Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

Help with website hosting

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 05:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with website hosting

i have purchased a domain name through ipowerweb (becuase they are haveing a special 2.95 a year) now that everything is set up i plan to host this on my own server which is running apache, My problem is that i am missing a large step i think. How do i specify my server ip address to route visitors to? i can change the name servers, but it does not seem to make a diffrence ( it is setup as ipowerweb name servers default so it always takes to me a "page under construction site") do i need to setup another service other than apache like bind or something thanks. ( know that apache is running correctly)
Old 01-15-2006, 07:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have a domain name, you should be able to point that name to the IP at which your server is running. You'll need a static IP, otherwise it may not work for long. So, yeah... that option should be on ipowerweb's end... not yours (pretty sure).
Old 01-15-2006, 11:04 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, that is what i have done before. And i do have a static IP but ipower does not seem to have many options other than changeing the name servers and billing address and what not.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:19 AM

it's definitely something on their end... contact their support and ask how it's done.
Old 01-17-2006, 05:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by linuxrunner
Yeah, that is what i have done before. And i do have a static IP but ipower does not seem to have many options other than changeing the name servers and billing address and what not.
Hmmm... I wonder if this is a bit of a bait & switch? I mean, I could register a domain name for you, park it in my DNS, but then not let you get at it.

This is definitely ipower's issue though...

From their ad they say:
- FREE Parked Page
- FREE Domain Forwarding
- Absolute DNS Control
So that would certainly seem to indicate you should be able to set the IP address.

Is the domain live yet? Can you get to the parked page? I wonder if they don't open up control until the DNS's update.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:28 AM
lee
Contributing Member

you probably just cant find it in their settings.. contact them, theyll guide you through it.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:09 AM
Contributing Member

HAHAHA ok here is what happened (so far) purchased page. 24 hours later i could see there parked page and a link to change settings, i look for a way to change my zone settings, but when i find it the action is only for users that purchase server space. so i call i power and the tech support tells me i need to change my name servers if i want to host the site my self ( i disagree, but he walks me though it ) i wait 24 hours more and now i get nothing, no parked page (because i changed my name servers to a server that was not a name server ). Call back and new guy tells me that the other tech must have misunderstood and says there is a redirect setting, that i should have changed and helps me get into the settings to change my name servers back and change my redirect settings. wait 24 hours... still no site... wait 48 hours still no site. Call i power and tell them what is happening. First they look at the sight and he says he can bring it up no problem. but tells me sometimes when name settings get changed back and fourth it takes a little longer for the new requests to go through. Then tells me that the redirect setting is not the one that i should have used, he says to change my zone settings, and I tell him I would have except that I can't. He checks and says it should have been available to me and puts in a request for function to be made available then get this, he says it should be available to 24 hours oh well at least i have had lots of time to work on the site.