Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

Where to put an amp?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2003, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to put an amp?

Hi,

I´m thinking about getting either a 5 channel apline amp MRV-F450 or a mono channel alpine to drive 1 12¨. Where have you guys placed your amps? Both of my seats up front are taken--one has the heater fan, and the drivers seat is lowered to the floor. I would also rather not lose the box in the trunk--what does this leave me with? Under the dash maybe? Maybe under the rear seat? Ideas anybody?

Thanks
Old 11-09-2003, 07:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could you post a link of the amp? If it's the one I think it is, it is freakin' huge. That amp won't fit in any of the places you listed. You could try the back of the rear seats like some have done, or if you are more ambitious, maybe build a false floor in the cargo area? Did you mean you didn't want the amp in one of the existing storage compartments when you say "box in the trunk"?

Old 11-09-2003, 07:20 PM

I was thinking the compartment on the right side of the trunk--but I'm scared of it overheating--it gets hot in Mexico! My head unit puts out 27x4 RMS--and I´m powering 6.5 alpine(40 watts max rms), and 5.25 alpine(30 watts max rms) I´m not really sure if I need the extra 4 channels--what do you think? Don't worry I'm not wasting my money at crutchfield! My three ideas are:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-GLBqud5...p?i=500MRVF450

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...=0&cc=01&avf=N

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...=0&cc=01&avf=N

This is what I want to power:

http://www.alpine-usa.com/html/D2_n_1_n_n.html
Old 11-09-2003, 07:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The specs I read on your headunit say 60wx4. With the existing speakers you have, I think the head is a good match for them, if not overpowering them. If it was me, I'd go with the 3rd option of amp (Class D Mono) and do the sub. The amp is pretty small, you have more mounting options. Plus, when you are ready to upgrade your other speakers to something with more power handling, then you can get a 4 channel or even (2) 2 channel amps, again to give you flexibility for mounting.

Just my .02...
Old 11-09-2003, 09:14 PM

Thanks Cebby,

Any idea why the second amp(MRP-M350) is so cheap 200x1(it is too a class D)--selling at crutchfield for $200 while the Alpine MRD-M300 is 150x1 class D selling for $330--

By the way I like the color of your truck--I wanted to buy a blue one but all the 3rd gens look more purple to me than blue! Any grand ideas where to mount the amps?--I did a search and only found the rear compartment and under the two front seats(which I don´t have the space) Thanks again for your help
Old 11-09-2003, 09:38 PM

The M300 is digital.

Cebby, he was quoting the RMS specs on his deck, not the overinflated max.
Old 11-09-2003, 11:37 PM

I have my amp in the little cargo door in the back right now, works fine. I guess it depends on the amp, but lots of 'em have cooling fans built in now, so you should be fine. Also, if you get the class D, those stay fairly cool.
I'm a big fan of component amps instead of of all-in-one's. I have a phase audio tube amp powering the front diamond audio components, and a alpine class D mono powering the sub. sounds amazing.
Old 11-10-2003, 06:34 PM

Thanks for all of your idea´s. For now I´m going to go with the digital alpine--mono 150. If I can't fit it under the rear seat I guess it will go in the rear compartment--alpine doesn't use cooling fans.....
Old 11-10-2003, 06:49 PM

i put a 4-channel phoenix gold amp under the driver's seat... your seat is lowered, i guess that is out...

the PG amps have built-in temp.-sensitive cooling fans... it's a nice feature..

the right rear cargo has plenty of room to stick a big amp in there... i agree, cooling may be a problem..either get an amp with a fan or buy a cheap computer fan and wire it up to blow across the amp...

don't think there is much room under the rear seat...

the dash does not seem to have much room for a big amp...
Old 11-10-2003, 06:51 PM

I have my MTX amp mounted to the back of my box (2 12" w/1.75 cu.ft. each), which is behind my seat.

Just enought space for it and it does even get hot at all.

