GPS & Communication Discussions here pertain to the use and troubleshooting of GPS, CB radio, and amateur radio

cb radio trouble

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cb radio trouble

so it all starts with brian getting an old cb and antenna from a buddy of his. worked great bolted down to the dash and plugs into the cig. lighter. the mag. mount was bad so at 60mph it would fall off into the bed. so i went to radio shack got a 3 foot steel whip with a spring. worked great. then i rewire and remount it into the pocket under my sterio head unit. and all hell breaks loose. can receive fine but when i transmit all anyone hears is a bunch of squeeks and beeps with a very faint brian swearing that his cb is not working correctly. so i automaticly think its the old POS thing going out on me. so i go to radio shack buy the simple cb for 35 bucks. wire it up. still squeeks. brian thinks its the wiring. had to have wired this darn thing up like 3 or 4 times. through ignition, through battery. all sorts of combanations. still squeeky. tried a different antenna, stilllllll squeeky. it finally popped into my head that when i transmit it is interfearing with my radio and stuff, making my sub go nuts. so i put an RF choke along the power wire. stillllllllllllllll squeeeekkkyyyy no idea what to do left. so stoaked that the choke was going to do it. any ideas? brian is getting very angry. and you wont like him when he's angry...

any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:10 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is the Antenna whip touching any metal?
Old 04-11-2006, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by ^VooDoo^
Is the Antenna whip touching any metal?

this is his buddy....no it is on top of the roof and we have tried other antenna's and we still get the high pitch squeel
Old 04-12-2006, 09:31 PM

played with it again with xxxrider today on the taco run. heard the squeal through my subs again. going to put another RF choke on the ground line tommrow and see what happens.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:32 PM

forgot to add... this is really making brian angry..
Old 04-13-2006, 05:16 AM

Brian,
No offense dude. But, I never buy any radios or antenna's from Radio Shack. Don't get me wrong, it is A RADIO but, it sucks the big one!!! You're in Cali, right? Do a search engine for PACIFIC CB RADIO. When you find it ask for Annette. Explain to her that you are new to CB and you are looking for a "starter" radio. This could come it the form of a Cobra radio. It also depends on the amount of $ you want to spend.
As for antenna's you have a few options. If you want to resort to using a magmount, go with the Wilson 1000 or 5000. I personally use the 5000. That is one tough magmount! I took my truck up to 90 and it still stuck! Also, with the 5000, the farthest that I ever talked with it was South Africa! No joke! And thats all the way from here in Hawaii! (Australia is a breeze!)
If you want to be the "BIG MAN" you can also get a Linear Amplifier.(aka- Maul, Foot Warmer, box.) Although deemed ILLEGAL by the FCC, people still buy them and use them. If you like, I can give you some suggestions. Im just a CB radio freak that likes to help out newbies. Drop me a line here, and I will be glad to help you out. Holla back!
Mike
135 Communications
Aiea, Hawaii
"The Islands Most Talked About and,
The Crybabies Most Hated..."
Old 04-13-2006, 06:45 AM

yea man none taken. just needed something simple without spending too much. just need it for wheelin with buddies and they shouldnt be too far away so a simple radio shack cb should work for me. the only question is wiring it up. im pretty sure my problem is wiring. even an expensive cb would probably go crazy. once thats working, and i get into the situtation where im wheeling and i dont have enought range or i need more than what i have. i'll talk to you aobut getting something better. thanks for the info though man. it'll help me out someday.