GPS & Communication Discussions here pertain to the use and troubleshooting of GPS, CB radio, and amateur radio

Cobra XRS 9700

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 06:36 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cobra XRS 9700

Alright, time for me to get a radar detector for reasons that I'd rather not get into on here...lol.

I'm looking at the Cobra XRS 9700...seems to be a good deal, I know NOTHING about radar detectors...I've heard that Cobra is a good brand, and I really didn't want to spend more than like $150 but this seems like a good product. It's got a compass already on it which is a big plus for me that way I don't have to crowd my dash up even more with a seperate compass.

Basically I just need opinions on this model and if its worth the kinda cash that Circuit City wants for it...the reason I am going with Circuit City is because I know the guys up there and they will do a good job on the install.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Cobra...oductDetail.do

Let me know what you think or if there is a better place to get it!

Thanks guys!

Fink
Old 07-23-2005, 06:46 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Drive slower, you'll live longer young Skywalker!

With my rig, slower is just about the only option these days!

Good luck!

Old 07-23-2005, 06:48 AM
Contributing Member

Waskillywabbit, you are my only hope...

Fink
Old 07-23-2005, 06:50 AM
Contributing Member

Seriously though, I got pulled over the other day because I was doing 25 in a 20..who honestly drives 20 mph? The reason its so slow is because there is a park and a high school...I understand that, but 3 blocks down from the park and school?? It was rediculous, I didnt get a ticket...but still, I mean come on.

Fink
Old 07-23-2005, 07:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Dont get that radar dector!!

I install at CC, and one of my coinstallers there has one as well as the sales floor guy in car audio. Dustin's (coinstaller) speaker stopped working, and Kevin's (salesfloor) ceased working altogether!

If you want a radar dector of some worth investigate the beltronics 965. The 965 has every major feature that the 995 has but you dont have to pay 50 extra bux to know exactly what frequency of laser/ka/k band was hitting you, and well a volt meter is useless. The ONLY thing worth that extra 50 bux stepping from the 965 to the 995 is the KU band detection used in europe.

However do not go below that 965 or you loose pop radar detection - that is a BIGGIE here and most other towns are following suit and buying pop radar units.

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 07-23-2005 at 07:18 AM.
Old 07-23-2005, 07:27 AM

Received 638 Likes on 514 Posts
Don't forget also that a lot of departments are going LIDAR now, too. Unless your detector is lidar capable and mounted correctly, they'll nail ya. By the same token, I always figured that by teh time the detector goes off, they've got you already anyway, so why not just save teh money for the tickets you'll get for not wanting to slow down? I do 15 in school zones, not 1 MPH over, and I do it until I'm out. I've never been in sucha huge hurry that I need to blast thru, and maybe cream some little kid. Of course, I have kids myself, and wouldn't be such a hypocrit as to expect others to slow for my kids if I won't slow for thiers...
Old 07-23-2005, 11:56 AM

V1

http://www.valentine1.com/
Old 07-23-2005, 02:38 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 2ToyGuy
Don't forget also that a lot of departments are going LIDAR now, too. Unless your detector is lidar capable and mounted correctly, they'll nail ya. By the same token, I always figured that by teh time the detector goes off, they've got you already anyway, so why not just save teh money for the tickets you'll get for not wanting to slow down? I do 15 in school zones, not 1 MPH over, and I do it until I'm out. I've never been in sucha huge hurry that I need to blast thru, and maybe cream some little kid. Of course, I have kids myself, and wouldn't be such a hypocrit as to expect others to slow for my kids if I won't slow for thiers...
I go slow in school zones as well, the problem I had was the area where the park and school is maybe 4-5 blocks long. The distance that the 20mph speed zone is, I would say is about 6-7 football fields in length and its not posted anywhere...so anyway.

Sounds like Bel is the way to go...I will definitely look more into those.

Anybody have any comments about the Bel RD's?

Fink