GPS & Communication Discussions here pertain to the use and troubleshooting of GPS, CB radio, and amateur radio

cb problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 04:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cb problems

after reading through some threads, it looks like ive made a mistake with my cb choices. i got a magnetic mount antenna from radioshack for 30 bucks, and my cb radio i picked up at some flea market. i wired it all up, and the radio has 40 channels, but all are fuzzy. i dont know hardly anything about cb radios; my friend just persuaded me to get one so we could talk when we go offroading. any suggestions/troubleshooting would be GREATLY appreciated. thanks.
Old 09-08-2004, 05:40 PM
Contributing Member

Check out Firestik's Library - lots of good info there

http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs.htm

On the top of my head I'd have to ask:
Have you tuned the antenna?
Could it just be the output of the CB speaker?
Did you get a quality coax?

There are some quality articles on Firestik's site. I'd strongly suggest anyone new to CBs to read up.
Old 09-08-2004, 05:47 PM
Contributing Member

yea i havent tuned the antenna. i guess thats my problem? whats the deal with tuning?
Old 09-08-2004, 05:53 PM
Contributing Member

Tuning will adjust your SWR and allow your radio to work at its max capacity by fine adjustments of lengthening or shortening your antenna. You want to check it out... it could end up being quite bad for the CB radio if the SWR reading is off.
Old 09-09-2004, 06:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You may also need to add more ground plane. (Plain ?)

Pick up an SWR meter and TUNE the antena to the CB, If the Antena is left un-tuned you CAN Fry your Radio.

DO a google search on CB Tuning for more answers. Most people think you can just run the wires for your CB hook everything up and VOILA everything works.
The answer to that is NO.
Old 09-15-2004, 06:53 PM

Fuzzy Radio

Northfacer - New to the forum here and noticed your post. I have worked on radio's for years and I suspect your radio needs alignment. It is out of frequency. IF stages for receive. Did you check your SWR's after installing. If you xmit to someone does it sound fuzzy on there end.
Old 09-15-2004, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jake94
I doubt you would FRY your CB with a high SWR unless it's a older 23ch rig. (thats right kids CB use to be only 23ch!!!) Since going to 40ch all radios are IC and vac. tubes are a thing of the past. High SWR in old vac tube rigs would over heat the tubes, in IC rigs, if a high SWR is detected the radio will cut the output power.

Now here is what you do:

1) Return the antenna to RadioShack and get your money back.

2) Sell the old CB to someone else or donate it to a museum (CB is obsolete !!)

3) check out this link:GMRS

4) check out ebay or a 'professional' radio shop for used equipment. Look for "type 90" radios (the same type used by police, fire and EMS)

5) have the radio programmed to the GMRS channels (or do it your self w/ a PC)

6) Enjoy all the same benifits that Ham radio operators have on the 70cm ham band.

Just my $.02, Jake.
That would do him a world of good to be on FM while his wheeling buddies are on AM!!
Old 09-15-2004, 07:14 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by AzStorm
That would do him a world of good to be on FM while his wheeling buddies are on AM!!
You got that right.
CBs are best for 4wheelin', as they transmit and receive far better than one of those little handhelds family radio jobbers.

In the mountains with hills and trees, only a well tuned CB will keep you in touch with your wheelin' partners when you are apart.

We use CBs exclusively while on runs, and have no problems staying in touch even when far apart.

I think those family radios are fine for camping and hiking and using at the mall, but not for wheelin'.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Corey
You got that right.
CBs are best for 4wheelin', as they transmit and receive far better than one of those little handhelds family radio jobbers.

In the mountains with hills and trees, only a well tuned CB will keep you in touch with your wheelin' partners when you are apart.

We use CBs exclusively while on runs, and have no problems staying in touch even when far apart.

I think those family radios are fine for camping and hiking and using at the mall, but not for wheelin'.
The GMRS only have a range of a mile or so.The signal is cleaner and clearer but if nobody else is using the band youve got a problem.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:20 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
If you are getting a "fuzzy" sound, does it vary with the engine running or not? If so, its likely ignition/electircal noise. Consider running a dedicated power and ground wire for the radio. I ran mine from the battery back to the cab (via a fuse block), twisting the wires as they ran to help keep electical noise out. Makes for a much cleaner, quieter signal. Usually tuning will do nothing for reception, its mainly and issue for transmission.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:40 AM
Contributing Member

Jake,

I took a look at HOR and Icom after reading your post, and stumbled across something I thought was really neat, especially for computer lovers.

http://www.icomamerica.com/products/...00/default.asp

Here's the software:

http://www.icomamerica.com/products/...000/bonito.asp