And no messy wires going everywhere.
Old 11-10-2003, 06:54 PM

are you buying from crutchfield? they are expensive!!
Old 11-10-2003, 08:47 PM
Contributing Member

Has anyone thought of mounting their amp on the ceiling in the cargo area? Just a thought... It would be out of the way.
Old 11-10-2003, 09:11 PM

Old 11-11-2003, 04:16 AM

vegasboyy's pic's not showing up...so i dunno what he posted, but re: mounting to the ceiling, don't. from everything i've read, amps are designed to push heat out a certain way with their fins, and how you mount them (even horizontally vs vertically) affects performance greatly. it has to do with dispersion of heat.

i saw a pic of a guy who built an entire custom header with 2 amps mounted upside down in his runner. it looked awesome, but i've heard it's quite bad for the amps. take it for what it's worth! just my .02
Old 11-11-2003, 06:42 AM
DuB

build an amprack

j/k. It takes too long
You might be able to fit a smaller amp under the right side rear seat. NW4Runner fit an entire NOS bottle under there :eek: Granted, he probably did some cutting and whatnot, but it gives you an idea of what can fit there if you really want it to.

I've actually seen a couple roof installs. Only a couple were done correctly with the amps still facing upwards (so all you could see were the bottom of the amps). The hardest part is to secure it up there well enough that it won't move in the event of an accident because they'd be positioned perfectly to take your head off if you were involved in a frontal collision :eek:
One guy siliconed 2x4s to his roof, but that involves making a custom headliner which is difficult. The amps were really secure though. He could put all his weight on the 2x4s and shake the entire pickup like that. If I remember correctly, there's a 4Runner on sounddomain.com that built a tube frame that hugged the side walls and roof, and the amps were mounted to that.
Also, you have the problem of running RCAs, speaker wire, and power wire up the side pillars to the amps. It's all possible, but more difficult than typical installs.

BTW, Crutchfield -> car audio :: Performance Products -> Toyota aftermarket parts. In other words, they're a ripoff, and should only be used for reading material while on the john

Last edited by DuB; 11-11-2003 at 06:45 AM.
Old 11-11-2003, 07:26 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Where to put an amp?

Originally posted by Gringo
Where have you guys placed your amps? Both of my seats up front are taken--one has the heater fan, and the drivers seat is lowered to the floor. I would also rather not lose the box in the trunk--what does this leave me with? Under the dash maybe? Maybe under the rear seat? Ideas anybody?

Thanks
1) You can move the factory RS3000 alarm box, if you have one? When you take the front seat out you can disconnect the brain box and move it up under the carpet. There is a nice sized cavity under the carpet. This will give you more space for the amp. You can still squeeze an amp in with the alarm box only if it's small. The passenger seat also has room under it, but not much if you have the rear heater.

2) You can take out the factory jack. You can easily fit a crossover and a small amp in its place. There is also a large cavity where an amp can be put in. You can feel it with you hand. Then, you can move the jack to the rear storage panel.

3) You can mount the amp in the rear storage panel.

4) If worse comes to worse, you can mount the amp on the back of your sub box.
Old 11-11-2003, 09:52 AM

Don't worry I'm not buying from crutchfield--I don't like to waste my money! About the phoenix gold amp--I understand they are better than alpine--which model would you use to run an alpine: 12" Compound Reflex Subwoofer Box 2ohm (4ohm + 4ohm) it can handle 300 watts RMS and has dual voice coils. Here is the link http://www.alpine-usa.com/html/D2_n_1_n_n.html I’m glad you guys have the experience to help me locate the amp—I’m thinking now the rear storage box, factory jack location, or the back of the sub box per your suggestions.
Old 11-11-2003, 09:56 AM

Go to http://forum.sounddomain.com/ . They have a great forum all about car audio.
Old 11-11-2003, 04:28 PM
DuB

I love Phoenix Gold
I'd probably go w/ the tantrum line or the older XS series. The Ti line is nice, but they're a bit pricey, and if you expand your system later on, the unregulated power supply might lag a little bit. Your electrical system can handle a small Ti amp right now though, and they have built in fans so that's a plus.
Old 11-12-2003, 01:10 AM

I put mine under the passenger seat but it is a good idea to keep it out in the open for cooling reasons,... if you do put in in an enclosed area try to keep if off the ground,... like spacer or something,... that will allow air to pass all around the amp for better cooling,...

Quick Reply: Where to put an amp?