Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

I Hate Wireless Routers

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 07:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I Hate Wireless Routers

So, they suck.

This damn thing keeps dropping my internet connection. Well, JUST the web, not anything else. If I have a DL going, it will keep going just fine, but the web won't work at all.

I've tried rebooting it in the correct order several times. I've contacted my ISP and they don't know what's going on. I'm this close to draging this thing behind my truck, then lighting it of fire, then piss on the ashes, followed by mailing the burn POS that has piss all over it back to netgear.

sorry had to vent. any ideas?
Old 08-24-2005, 07:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by oly884
So, they suck.

This damn thing keeps dropping my internet connection. Well, JUST the web, not anything else. If I have a DL going, it will keep going just fine, but the web won't work at all.

I've tried rebooting it in the correct order several times. I've contacted my ISP and they don't know what's going on. I'm this close to draging this thing behind my truck, then lighting it of fire, then piss on the ashes, followed by mailing the burn POS that has piss all over it back to netgear.

sorry had to vent. any ideas?
i have a linksys wireless router and it works great! I even play games on the internet and no lag or spikes. netgear is probably the cheapest of them all i would say. Linksys is quality, its made by cisco systems.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:16 AM
Contributing Member

i have a linksys and have the same problem as oly.
i miss being wired.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:17 AM
Banned

hmm..thats wierd. your dl continues but you get kicked off the internet? doesnt add up. If you lose connection you should lose the dl unless it saves where it last cut off. Mabye you could get a booster?
Old 08-24-2005, 07:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since it's being "picky", i'd say it's more likely a problem with your computer rather than the router. Do virus and spyware scans exhaustively, then we'll go from there.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:24 AM
Banned

is your signal at full strength? are you using a usb wireless reciever or one in the PCI slot?
Old 08-24-2005, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Localmotion
is your signal at full strength? are you using a usb wireless reciever or one in the PCI slot?
I'm wired to it, my two other roomies are wireless.

Chris, I've reset every thing on my comp. The only other thing I can do is reinstall windows. So, I really don't know what the problem is. The thing that gets me is that it's very intermittent. It'll go for a day or so, the do this every 3 mins.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:59 AM
Contributing Member

I recently replaced my linksys with a SMC. Night and day difference on the range connection. Linksys is overvalued junk imo.
The smc just works, the linksys had to be reset every so often or I had no connection at all.
But then again, SMC used to build the better arcnet network cards in the late eighties. They've been around for a while.
I guess when routers bugger up, there isn't a whole lot we can do except replace it.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:43 AM

Have you guys upped the firmware on your wireless AP/routers?
Old 08-24-2005, 10:03 AM
Contributing Member

First thing I usually do.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:22 AM
Contributing Member

I have a linksys and have the same problem as you guys, its really startin to tick me off...
Old 08-24-2005, 10:23 AM

I would upgrade the firmware too, as the next step.

If that doesn't work, try bypassing the router for a day or two and see what happens.

If the problems "disappear", look into another router. I've used D-Link stuff for years with zero problems. Kicker is, I got both my routers for $20 each, after rebates.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:49 AM

I just purchased a D-Link wireless AP and it rocks...
Old 08-24-2005, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by data
I just purchased a D-Link wireless AP and it rocks...
I've noticed that Linksys stuff works pretty good... when you're using it other Linksys stuff. Try mixing it up with anything else, chaos ensues. My D-Link routers have just plain worked.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:18 PM
Contributing Member

Never had any problems at all with the Airports other than a few capacitor problems on the early graphites. They seem to work very well with both Apple airport cards and PC notebook adapters. JMO
Old 09-07-2005, 07:51 PM

smc routers work worth crap, linksys are hit any miss, and dlinks are by far the most rocksolid of any router I've had.. and it only cost me $15. oh, and I wouldn't touch hawking tech with a 10' pole.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:59 PM

My Linksys stuff has been great. I migrated to Netgear for an integrated wireless/router, but had the problem with dropping connections. I got so frustrated that I went back to Linksys with a separate router and separate wireless access point. Easy to pinpoint a problem this way.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:43 AM

I had a Linksys wireless hub that worked great for years, then it got slower and slower, but never really died. I replaced it with a Netgear wireless hub which constantly dropped the connection - but did so across the board. Downloads, email, everything. Once I upgraded the firmware, I had no more problems and it works fine.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:48 AM
Contributing Member

Is this on laptop where the signal gets dropped? If so, you are very likely experiencing the power management problem. Intel has a TSB about it. There seems to be a bug in the way that Intel implemented power management in some chipsets and it mistakenly detects a lack activity and puts the wireless card to sleep, even though it is in use. 99% of the time, disabling the power management feature of the wireless card solves the problem.

I have been suffering with dropped wireless connections for the past couple of months, with exaclty the same symptoms you describe. Some days it was worse than others. I spent a week or so exploring possible solutions and finally stumbled upon some info about the power management problem. A quick fix and I haven't been dropped since
Old 09-08-2005, 04:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I have d-link also and have not had any problems since set up.

Quick Reply: I Hate Wireless Routers