", but iTunes won't pull up my on-the-go playlist off the iPod. Anyone had that problem and figured out how to make it work? I've got a bunch of crap in there I need to clean out.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:13 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

tc, download that program in my post above and see how easy it is to convert the iTunes tunes so Media Player will reconize them.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:00 AM

Corey, check this out:

Logitech mm22 Portable Ipod Speakers.

Old 12-13-2005, 09:56 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Cool, I saw the more expensive ones last week in my Logitech newsletter I get.
Here are some more.
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...S/EN,crid=2411

I bet the $150 one sounds pretty good.
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...ONTENTID=10785
Old 12-13-2005, 08:30 PM
Contributing Member

I just got the 4GB black Nano and I love it! Never owned an iPod before but it beats lugging my cd player around with me to the gym...

One thing, when I ask it to add files to the library and the songs are in WMA it says it wants to convert them to AAC or something...I use Windows Media Player to manage all of my 45gb of music and I'm worried that if I convert it in iTunes that it won't be able to be played in Windows Media Player. Anybody know?

Thanks guys!

Good luck with the iPod Corey, for me, the Nano was the best bet as I don't really listen to it all the time, only when working out or if I'm studying on campus, all other times I have my notebook with me and can use that.

Thanks, sorry for hijacking!

Fink
Old 12-14-2005, 04:42 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4x4Fink
One thing, when I ask it to add files to the library and the songs are in WMA it says it wants to convert them to AAC or something...I use Windows Media Player to manage all of my 45gb of music and I'm worried that if I convert it in iTunes that it won't be able to be played in Windows Media Player. Anybody know?
Windows Media Player can't recognize AAC files. Apple won't license the format. REAL tried to license it a few years ago and Apple (Steve Jobs) said "no way." From what I have read though, AAC is a better format than MP3 and definitely better than WMA. It's also a much smaller format; so that 45 gb of music will shrink down when you import it into iTunes. Although I have never used WMP for music, the interface on iTunes is so good I can't imagine using anything else.

I strictly use AAC on my computer. I figure if I want it in another format, I can always export them. If there is ever a major format change, I figure someone will come out with a tranlator and make a billion bucks.

Regarding iPods, I think the Nano is the best for 4 wheeling...No hard drives to ruin from jarring and vibration.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:48 AM
Contributing Member

I'm liking all this information. I just bought a computer that has the ITunes program on it. Now my son wants an Ipod for his birthday and we've already burned about 20 of my CD's onto the computer using the software. Cool!

The store sure has a lot to be able to buy and download.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:22 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Shannon, another tip...
If you want the best quality from your CD transfers to the PC, tell iTunes to do it at 320 varible bit rate, not constant bit rate.

I read in the new Maximum PC mag the other day that the VBR is better than the constant bit rate.

I have only done about 3 to 4 CDs so far, but iTunes is simply to easy almost to get the tunes in your library and onto the PC.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:43 AM

Stupid question...most of the music I have was downloaded (for free) years ago prior to all the legal issues and most all of it is in MP3 format. I noticed that CDs that I have ripped with I-Tunes is displayed in Windows as M4A format and music I have purchased through I-Tunes is in M4P. I assume the latter is MPEG4. What is M4A? How can I tell whether my MP3s are being converted to AAC or if they're still in their original format?

Last edited by paddlenbike; 12-14-2005 at 08:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Who is using iTunes, and the new iPod?