Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

Linksys wireless g print server

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 07:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Linksys wireless g print server

Anyone know how to get these to work right? Are they supposed to be recognized by windows XP as a wireless network? My boss at work got one, and we cant figure out how to configure it, I have the ip address of the unit, but explorer cant find that ip address. We have two wireless notebooks that are connected to the internet only right now, through a network hub. There is no existing network in the office. I connected the print server to the hub, which is then connected to both computers. i also tried connecting it directly to one of the computers, the computer just says, LAN cable unplugged. Any help would be great!
Old 06-21-2005, 07:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine works great, but I set it up so long ago that I don't remember what I did. I'm pretty sure that I did not hook up the Ethernet cable though. I "think" you need to set it up with a computer that is wired.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:44 PM
Contributing Member

i printed out the test page using the reset button, it shows me the ip address. Even directly connected to the computer with the ethernet cable, I cant connect to it with the ip address.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the B version of what you're looking at, and you have to set it up with the install CD that came with it. It's a bit sideways.. Do you have the CD? This is one network device that you CAN'T make happen without it.

You can get a hand up on it by doing a hard reset. There will be an inset button on the backside, pull the power, push the button in (with a pen) and then apply power. Hold the button for 10 seconds and it should do a hard reset. That'll get you back to a known starting point.

The reason that you may not be able to see it based on the IP address that it spit out is 'cause it's on a different "subnet". Do you know the IP address of the laptops? If the first three "octets" of the addresses don't match, then that's gonna be part of the problem. The setup CD will help out this issue... All of the devices on the subnet have to be on the same subnet (also known as "Class C").

Last edited by midiwall; 06-21-2005 at 08:43 PM.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:10 AM
Contributing Member

I have the CD, when I inserted the CD, I chose 'user setup' i think, all it installed were drivers as far as i know. I already did a hard reset. How can I find the ip address of the computers? They are on a t1 line if that matters. Couldn't I just go to "findmyipaddress' or whatever that website is called?
Old 06-22-2005, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by dibble9012
I have the CD, when I inserted the CD, I chose 'user setup' i think, all it installed were drivers as far as i know. I already did a hard reset. How can I find the ip address of the computers? They are on a t1 line if that matters. Couldn't I just go to "findmyipaddress' or whatever that website is called?
Go to start -> run, then type in "cmd" or "command" if you're running an older machine (God forbid). Once you see that prompt, type in ipconfig /all. A few lines down, you'll see the "IP Address" along with the "Subnet Mask". The first, of course, is that computer's IP address. The first 3 sets of 3 numbers is what Mark was talking about that must match up between the three computers.

I've never tried to set up a wireless print server before, but seems to me like this should work:

Assuming all the subnet masks are the same, navigate your way to Printers and Faxes through the control panel. This will be a lot easier if the printer you're trying to make wireless is already installed on the computers. If not, do that first. Once it's installed, right click on the printer icon and go to properties. From there click on the ports tab at the top of the dialog box. From there, click on "Add port", and choose "Standard TCP/IP port". From there it will run you through a wizard, which should be pretty self explanatory. This is where it's important to know the IP address of the wireless print server in case you didn't already. So once you know that, you just type it in, finish up the wizard, and you should be set.

Again, I've never fooled with a wireless print server, but I've set up numerous network printers and it just seems to me like they would be somewhat similar. I hope this works and doesn't cause you too many headaches in the process. Let me know if I can be of any more help.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:13 AM

Is this the box?

When you run the CD, the box has to be connected _by wire_ to the network.

Head here, and grab the "Quick Install" from the right side under "More Information", it's pretty clear on the process:
http://www.linksys.com/products/prod...id=37&prid=659

Or, do you have the USB version:

It too needs to be connected to the network by wire for the initial setup. The Quick Install is here:
http://www.linksys.com/products/prod...id=37&prid=584

Last edited by midiwall; 06-22-2005 at 12:47 PM.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:54 AM
Contributing Member

its the second one
Old 06-22-2005, 08:55 AM
Contributing Member

but theres only the usb cable slot type, not the kind you find on the other end of computer usb cables (square) so would I need a double slot ended cable?
Old 06-22-2005, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by dibble9012
but theres only the usb cable slot type, not the kind you find on the other end of computer usb cables (square) so would I need a double slot ended cable?
Whoops... sorry, a neuron fired sideways.

Forget the USB cable, the print server needs to be hooked up to the network through a regular Ethernet cable for setup.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:43 AM

I have the first one. It has been awesome.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:52 PM
Contributing Member

Ok, finally my boss got the computer ppl to do it!!! Yes, now I dont have to worry about it. I really want one of these for our house though, as it is set up now, my dads computer is the print server, so if thats off or not working right, none of the computers can print. I have a wireless network at home, properly protected so people cannot 'borrow' my internet access