Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

Subwoofers

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 01:09 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subwoofers

Sup guys Alright I have a set of 10" Rockfords in a box that are just sitting in my room... and then a set of 12" Xplodes in a box and sitting in my garage... the problem is that they are just to damn big and I don't need that much bass... so my question is what can I get that sounds good and isn't big but still puts out enough bass to sound good?

I also got 2 Sony Xplode 6x9's... ya I was broke ... but I think I may replace them with some 6x9 Infinity's...

Soo whats a good subwoofer I can get I dont want a 12"... maybe an 8" that sounds good or a 10"... but I dont want a normal big round subwoofer in those huge boxes...

I want to be like this in my car

Ian
Old 06-14-2005, 01:19 PM
Contributing Member

I guess this probably should have gone in the Audio topic place... oops... I forgot about it... you can move it if you'd like Mods...

Thanks Ian
Old 06-14-2005, 01:55 PM
Contributing Member

These look like they are preety nice by the specs.

http://www.soundsplinter.com/rli_ign...r_drivers.html

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f96/better-brands-thread-53909/ Post #40 by Ganoid.

Edit: I may get some of these one day. I have 2 15's and they are just waay too big.

Last edited by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK; 06-14-2005 at 01:58 PM.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:15 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah thats the problem with mine... I just had the two 12's behind the rear seats and then when I go to the lake I put the seats down and an air matress back there so I have to take the damn things out everytime and I finally just haven't put them back in yet...

Well I have been lookin through some posts and I think this looks like my best bet... its from David's 2002 4Runner... a custom box...

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/846592

Wonder how he got it to stay put there... anyone know for sure?

Thanks Ian
Old 06-14-2005, 02:41 PM
Contributing Member

I used a nylon tie to strap it to the cargo net holder. So far no move! Look slightly to the right of the fire extinguisher head...I put in an eye bolt, took a nylon strap and tied it to the cargo net hook.

I used the cargo box mod from our mods section here to use to get the measurements to build the box. The nice thing is the cargo cover also goes over to keep it out of sight.

That is a 12" woofer, the box is a bit small but packed with polyfil and it sounds great. If I had to do it over again I would do a 10". But I promise you it has very good bass.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:47 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Toyota_4Runner
Yeah thats the problem with mine... I just had the two 12's behind the rear seats and then when I go to the lake I put the seats down and an air matress back there so I have to take the damn things out everytime and I finally just haven't put them back in yet...
I want something small enough that I can put on the front seats with all my stuff for any trips in case I decide to sleep in the truck. I don't want anything I have to take the speaker itself out to access screws/bolts holding it in place.

Those subs sound like a good bet for me.
"We have designed this driver to perform optimally in enclosures as small as 0.2 cu ft net volume! "

My floor in the back has a lot of padding now after the sound deadening project, I would just like an air mattress so I can clear the wheel wells for more room with 2 people.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:13 PM
lee
Contributing Member

youre looking for an infinity basslink 10" powered sub. awesome sound and no need for an amp (powered)...

Old 06-15-2005, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK
I want something small enough that I can put on the front seats with all my stuff for any trips in case I decide to sleep in the truck. I don't want anything I have to take the speaker itself out to access screws/bolts holding it in place.

Those subs sound like a good bet for me.
"We have designed this driver to perform optimally in enclosures as small as 0.2 cu ft net volume! "

My floor in the back has a lot of padding now after the sound deadening project, I would just like an air mattress so I can clear the wheel wells for more room with 2 people.
Hey 4-RUNNIN' FREAK...I know a guy who told me of a certain maxim that he lives by concerning car audio installations ("outta sight-outta mind") & he suggested that I take a step out of the norm, after having replaced one too many windows, & simply stealth my sub as well.
"How?!?", I asked.
He replied by explaining that I could use the entire rear quarter panel area as my sub's enclosure by merely lining it & the inside of the quarter panel's trim panel with fiberfill (applied with a bit of spray on adhesive) & wrapping the frame webbing in that area with adhesive backed 1/4" foam (to prevent vibration).
Then, with a cavity of that size, I could use almost any size sub that I wanted (or perhaps even a combination of subs!!), sub-surfaced or flush mounted, depending on how "stealth" I wanted to be, & never have to worry about wasted cargo space or those pesky theives again just because I like some ooommph with my tunes.
Now that's some modding.
p.s. He said that I would, of course, lose the cargo pocket. But then again, look at how much more space that I would be retaining with this method of installation.

