Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

Subwoofer in front kick panel ? !

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subwoofer in front kick panel ? !

Ok, I've been trying to find a good place for subs but you have to be really creative with a 4runner.
I know there are enclosures for 6.5" compnents for this area, why not take this one step further and create enclosures for 8" subs?
Rockford Fosgate makes 6.5" subs also, but hard to find.
I think I might try it.
Anyone ever seen this done?
Thanks,
Frank
Old 08-27-2004, 02:11 PM

This has nothing to do with the topic, but I saw your stereo setup in your sig and I'm planning on getting the same speakers in my 994runner: CDT-61a CDT-5X

I was just wondering how it sounds.
Old 08-27-2004, 02:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had Rockford 8's in the doors of my old school competition Celica GTS (along with 2 4's and 1 tweet per door).

I would think the kicks would be tough to get 8's into and still have foot room left. If you are using them for true low frequency, they don't really NEED to be up front.
Old 08-27-2004, 04:49 PM

You can do subs in the kicks, but most people use that area for their mids, just because that is a real good place to put mids for imaging. It does make sense though, especially in the runner. Since most of us aren't competing anyhow, I would grab a couple of RFs, or JL 6w0s and put them in a sealed kick. I bet you can find .15ft there, which is what the jls need sealed. I even have a set of old qforms that I never got around to using. Sealing the back off and adding a layer to the plastic would be super easy. It might not be enough for the big bass lovers, but it would add a ton of punch. Put some good components in the doors, and you will be set. You could do all of that in a weekend!
If you were a little more eager, you could do those kicks, and completely redo your door panels. Maybe a nice pair of 5.25s and a tweeter.
Then you could do a sealed 10 in the rear cubby and call it the day.
Wes
Old 08-27-2004, 05:12 PM

False floor under the floormats (floormats perforated/acoustically transparent). Fibreglassed enclosure on the other side of the floorboards. Shallow Dynaudio 8's with perforated grills on top of them.

or,

If you hog up the kickpanels with subs, you could put some 6.5 Midbass in the doors (do em up right) and then put in some horn loaded compression drivers (waveguides) under the dash.

http://www.usdaudio.com/products/

Last edited by COYOTA $x$; 08-27-2004 at 05:15 PM.
Old 08-27-2004, 05:14 PM

or create a sub box that hangs (acts like a false ceiling) from the roof in the back, speakers firing down.
Old 08-27-2004, 05:14 PM

or under the seats.....
Old 08-30-2004, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by LBC994runner
This has nothing to do with the topic, but I saw your stereo setup in your sig and I'm planning on getting the same speakers in my 994runner: CDT-61a CDT-5X

I was just wondering how it sounds.
Well, they sound pretty good but I am a little disappointed with midbass.
I am not an installer or really know a huge amount about how to properly set up a really nice car stereo, so I thought I would start with these and see how I liked it and go from there.
They are good and loud if you turn off all EQ.
At lower volumes they are prety good but it seems that when you just want it cranked up with some good bass that they sound great until some midbass kicks in and then it sounds like hell.
One problem is trying to figure out the damn EQ on the Alpine. I took the car to Good Guys and a Kenwood rep was nice enough to sense my frustration and show me how to adjust my EQ.
So I'm getting better sound out of it but I sure DO miss having an old fashioned EQ!!!!!
You allmost have to take a course at the JC just to comprehend how to adjust the EQ and ... oh yeah... drive.
But I digress.
Wes has an intersting idea about the Mis-bass, by putting those speakers in the kick, my only problem would be how would I do the crossovers??
I'm sure this has been done before so it would be a matter of getting the info I suppose.
Then I could put a 10" sub somewhere in the back and see how that sounds, and if it still sounds like crap then I give up and will take it to an installer so he can tell me what I'm doing wrong.
What happened to the good 'ol days when you needed a couple 6X9's and a good amp and an EQ and your ears would bleed?
I think if I didn't have the CDT's I would use Pioneers or Alpines, Just because Ive used these speakers before and they sounded great.
Thanks for the suggestions and hopefully I will have a killer sounding stereo soon.
Frank
Old 08-30-2004, 03:44 PM

FRANK,
what are CDTs crossed over at now ? low end should be around 63-80 hz if youre cranking on them..... Right ?

You can put passive crossovers "anywhere" dry and safe, you just gotta run the wires the distance to the speakers.

What happened to the good 'ol days when you needed a couple 6X9's and a good amp and an EQ and your ears would bleed?
Those days left before Quadrophonic 8 tracks went out of style, Im pretty sure......
Old 08-30-2004, 04:17 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Racerx11
Frank
I hear ya.
My first car was a '68 Chevelle 327, 4 speed.

All I had in it was a Pioneer Super Tuner 8 track, a Pioneer amp with an on/off switch on the side of it, and two Pioneer two way or tri way 6x9s on the back shelf.

Plenty of bass and volume.
I'd park my rig down at Alki Beach in West Seattle with the trunk open and serenade the strip for about a whole block.

