Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

Office 2003 will not install

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 04:31 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Office 2003 will not install

Here is one that will stump the experts.
Built a brand new PC over the weekend.

Loaded XP Pro onto it and and did all the MS updates.
Then attempted to load Office 2003, and it starts to go for a minute then I get an error that it can not find a certain .cab file, and to make sure the CD is in the D drive.
It is of course.
I tell it to browse from the CD and no go.

I cancel the install then try again, and it only shows it uncompressing a few files, then a box pops up saying "fatal error."
Have to click OK and it all quits.

I formatted the PC again Sunday and did not do any updates right away.
As soon as I got into Windows I loaded up the Office CD and the exact same scenario took place.

Took the PC to a friends today who also has Office 2003 and the same thing happened over there.
We thought my DVD/CD drive may be ever so slightly bad, as that can have an effect on it.

After leaving his home I stopped off at the shop where I bought all the components from.
We hooked up a USB DVD/CD drive and the same thing happened.
We used the disc and installed it on one of their PCs just fine.

We ran Memory Test from the boot cycle and my memory is good, as well as the hard drive.

We did notice in the Registry that under the software section under Microsoft it says Office, Outlook, that is probably from the CD trying to install.
I do not know if I should delete those Reg entries or not, or if it will help.

Google has been of no help on this.
Any gurus ever heard of this one before?

I have my old PC that has Office on it so I can use all the apps, but it would be nice to be able to do my email and more from my new main PC.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm curious which .cab file?
Old 12-31-2007, 04:51 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

I should have wrote it down.
But I downloaded many of them last night from a guy's website that others have had some Office 2003 issues with.

It did not help.
Now it is funny this same CD installs Office on my old PC and also on a PC at the shop today.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:01 PM
Contributing Member

Time to give open office a shot Corey, can't beat the price. I've been using for about 3 years now, and serves me fine. I use the spreadsheet for my accounting and billing for my business.
The only thing you probably would miss is Front Page. Outlook can be replaced with thunderbird and Lightning. Lightning installs into thunderbird to add the calender portion. The latest version looks quite slick.

Can't help you with your office problem though, all I can say is freshly install windows, then first office and then the rest of your software.
Maybe one of the drivers is being cross with the office install. Creative drivers etc. seem to be full blown software package nowadays.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:11 PM
Contributing Member

Another thing to try is to first copy the whole cd to the harddrive and then install from the hd . That would eliminate a faulty disc or cd drive. I've had borderline discs which one drive would read and another wouldn't.

Happy New Year by the way.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:09 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

I have Open Office on a thumb drive.
Using it full time though is not an option really, as I do need Outlook.

I have thousands of saved emails, contacts, ect, the .pst file is quite huge.

I have done the trick already of copying the CD to the hard drive and run it, same thing.
Plus we have used two setup CDs.

I can live without it.
I will still have Outlook on the old PC, plus I have a new laptop from Dell that will be here tomorrow that I can put it on to do my email from.

It came Monday, but I was at the PC shop when it came, so I will have to get it tomorrow.

Going to try a few Registry tricks today, if that does not work, I will give up on it.

Already formatted it twice, no desire to do it again.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:23 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

He haaaaaw.
I called the 800 tech support number Microsoft, I got the US of A
However when he transfered me over to tech, I got India.

I had a hard time understanding the guy, but we got it done.

We went to a Microsoft site to give him remote access to my desktop, but the active x failed, so we went to a freeware site which worked.

I showed him how the CD would not install, and said I need a CD key.
I said not so, it is a Boeing CD for home use, and it installed perfectly and updated itself on my new Dell laptop today without a key.

I have come to the conclusion that the XP Pro CD I have has more stuff on it than my other XP CD for the old PC.
This must prevent the normal setup, I do not know.

He found a file with an msi extension that starts the setup and asks for a key.
He had to make me a new one, and it installed!

He had to do the same with Frontpage the HTML editor I use for webpage making, he had to get a fresh key for it too, and use the .msi file for Frontpage.

He even took the PC to Windows Update site and installed the Office updates, although I could have done that

Very nice guy, and he is a lifesaver.

Just transfered all of my mail from the old PC to the new one via USB thumb drive, and Outlook is humming away as normal.

I thought I was going to have to pay for this excellent service, but nope, it was free!

He still swears up and down though that I should not be able to install the program and not enter a CD key, but Boeing employee's who have this disc never have had too, and like mentioned, it installed on the Vista laptop just fine today.

Vista, that is another subject.
I like, but it will take some getting use too.

I did not put it on my new desktop/gaming PC, as XP is faster and better as a gaming platform still than Vista.