Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

got another virus, reloaded 2000, need suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 10:45 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
got another virus, reloaded 2000, need suggestions

3rd time in about a year my desktop became crippled by a virus, I was forced to format and reload windows. What I want to know is what do you all run as far as protection against viruses? I run Norton and keep it VERY updated. I am talking service packs, IE upgrades, Microsoft downloads; along those lines.

I installed sp4 last night, upgraded IE to 6.1 and Norton is running as it should. What other steps can I take?

thanks
Old 03-01-2005, 11:43 AM
Contributing Member

Screw IE and get Firefox (www.mozilla.org), that will hopefully solve some of your virus problems. I run AVG antivirus and ZoneAlarm firewall as well and hit the update button on those things at least twice a day. I guess I'm paranoid like that !

edit: Try and upgrade to XP too if you can.

Last edited by humanoid; 03-01-2005 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:52 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by humanoid
edit: Try and upgrade to XP too if you can.
why's that boss? First thing I did to that pc when I got it was remove xp and install 2000. Just must more familiar with 2000. Is xp more secure?
Old 03-01-2005, 12:06 PM
Contributing Member

make sure you run a quality firewall such as zone alarm, and block all unused ports, and permanently block certain ones too. if you use ZA and want to have the list of ones i block, PM me. also, enable ZA's mailsafe, so that executable content is renamed so it can't run on you. it's a bit of a PITA to remember which extensions are supposed to be which, but it'll do the trick. beyond that, staying virus-free is not only about keeping your defs updated, but also being vigilant, so don't open attachments "just to see". if you suspect them, for instance, almost no one sends .scr attachments, make sure you scan before running. if you *do* do all these things, then at first glance i wonder if you had something else not a virus but perhaps a worm or something else that got in via your network. did you have a name of what hit you?
Old 03-01-2005, 12:07 PM
Contributing Member

Actually, I've heard from an IT guy that the most stable Windows is 2000.
I run XP though purely for the convenience of it. Take it however you wish it's my friend's opinion.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by payyourtoll
3rd time in about a year my desktop became crippled by a virus, I was forced to format and reload windows. What I want to know is what do you all run as far as protection against viruses? I run Norton and keep it VERY updated. I am talking service packs, IE upgrades, Microsoft downloads; along those lines.

I installed sp4 last night, upgraded IE to 6.1 and Norton is running as it should. What other steps can I take?

thanks

Switch to LINUX. No viruses!
Old 03-01-2005, 12:15 PM
Contributing Member

krasher, do the popular distros of linux (the various "hats", debian, etc.) have an easy way to mount an NTFS partition for read/write?
Old 03-01-2005, 12:17 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by krasher
Switch to LINUX. No viruses!
Greetings,

A few years ago I would agree with that. No more. If you really want virus free computing, try a MAINFRAME.....
Old 03-01-2005, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by MvCrash
Greetings,

A few years ago I would agree with that. No more. If you really want virus free computing, try a MAINFRAME.....

You had to use the MF word, didn't you.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by photoleif
krasher, do the popular distros of linux (the various "hats", debian, etc.) have an easy way to mount an NTFS partition for read/write?

Like this?

Mount
http://www.linuxforum.com/linux_tutorials/1/1.php

Write
http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/in...#3.2workaround

It still doesn't work too well.

Last edited by krasher; 03-01-2005 at 12:26 PM.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:34 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by photoleif
did you have a name of what hit you?
The file name that couldn't quarantined, cleaned, deleted, moved or changed was an illegible blurp of characters.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:58 PM
Contributing Member

egads, that's scary. i'll wait a couple more years and try again. i got nowhere with this about three years back, so my linux just sat idle. i admit i'm stupid with it, and <SIGH>win2k is quite stable for me, so i have little incentive to switch. but thanks!
Old 03-01-2005, 01:36 PM
Contributing Member

I've been running Win XP Home w/ SP2. Norton Antivirus. Linksys Firewall.

I never really cared too much for Zonealarm but I havent used it in years esp. with Win XP SP2 it has a built in firewall that seems to work pretty good when I tried it out.

