GPS & Communication Discussions here pertain to the use and troubleshooting of GPS, CB radio, and amateur radio

cb radio questions???

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 04:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cb radio questions???

Ok, so I think I want to mount a CB in my 3rd gen. but I have a few questions as I am entirely new to this.

Do I need the firestick antenna that most of you add, and if so do I have to run wires to the back of the truck (provided I mount to the rear bumper).

I just want a decent CB and dont need anything special. Do any of you recommend any brand or model that will fit in the opening below my aftermarket deck?

I am looking at this model on ebay. I'm not quite ready to pull the trigger yet, just want to get my ducks in a row.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cobra-18-WX-ST-I...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks in advance!!
Old 10-24-2007, 07:38 AM

Hi, you don't need the firestick, there are a lot of different types of antenna on the market, personally I find the firesick too ridged (even with a base spring) I prefer a steel whip.

The radio looks good, and is a popular one for the 4 runner/surf as it fits neatly into the din space under the cd/tuner.

Check thruogh all the threads in this section, there is loads of info.
Good luck,

Robert
Old 10-24-2007, 07:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
and magnetic mounts are out of the question in terms of reliability, correct?
Old 10-24-2007, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
and magnetic mounts are out of the question in terms of reliability, correct?

Hehehe, I got a mag mount ( but I think you know that), but it's a temp solution until I get the bugs worked out, and find somewhere I'm happy for the antenna to sit permenantly.

There are a number of problems with a mag mount, that include; damage to paint work ( eventually) risk of it coming detatched when at highway speed or when wheelin' in the trees, and the fact that every time you remove and remount it there is a risk of the SWR changing.

There are many different antennae, and many different mounts for fitting them. I have seen firesticks on a magmount, nd they fall off real easy.

Last edited by plumb bob; 10-24-2007 at 08:24 AM.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:23 AM

a bit more than a risk, wouldnt ya say? hehee
Old 10-24-2007, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
a bit more than a risk, wouldnt ya say? hehee
I got the CB for this weekends wheelin' trip to Wales, which is about 300 miles away, and will be picking up a couple of other surfs on the way, and then meeting another 9 surfs at the first camp ground, on Friday night.

On saturday am we'll then travel in convoy to the trail.

As there are 12 vehicles, we'll break up into 3 or 4 groups, hence the need for the CB radio, and spend the day on the trail, and then camp somewhere near one of the rivers saturday night, and travel to another trail on sunday,and do some river crossings and climb the "roman steps" which is quite a tough rock climb for a standard surf.

Then sunday evening it'll be the 300 mile drive home.

I'll see how the magmount performs over the weekend,and let you know.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:33 AM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can buy the firestick mounts and antenna, I personally like them with the steel spring I got b/c its rigid but not to soft. I got my stuff from: http://www.walcottcb.com and I highly recommend them, fast shipping and good prices. I have a firestick II, a firestick molded mount and walcott cb's heavy duty spring made by JBC #404: http://www.walcottcb.com/jbc404-heav...ing-p-257.html
Old 10-24-2007, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by plumb bob
Hehehe, I got a mag mount ( but I think you know that), but it's a temp solution
i use a K40 magmount, since its only used when offroading, i like the portability.
havent had it knocked off, but it uses a metalwhip that is very flexible.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by surf4runner
i use a K40 magmount, since its only used when offroading, i like the portability.
havent had it knocked off, but it uses a metalwhip that is very flexible.

I always liked the K40, but they are very hard to find in the UK these days, and they always boasted the best mag mount on the market, plus they have the bayonette fit, so you can just push, twist and remove the whip.

How's the performance TX/RX?
Old 10-25-2007, 09:20 PM

besides the K-40s, one of the most popular magmounts with the real hardcore CB users are the Wilson magmounts. The Wilson 1000 and 5000 series antennas can take a LOT of abuse and handle a LOT of power, more than you'll be able to put through them without breaking the law or some serious upgrades to your electrical system (like dual or even triple deep cycle batteries, dual alts, etc...).

They stick like crazy, most of the 4-wheelers that go mudding here use them on their p/u trucks and 4Runners with no problem, including bashing them into tree limbs, etc... (the whips are very flexible, like the K-40).

They're readily available at many online shops, too.

just an alternative to the K-40 mag mount, if they're hard to find where you are.

firestiks are good, i've used those in the past. easy to tune, easy to mount, although they are somewhat limited in the height you can use with a magmount (i think they say no more then a 3 foot firestik on their mag mount base).

skipshooters are good too, if you like the wound fiberglass antennas, also tunable at the tip.

i have a 102" whip on our 4Runner's back bumper. i've tried the firestiks and the skipshooters, but i still keep going back to my trusty 102" whip - it bends more than the fiberglass antennas, so i don't have to worry about low branches and stuff.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:48 PM

Well, back from Wales this afternoon, trip report here;

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=38122

The cb worked ok, but I couldn't get the SWR down below 2.5/3 even after cutting 2" off the whip, so I guess there's a problem somewhere.

The 7" mag mount stayed put on the motorway and in the trees, so better than expected.

I'll have to look into the SWR problems more when I have some time, hopfully at the weekend.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:23 AM
Contributing Member

nothing wrong with mag mounts.

look at the Cobra 75X radio. Its a very small box that sits under my front seat or can be mounted anywhere, and all the controls are in the handset.
my Cobra A1000 antenna has never come off, even after some nasty drive- through incidents. very flexible steel whip and you have the option of removing it for security.