Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

Anyone running vista?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 07:49 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Anyone running vista?

Hey is anyone running vista? I got a copy and would like to install, but, don't know if its worth the time and effort. I just want to see if anyone else likes it, and if it has any glitches right now?

Thanks.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't have Vista, but a few of my bosses at my work have gotten new laptops with Vista. They have had nothing but problems with it. They keep coming to me to try and fix it. Always having issues with internet connectivity, email problems, all the usual Windows flaws.

From what I keep seeing and hearing, a good majority of programs and applications that run on XP will NOT run on Vista, yet. I personally wouldn't bother untill it's a little less new. XP didn't get stable for a while.

Currently I don't even have a Windows machine anymore, I've become a 100% Mac convert, no regrets

I'm sure it didn't help much, but it's just what I hear.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:39 AM
Contributing Member

Hey thanks for the reply. I appreciate it. Thats annoying about XP programs not working with Vista. ;/

Thats how I feel about x64. A lot of the 32 bit XP programs dont work under 64-bit, which I am running right now. Finally got everything tweaked so it WILL work, but, dont feel like doing that anymore for at least a little while for Vista
Old 04-27-2007, 08:45 AM
Contributing Member

Alot of the guys at my work are running Vista, all having trouble with it.
I would hold off until its stable, and they get a few updates out there for it, for the bug fixes and runtime issues.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What kind of a machine would you be running it on? The only "advantage" to come from Vista is the fancy looking graphics much like OS X. But, to get there, you need a TON of horsepower and memory, both on the host CPU _and_ the graphics card.

My bottom line - Vista's the worst thing that MSFT has ever put out. Considering the time investment, it's a real train wreck.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:50 AM

I just find it really funny that they didn't make it 100% backwards compatible with XP software. Given that and the bugs and whatnot that come with Microsoft software...they're almost asking people just to switch to Mac now. You'll have to get new applications for either OS, and at least Mac is stable and secure.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:36 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vista sucks as of now..just like xp did when it came out. XP ended up not being a decent os after SP2.

give microsoft some time and they will get it working smoothly like XP...remeber this is this first time microsoft has released a completely new OS in a long time..its a big feat
Old 04-29-2007, 09:50 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah I assumed as much. I thought that Vista would have some bugs, but, after talking with some others, people hare just having a ton of compatibility issues.

I've got a fast computer, so not worried about that.

Looks like I'll hold off for a little while. I am a GUI slut, so I thought the new graphics would be pretty sweet to have, and to just see what the new OS is all about. hehe.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Pest
I just find it really funny that they didn't make it 100% backwards compatible with XP software.
Actually....

For a LONG while now MSFT has been itching to release new kernel base out that would basically break everything in existence.

"At One Time" (like 3 years ago) the release we now know as Vista was slated to be that kernel. It was only because of delays, feature cuts, and the product managers "winning" against the devs that kept Vista even marginally compatible. One of the biggest delays came from "thunking" (to borrow a term from the Win95 days) the Vista kernel to maintain ANY backwards compatibility.

...and that's where all the problems are coming from.

What's really sad is that, in the end, there's really nothing new under the hood. sigh.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dell changed policy recently and will once again offer XP Home/Pro or Vista.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:20 PM

I don't know why people would be having problems with Vista. I've been running it now for about 1.5 months and there have been only a few minor glitches with it. It has been much easier to find working drivers for Vista x64 then it was for XP x64.

I've encountered very few problems running anything for XP, Windows 95, or even DOS.
Old 06-16-2007, 12:32 AM

Just my .02...

found that not all software (including those labelled Vista compatible) actually work properly. Many people (myself included) have had problems getting Nero Ultra Enhanced installed and working properly. There are many threads in various help BBSs on this issue.

It forces you to upgrade Pocket PC software/hardware. My older iPAQ can no longer hotsync, and there are no upgrades available to upgrade to more recent PocketPC software. I'm SOL on this one on Vista... friends call it a "forced upgrade". Good thing my laptop is still XP, so I can hotsync with that one.

Not all hardware is compatible (drivers?). I tried to move hardware such as DVD burners from my old XP PC to the new Vista PC, but no luck. Video capture utilities to move videos from our digital camcorder to the hard drive are not compatible and can't even be installed. that pretty much stunk too.

It's nice in some respects, but for the most part, I'm really considering reformatting the HD and installing XP Pro.
Old 06-16-2007, 12:46 AM

ya vista isnt all bad but latey ive been leaning the linux route like Ubuntu cuz i dont game really at all so for all my multi media and internet needs it suits me. its ultra stable and best of all free. plus there is alot more people making stuff for it and to improve it cuz its freeware. best of all a new version every 6 month but im new to Ubuntu so thats just my first impression of it. maybe some one else has opinions on it.
Old 06-16-2007, 06:03 AM

Dont do it. Its another Windows ME, trust me thats not a good thing.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:39 AM

Look at the software that you use most have Vista compatibility upgrade out or not. If not, don't upgrade to Vista yet.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:26 AM

I had Vista for 2 weeks, I went on Costco.com bought the HP laptop I wanted and MAX out every option, the best of everything, I got te laptop and it was slower than my 6yr 512mb laptop, I was so disappointed, I returned it 2 weeks later - Never to buy vista again, till forced to.
Old 06-16-2007, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by crolison
Dont do it. Its another Windows ME, trust me thats not a good thing.
Don't do what... Vista or Ubuntu?

Originally Posted by runnerfreak88
ya vista isnt all bad but latey ive been leaning the linux route like Ubuntu cuz i dont game really at all so for all my multi media and internet needs it suits me. its ultra stable and best of all free. plus there is alot more people making stuff for it and to improve it cuz its freeware. best of all a new version every 6 month but im new to Ubuntu so thats just my first impression of it. maybe some one else has opinions on it.
Ubuntu's awesome. It's a great easy-to-install/runs-on-anything Linux distro. A couple of us run it at work as a dev platform and I also run it on a couple of machines here at home. Very nice, solid, fast, runs great in low memory situations... Basically everything that Windows could be if MSFT would just get off their high-horse.

...but then with options like Ubuntu, I don't much care what MSFT does.
Old 06-16-2007, 12:39 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

I have been running Vista for 3 months now and aside from having to down load some addition software I love it. It has a lot of feature that my XP didn't. Don't be scared......go for it.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:06 AM

ya the Ubuntu brother hood

Ubuntu power lol
Old 06-17-2007, 12:26 AM

im running vista.
no problems at all so far.
internet is always connected(wireless) and always fixes itself without any work from me.

Quick Reply: Anyone running vista?