Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

Speaker selection advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 10:14 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speaker selection advice needed

I am upgradeing my truck stereo and I'm looking for some feedback/comments on my speaker selection.

Currently the truck has a pair of Pioneer 6" in back and some off-brand 4" in the stock location driven by a Sony tape deck HU with no amp.

I will be installing either a Kenwood or Alpine or equivilant HU. However I am looking for speaker advice so here goes.
I would like to install an all Boston Accoustics system but they are too expensive just now. JL Audio would be a second choice but also a bit pricey.
I'm thinking of going with the following JBLs
P452s in the stock location
P650Cs in a custom door mount with the tweets either on the dash or A-Pillar to lift the sound stage.
P650Cs in the rear with the tweets mounted about shoulder high in the C-Pillar.
I like this set up because the speakers specs show well matched freq. coverage and power handling.
A sub would be added if necessary.
Amps I need some suggestions on, pls. remeber size is an issue.
I want a very stealthy install with max. sound quality.
My music choices are usually Jazz, 50-80s rock, new age, classical and so forth.
Sorry for the length of post.
Thanks Aviator

Last edited by aviator; 08-15-2007 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check e-bay theres some good deals on Boston Accoustics yesterday not sure there the ones you are talking about. Also I run Phoenix gold Octain R 5.25 and 6.25 and they are crisp and clean and run around 35-50 bucks a pair with crossovers.
Sound is so good but you have to put a quility amp behind whatever you choose because without a good amp even the best speakers still sound like dodo.
Tweeters in the A piller will make you very happy thats where I placed mine and it gives a great full sound the mids also in the lower door panel with pods I found on e-bay I got the 5.25 and 6.25 for 50 both sets.
Cutting the door panels to slide them in from the back is the scary part but you will need to do it like that for a clean look and clearance for the window to roll down all the way.

Last edited by olharleyman; 08-15-2007 at 11:30 AM.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:28 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the input harleyman.
I'm not looking to cut the door panels I'm going to move the map pocket back and put an MDF box type thing at the front corner to match the depth of the pocket so I won't have to worry to much about interfereing with the window at all.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:06 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you like the sound of Boston's and JL's you might want to actually listen to the JBLs before buying. As a company JBLs tend to be bright in the highs and peaky especially in the upper mids, very efficient (often 91db) but less accurate than the Bostons (often 89db). With a few exceptions I actually still think that Pioneer/Premier on average makes the best mid priced coax's for the money. As a general rule they tend to have warm mids and good balance due to the composite plastic cones instead of the paper coated mid and titanium hard dusted tweets that JBL tends to favor. I love good audio and if I had money to blow I'd get some Focal 5.25's Morel 1" soft domes and JL subs but on the curve of diminishing returns I'd still check out other speaks first. You might also want to at least ask if a local shop carries a little known brand called Majestic. They are not expensive but for the same cost normally sound better than the Pioneers for the type of music you favor. They're just hard to find. Best thing to do if you have the time is to buy several sets from a retailer, try them all out, and return the ones you don't favor. If there's one thing I've learned from R&D in speaker design it's that it's hit or miss model to model even in the same brand.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:46 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the input Glen. Lots of good info... more speaks to research now...