Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

Can you speed up internet?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 04:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you speed up internet?

Alright I'm in college right now and I want to play some games such as Unreal Tournament... and all the computers here are of course on a network... well kids play Halo 2 over the network with each other ALL the time... and then even more are on XBOX Live... well this seems to be slowing the network down a lot... to much lag on the computer games to even play...

Is there ANYTHING I can do to speed it up just a little bit? I tried playing starcraft again just for fun and it lagged so bad I couldnt even play...

Thanks a lot
Ian
Old 11-14-2005, 04:30 PM

Play at 4 AM?
Old 11-14-2005, 04:36 PM

Did you try to reboot the internet?
Old 11-14-2005, 04:43 PM
Contributing Member

Can't do much if you are in this college situation. I would recommend a break in into their network maintenance room and just unplug all cables except yours.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ask Al Gore. He invented the internet.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:52 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
Play at 4 AM?
lol well I'm not that hardcore... dont really ever play... just pisses me off that when I want to just play a game I cant...
Old 11-14-2005, 04:54 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by marko3xl3
Can't do much if you are in this college situation. I would recommend a break in into their network maintenance room and just unplug all cables except yours.
Yeah someone told me that the people running the network here are really dumb... I guess everyone runs off just ONE computer... this one kid said if they broke it up into more computers it would be a lot faster... but NOPE!
Old 11-14-2005, 04:55 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Toyota_4Runner
Yeah someone told me that the people running the network here are really dumb... I guess everyone runs off just ONE computer... this one kid said if they broke it up into more computers it would be a lot faster... but NOPE!
They shouldn't be running it over a computer at all, they should have a bunch of routers and switches etc. etc. They are weird.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:56 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Cebby
Got his number?
Old 11-14-2005, 04:57 PM
Contributing Member

They shouldn't be running it over a computer at all, they should have a bunch of routers and switches etc. etc. They are weird.
Ya thats just what I heard... but its soooo slow that I think its true... and the campus really isnt that big... its just these HALO FREAKS...
Old 11-14-2005, 04:59 PM
Contributing Member

Cool

Originally Posted by Cebby
:pat:

Actually....Naw, you better not. But that Would Work.....
Old 11-14-2005, 05:00 PM
Contributing Member

Play at 4 AM?
Oh and this really wouldnt work actually there main hours are from about noon to 7 in the morning...

Originally Posted by init6
Did you try to reboot the internet?
Well I disconnected it and then did fix the connection a few times to refresh it...
Old 11-14-2005, 05:12 PM

If it's a college network, shouldn't its primary focus be on education, not gaming?

Old 11-14-2005, 05:26 PM
Contributing Member

If it's a college network, shouldn't its primary focus be on education, not gaming?

Party Pooper!
Old 11-14-2005, 05:40 PM
Contributing Member

Well it's the internet in all the dorm rooms so I guess you can use it for whatever you want...
Old 11-15-2005, 05:00 AM
WT

Tell the network admins to block the Halo ports that should speed things up or just cause a riot .
Also if maybe just that the network guys have the wrong type of hardware to support the needs of the dorm, may want to let them know your having problem surfing fro research during peek hours they may try and figure out whats slowing things down, but I doubt it. Worth a try anyhows
Old 11-15-2005, 05:49 AM

It sucks, but the network admins on the campus where I work don't give a crap about students. They'll complain all the time about their wireless not working, and the network admins will just be like "Can't help you, sorry". If I were you, I'd go straight to the top. Find out who the CIO (Chief Information Officer) of your campus is and see if you can schedule a meeting with him, and complain of problems surfing for research (not gaming!). You have a better chance of getting something done that way.

Last edited by Churnd; 11-15-2005 at 05:50 AM.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:10 AM
Banned

There are probably tons of people using that same connection, that is why its bogged down. We had the same problem at my school, and there was nothing we could do about it. The servers dated back to pre-historic times and half the tech guys had no idea what they were talking about. Simply unplugging the network cable wont do much. Id say stick it out for a few, then move off campus and pay 100000000 for cable or DSL. LOL
Old 11-16-2005, 01:50 PM

Toyota_4Runner, I feel for yah.

Here's some practical solutions.

Wireless ...

More and more campuses are running wireless networks. 802.11b is probably the most used wireless network type (speed 11Mbits). If you had a wireless bridge, and some time ... you could connect to a unsecured wirless access point (legally). If more power is need a recommend a pringels can (google "pringels can and wirless" for more info).

Additional wireless access could be found within the wifi domain. If wifi is available it will cost $$$ to get access.

On the wired front ....

Set your network interface card to 100Mbits full-duplex or 10Mbits full-duplex. Please don't set your NIC to auto speed and duplex. The network will probably flip flop between speed and duplex configuration. You can blame campus IT guys for that.

Don't do anything like "man in the middle attacks", spoofing IP addresses, sniffing network packets or adding a local router with RIP2 or OSPF routing protocols. These techniques are very very bad.

I recommend getting wireless and hoping there's a wireless access point available to use. Second recommendation is wifi (cost more).

Good luck.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:11 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by amusement
Toyota_4Runner, I feel for yah.

Here's some practical solutions.

Wireless ...

More and more campuses are running wireless networks. 802.11b is probably the most used wireless network type (speed 11Mbits). If you had a wireless bridge, and some time ... you could connect to a unsecured wirless access point (legally). If more power is need a recommend a pringels can (google "pringels can and wirless" for more info).

Additional wireless access could be found within the wifi domain. If wifi is available it will cost $$$ to get access.

On the wired front ....

Set your network interface card to 100Mbits full-duplex or 10Mbits full-duplex. Please don't set your NIC to auto speed and duplex. The network will probably flip flop between speed and duplex configuration. You can blame campus IT guys for that.

Don't do anything like "man in the middle attacks", spoofing IP addresses, sniffing network packets or adding a local router with RIP2 or OSPF routing protocols. These techniques are very very bad.

I recommend getting wireless and hoping there's a wireless access point available to use. Second recommendation is wifi (cost more).

Good luck.
I would love wireless but this campus doesnt support it lol... and when I change it to the 100Mbits full-duplex it disconnects and doesnt connect again... but the 10 works...

Thanks a lot

Quick Reply: Can you speed up internet?