Last edited by 94x4; 06-15-2005 at 09:57 AM.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:46 AM
Contributing Member

I have a simple 10" MTX sub powered by a 250w Bazooka amp and with the carpeted box on the carpeted cargo mat it has yet to move and it sounds good for the $220 I spent on the whole setup at Circuit City. Mind you I'm not looking for a competition setup of course but it does pump out some nice bass enough to still annoy people.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:47 AM

Maybe I'm missing something, but what's wrong with 1 sub... even if it's a 12? I have a single 12 in my rig and it does fine. If your ear doesn't like a 12, then buy something smaller, but you've already got 12s available, so... You'd have to think about the wiring a bit so you could it around as necessary, but that wouldn't be a big deal with a little planning.

Take out one of your rockfords, build a new box for it, run it of a smallish but clean amp.

Last edited by jacksonpt; 06-15-2005 at 09:48 AM.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:52 AM
Contributing Member

My 10" sounds fine but I've heard that two subs helps with really bassy sound when it's being pumped up since one cannot handle it all the time,I'm sure two subs is a little clearer.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:41 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by lee
youre looking for an infinity basslink 10" powered sub. awesome sound and no need for an amp (powered)...

Well these things look like my best bet... and I was lookin you can get some used ones for pretty cheap that look brand new...

But what other powered subs like this are there? Anyone have any others? How are the bazookas? Smaller the better.. but I still want a GOOOD sound...

Ian
Old 06-16-2005, 12:01 AM
Contributing Member

Anyone know anything about these Kenwood Powered Subs?

They would be pretty nice to just put under the passenger seat...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

I don't need anything with real loud bass... I just want it to sound nice and clean...

Ian
Old 06-16-2005, 03:16 AM

I thought you said that you wanted a "...GOOD sound..." ???
You won't get that with either of those!!!
Old 06-16-2005, 05:13 AM
lee
Contributing Member

youll get GOOD sound out of the basslink. dont try to argue with me on that if you havent heard it, particularly in my truck

the bazooka tube subs are said to be very weak... i have no personal experience though. all i can tell you is i love my basslink.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:36 AM

If you already have a 12, why not just build a sealed enclosure for it? I'm sure the specs wouldn't require that it be in a HUGE box.

As far as the bazooka subs go, they work OK if you cornor load them. They wouldn't be nearly as loud as the 12 you have on a good amp.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:20 AM
Contributing Member

My sealed box and a 12" running off of a Rockford Fosgate P2002 sounds awesome. It literally shakes the mirrors. More than enough bass. Use what you have and do like I did. For less than $175 for both also. Best bang for the buck it was for me.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:23 AM

I'll second "NizAnzMonk's" suggestion of building your own enclosure, they're not terribly hard to construct...some 3/4" MDF or HDF, 1-1/2" course thread drywall screws, some glue, some silicone caulking, a design plan & perhaps a little paint or color-matched carpeting, then just you & your time & you've got a enclosure!
For suggestions on enclosure design &/or volume requirements, I'd suggest going to "www.polkaudio.com", after that , you just contact your sub's manufacturer to find out what is required (cubic feet, ported or sealed, etc.) for that particular brand & take it from there.

Last edited by 94x4; 06-16-2005 at 10:28 AM.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:22 PM

A work in progress

I have an 87 and just this instant I am putting in 1 12" JL W0. I just finished up making my box and installing it in the rear compartment. Its a work in progress this instant cause I just ran up from the garage but you can check it out and decide if you like it, it takes up no space. It goes no more than an inch past the rollbar.

I am either carpeting it with the grey carpet i have, a maroon carpet or painting it maroon. We'll see but check it out.

Now The pix are on page 4 of my Cardomain Site

Last edited by AKennedy87; 06-16-2005 at 09:17 PM.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:32 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by AKennedy87
I have an 87 and just this instant I am putting in 1 12" JL W0. I just finished up making my box and installing it in the rear compartment. Its a work in progress this instant cause I just ran up from the garage but you can check it out and decide if you like it, it takes up no space. It goes no more than an inch past the rollbar.

I am either carpeting it with the grey carpet i have, a maroon carpet or painting it maroon. We'll see but check it out.
Alright cool I'll have to take a look... have you put some pictures up on your cardomain site yet or anywhere?

But about this one:

Its the Kenwood KSC-SW1 and goes for around $299 on Crutchfield I read all the reviews and almost all were 5/5... but no one here has heard of these?

Ian

Quick Reply: Subwoofers