No sub woofers needed back then.
It did sound good too.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Racerx11
Ok, I've been trying to find a good place for subs but you have to be really creative with a 4runner.
I know there are enclosures for 6.5" compnents for this area, why not take this one step further and create enclosures for 8" subs?
Rockford Fosgate makes 6.5" subs also, but hard to find.
I think I might try it.
Anyone ever seen this done?
Thanks,
Frank
pull out some old issues of CAR AUDIO AND ELECTRONICS from the early to mid 90s...

wildest i've seen are a 12" subs in the doors.

some guy did hack up his BMW 5 or 7 series by taking a set of B&W speakers for the home. the mid and tweets rose out from the corners of the dash. the subs themselves were buried in at the corners of the footwells.

this was a wild install and from the reviews i heard, they were fantastic sounding as well.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by COYOTA $x$
FRANK,
what are CDTs crossed over at now ? low end should be around 63-80 hz if youre cranking on them..... Right ?

F: Not crossed over at all, but I have a high pass crossover on my amp that adjusts from 15-400hz, but this is supposed to only be used if you are running a sub I thought.

You can put passive crossovers "anywhere" dry and safe, you just gotta run the wires the distance to the speakers.

F: Gotcha, I think they would be getting their own channel on the amp so I guess there is a crossover that would tell these speakers to only use a certain freq range.

Those days left before Quadrophonic 8 tracks went out of style, Im pretty sure......
˟˟˟˟ man I'm not that old, I mean early 90's.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:23 PM

I dunno man.... Early 90's everyone was doing subwoofers ! even in middle BFE America ! Walls, Cubes, walkthrough beds.... full of 15's

your EQ/x over on the Alpine will allow you take out the low-low freqs that are likely making them bum-out on you when you crank them.

Dont use the amps xover for these speakers unless it has both high and low pass choices.

even without subs, you ought to consider hitting the Xover on those mids when you crank it. They effectively rolloff around 50hz anyway. Try it. 63-80 is good for 12db/octave filtering

Last edited by COYOTA $x$; 08-30-2004 at 08:28 PM.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:58 PM

I dunno man.... Early 90's everyone was doing subwoofers ! even in middle BFE America ! Walls, Cubes, walkthrough beds.... full of 15's

your EQ/x over on the Alpine will allow you take out the low-low freqs that are likely making them bum-out on you when you crank them.

Dont use the amps xover for these speakers unless it has both high and low pass choices.

even without subs, you ought to consider hitting the Xover on those mids when you crank it. They effectively rolloff around 50hz anyway. Try it. 63-80 is good for 12db/octave filtering
Thanks for the response!
Yes it does have low and high pass choices.
Can you please explain "12db/octave filtering"?
I understand what an octave is and I know what a db (decibel) is, but I'm not sure what this means in laymans terms.
I have done a little research today and might get a 6 1/2" midbass and mount it in the door and move the CDT to the kick area. 10" sub in the rear somewhere, prob in the area where the hatch is on the passenger side.
I will need a 4-way amp for the 6.5's and another mono amp for the sub.
Also thinking about a Kenwood 11 band eq. ...for us old-school dudes :-)
Thanks for the help!!
Frank
Old 08-30-2004, 09:06 PM

12db/octave filtering

Rate of crossover. Refers to how "steep" the curve is.

Typically you have 6, 12, 18 and 24 slopes as common rates. higher the number the steeper the slope. Steeper slope = increased filtering.

If you cross a sub over at 80hz (for instance) its still getting 120hz information, just a lot less of a rate. Cross over points are not finite, just where the sound starts to gradually drop off at a lower and lower level in the form of a curve.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:13 PM

12db/octave filtering

Rate of crossover. Refers to how "steep" the curve is.

Typically you have 6, 12, 18 and 24 slopes as common rates. higher the number the steeper the slope. Steeper slope = increased filtering.

If you cross a sub over at 80hz (for instance) its still getting 120hz information, just a lot less of a rate. Cross over points are not finite, just where the sound starts to gradually drop off at a lower and lower level in the form of a curve.
Dude!!!!
I totally understood that!

All this is starting to make more and more sense, guess that's what I get for ignoring car audio for 20 years.
Thanks,
Frank
Old 08-30-2004, 09:22 PM

cool

there is a TON of info on almost any car audio subject, if you want to spend some time spinning yourself up on anything that doesnt make sense, hit yahoo.com and do a basic search, try a few different phrasings, you will be amazed at whats out there, most with pictures that can really help out as well.

Getting closer and closer to not needing "books" all the time.
Old 09-01-2004, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by your EQ/x over [b
on the Alpine[/b] will allow you take out the low-low freqs that are likely making them bum-out on you when you crank them.

Ok, finally figured out how to do this on my lunch break.
WHAT a differnce!!!!
The reason it was sounding like crap was because the low x-over was factory set at 100 with the slope set at 0, or I think that translates to 6db.
I set it to 63 and immediatly it sounded 1000% better, and I've been playing with that adjustment and now it's sounding like it should.
Thanks everyone for the input :-)
Frank