Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

rear speaker problems with new headunit

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 12:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by venturanova1
yeap that was the problem the antena has to be on the whole time for amp to be powered on, got it fixed and now it works great and i could not be happier. Personally aiwa seems to have made a descent product I am very happy with the headunit in the end. Thanks for your help everyone.
hey venturanova1, i'm sufferin from the same problem. how did you get it fixed so that the antenna is up all the time?
Old 09-16-2004, 10:35 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by venturanova1
yes there is, im not sure were its located though I jsut know that it is hooked up to the rear speakers.
Each side panel rear speaker has an individual amp mounted on the little plastic box the speaker is enclosed in.
Old 09-17-2004, 12:15 PM

these older toyotas seem to have real funky audio setups...my landcruiser had speakers that were less than an inch deep...apparently those 92 runners have diff. issues also..
Old 09-23-2004, 11:38 AM

This may be old news, but anyway here it is.
From www.installdr.com

If Your Toyota 4-Runner Has An Amplifier Inside The Vehicle:

A Note About “Integrating” The New Replacement Radio Into The Toyota Amplifier:
(even if you dont know if your vehicle has an amplifer, the wiring is exactly the same)

Pins ‘H’ and ‘I’ in the wire harness connector shown above typically control the vehicles power antenna. For vehicles with a Toyota amplifier in the vehicle, these 2 wires will also control the turning on/off of the amplifier when the radio turns on/off.

However, there is a certain problem with the design of certain aftermarket radios. Most new radio manufacturers design their radios with a single “remote on” wire (blue or blue with a white stripe) also referred to as a power antenna wire. This wire is designed as a multi function wire that can be used to turn on/off either a power antenna or turn on/off an amplifier in the vehicle. BUT, some new radios have MULTIPLE “remote on” wires. These multiple remote on wires are dedicated specifically to a particular function: one wire is for a power antenna only, whereas a second wire may be used to turn on/off an amplifier only. These wires will be individually labeled noting what each wires function is.

Why is this important? If you are installing a new radio with multiple “remote on” wires you will need to choose the correct wire to connect to the power antenna wires (Pins ‘H’ and ‘I’) in the wire harness shown above.

If your new radio has multiple “remote on” wires and you connect the “power antenna only” remote on wire to Pins ‘H’ and ‘I’ the Toyota amplifier in the vehicle will turn on ONLY when the AM/FM radio is turned on (the radio will only turn on/off the power antenna through the “power antenna only” remote on wire when the AM/FM radio is turned on.) BUT, if you connect the new radios “amplifier only” remote on wire to Pins ‘H’ and ‘I’ the Toyota amplifier will operate all the time: radio, cassette, CD, etc.
This “amplifier only” remote on wire operates during the entire time the new radio is in operation. The “power antenna only” remote on wire only operates while the AM/FM radio is turned on.

Last edited by Astralplane; 10-01-2004 at 06:12 AM.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:34 AM

Angry

Hey Guys...

I recently installed an AIWA head unit as well, (AIWA is made by SONY and uses all the same components...interesting!)

Anyways! Mine is wired so that the antenna stays up no matter what source the head unit is playing from (radio, cd, aux) and my problem is that I have nothing coming out of the Right Rear Speakers. This is driving me nuts. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance, Great Site!

Sam.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:35 PM

Welcome, First I would put your truck info in your post or better yet your signature.
Does your rig have the factory front amp and rear amped speakers?
Does your antenna goes up when the stereo's on and down when you turn it off?
How easy would it be to switch left and right speaker wires, that narrow it down alot?
1. Always check and recheck your work, wires should be color coded correctly.
2. Are you using a wiring harness, if so you will see a blue loop wire connecting antenna & amplifier together?
3. I think it's better to twist the ground wire from the new radio and the wiring harness together, put ring connector on the joined wires and attach directly the chasis. Less popping sound when unit turns on.
4. Take off the rear side panel and check it out back at the speaker for problems.
5. None of these have probably helped at all but you gotta start somewhere.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:02 AM

Thanks for the reply...

I am using a wiring harness. I didn't do the install, and the guy that did was a moron. Please tell me more about this blue loop wire? This sounds promising.

I'm pretty sure we're talking about a factory set-up as far ans amps and speakers go.

My antenna goes up whenever the unit is powered up, no matter what source I'm using (cd, radio, aux.)
Old 06-07-2005, 12:03 PM

The blue loop allows you to connect stereos that only have one blue color lead easily.
The car end connector has a connection for the antenna and one for amp turn-on. The wiring harness' with a loop connect the two together so the installer doesn't have to remember to tie the amp turn-on and the antenna wires together.
If you have a HU with separate leads you can connect them separately by cutting the loop out.
This might be nice for someone who listens to alot of CD or satellite and would like the antenna to stay down while listening to anything but AM/FM.
The factory setup was like this. Start the radio in CD mode and the antenna would stay down.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:50 PM

So the blue wire coming from the HU needs to connect to the Blue and The Blue w/ White Stripe wires on the factory connector? So if it's only connected to one I should splice the other one in there?
Old 06-08-2005, 05:40 AM

Yes, they need to be joined together.
Again, if your new HU has a Blue wire and a Blue/White wire, connect the Blue/White wire. The blue wire is for power antenna, blue/white is for amp turn-on.
I still don't think this related to sound coming from only one side though.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:34 AM

I know I remember seeing that there were the two blue wires (with stripe and without) and noting that one wasn't hooked up. The antenna goes up and down all the time, so doesn't that mean that the amp wire isn't hooked up, and that could be causing some speakers not to work?
Old 04-23-2007, 10:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1995 4runner speaker swap!

hey i have 95 4runner with factory speakers that are pretty much all shot now....
my problem is i want to get some kickass speakers and ill pay fairly expensive to get the best.
another problem.. im not the huge electronic wizz, but i can take off the paneling in the front and i "think" i know how to in the back (dont you take off the circles in the back and peel back the whole panel?
i think i have tweeters above since there is slots there that hint at it.
i need some help on how to install

i got this link in another post for front speakers but i wonder if this is a good choice or not?
http://www.millionbuy.com/inf4012i.html

if this is a really hard job to put in, should i take it somewhere? should i buy speakers ahead of time and just pay for labor to put it in? where would a good place to have someone do that be?

please help with rear speaker advice and tweeters and if you could provide links great. i have an aftermarket head unit (single cd player) and it does the job okay. it came with it when i bought it so i have no clue what to do with it.
thanks guys sorry for all the questions.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:53 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So.... revive an old thread, but to get my rear speakers to work when I listen to a CD I just splice the blue and the blue/white wires into the blue wire going out. So 3 wires spliced together, right?

Thanks!
Old 02-09-2008, 11:06 AM

When I installed and the customer had an aiwa deck. we would automatically have another there for a back up because half of them never worked . Aiwa may be made by SONY but it is not a SONY. KLH home audio speakers are made by YAMAHA (i don't know if they still are). Klh are still not YAMAHA. if your right rear is not working and everything else is, a speaker lead may be loose, the speaker may be bad , the speaker not hooked up correct, or the amp in the deck is bad. you can test the speaker by using a 9volt battery and speaker wire. have a friend hold the wires to the batt. and you touch the other end to the speaker if pops and moves , it's not the speaker. AIWA decks use to be notorious for the problem you are having.