What are you doing to get these viruses? A couple things I do are :

1. Scan every file I download with Norton
2. Do a full system scan twice a week
3. Update the virus definations twice a week if availible
4. Use yahoo mail for extra virus protection

Seems to work since I spend 10+ hours a day online and have never had a serious virus. Knock on wood....
Old 03-01-2005, 06:20 PM
Contributing Member

Go Mac.... (please don't hate me)
Old 03-01-2005, 06:28 PM

don't know why you guys are so leary about viruses.. i don't run anti-virus or a firewall on my machine (firewalls don't protect against viruses anyway)

i do however have a router, but not because its a firewall.. the main way to keep your system clean, know what your downloading, don't go to warez sites, and if you do, scan with an online scanner like housecall, either the file, or the whole computer. I scan at most once a month, and I get about a virus a year.. or whenever i visit a warez site.

the way you use the internet is the #1 way to prevent viruses and spyware, but if you can't prevent it, then check the last few posts in the 'pc tips' sticky, i gave alot of info on how to clean it out.

Originally Posted by humanoid
Try and upgrade to XP too if you can.
only reason to do that, is for installing some stuff, makes it a little easier, as for viruses, it runs on the same architecture as 2000, so it's just as vulnerable, if not more so because most people target XP machines when they write that malicious code. you want no viruses? switch to 95, no viruses left on the net that target it, lol.
Old 03-01-2005, 06:36 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by green91runner
don't know why you guys are so leary about viruses.. i don't run anti-virus or a firewall on my machine (firewalls don't protect against viruses anyway)

i do however have a router, but not because its a firewall.. the main way to keep your system clean, know what your downloading, don't go to warez sites, and if you do, scan with an online scanner like housecall, either the file, or the whole computer. I scan at most once a month, and I get about a virus a year.. or whenever i visit a warez site.

the way you use the internet is the #1 way to prevent viruses and spyware, but if you can't prevent it, then check the last few posts in the 'pc tips' sticky, i gave alot of info on how to clean it out.

only reason to do that, is for installing some stuff, makes it a little easier, as for viruses, it runs on the same architecture as 2000, so it's just as vulnerable, if not more so because most people target XP machines when they write that malicious code. you want no viruses? switch to 95, no viruses left on the net that target it, lol.

You can get trojans from viewing webpages, I'd post some links but people would click them heheh....Although anti-virus wont take care of all trojans it will catch some of them. I guess it depends on what youre doing. I'll run anti-virus on my moms computer from time to time and even though all she does is view recipes online and read email (not download anything, I taught her a little) I'll still find a few viruses on the machine....
Old 03-01-2005, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by CynicX
You can get trojans from viewing webpages, I'd post some links but people would click them heheh....Although anti-virus wont take care of all trojans it will catch some of them. I guess it depends on what youre doing. I'll run anti-virus on my moms computer from time to time and even though all she does is view recipes online and read email (not download anything, I taught her a little) I'll still find a few viruses on the machine....
yea, thats why i run the online scan once in a while.. only webpages ive really noticed to give trojans are that of warez and crack sites... but, i do know there are many other sites where you can contract the pesky trojans, just not really worth my resources to be running an antivirus
Old 03-02-2005, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by green91runner

I agree with all your statements, but in the windows environment, viruses happen to even most careful of users. If you've(figureatively) ever had a doosey and had to try to reactivley quarentine/remove it, you(again, figureatively) would be very proactive.
I am dismounting the
Old 03-18-2005, 09:01 AM

Digging this up... Linux NTFS support is not all that great. You can use the kernel modules listed above or compile the 2.6.x kernel with support, but it is read-only support at the moment. I don't know if they ever plan on releasing read/write support, but I think Microsoft would not like that very much.

I'd say sticking to Windows is best for what most people do with their computers. There is better hardware/software compatibility for sure and you don't necessarily have to worry that much about what's going on with the kernel. Linux has Windows beat in file systems (ext3 and reiserfs don't really fragment at all, which makes them ideal for drives with small files that are heavily accessed), Security (nobody wants to bother writing viruses for a minority OS), etc. Blah blah blah...

If you have XP, might as well use it. I don't know if there is really a huge difference in security as long as both are running all of the latest patches, but to me XP just feels a little better. I don't know if tha makes any sense or not. Run antivirus software regularly and use a NAT router/firewall or software firewall, as well as adware detectors. That is really the best way to do things. Firefox is a good bet because a lot of the viruses you can contract from Web pages are written specifically for IE.