Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

rear speaker problems with new headunit

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 07:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rear speaker problems with new headunit

I just recently purchased an Aiwa headunit CDC-X204 and installed it in my 92 4runner. I was happy to see that the front speakers were receiving more power but whenever im using listening to cd's the rear speakers dont work, just the rear tweeters and it doesnt sound very well When i listen to the radio the rear speakers and rear tweeters work fine, I dont understsand what could be wrong.
Old 08-23-2004, 07:37 AM
Contributing Member

This happened to me when i put in my pioneer. I think its just too many channels but i could be wrong. I just put in a pair of 6x9"s and called it good though.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:02 AM

so if i jsut switched the connections from the rear tweeters to the rear speakers i would be ok? of course my rear tweeters wouldnt work then but i would have the more important speakers working.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:05 AM

So you are running six speakers off of the head unit? If that is the case, I doubt a AIWA HU could have enough power to run all of those speakers. Either get an external amp or cut it down to four speakers.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:23 AM

Depends on how the speakers are crossed over. As long as the Ohm load is in spec....

On the surface CD vs Radio shouldnt make a difference if its an issue with how the speakers are wired.

how many channels is the HU

Whcih and how many speakers are you running, how do you have them wired, and do you have passive x-overs on them ?
Old 08-23-2004, 08:31 AM

well all i did when i installed it was hook up the harness and then put everything back as for the number of speakers there are a total of 6, 2-4inch front , 2-5 1/4rear, and 2-1inch rear tweeters and everythingis stock except for the headunit
Old 08-23-2004, 08:46 AM

thats weird then. That shoulda been totally straight forward for you.

And youre sure you wired up to the harness correctly ?

Still weird though since regardless of CD vs Radio, on the surface, the speakers should either work or not work consistently.

Last edited by COYOTA $x$; 08-23-2004 at 08:48 AM.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:52 AM

could it possibly be a malfunction headunit?
Old 08-23-2004, 09:10 AM

Their are two harnesses in my 4runner. The extra smaller harness is for the back speakers. I don't know if this could be the problem or not.

Regardless, I would pull out the HU, and swap the inputs. Better yet, I would unhook all the the speaker connections, and touch each + and - speaker wires with just one output (front right output, for example) with music playing. DO THIS ONE SPEAKER AT A TIME. This will prove which speakers are good, and which ones are blown. Once this is known, Test the other 3 HU speaker outputs on just one speaker (The front passenger for example). This will prove that all outputs of the HU are good.
Lastly, there is a good possibility that you have a speaker out of phase with the rest of the system. Out of phase means that one speaker is wired up backwards (+ of the speaker is connected to - of the HU). That will suck out the bass and make the imaging sound really weird. I generally fade to the front speakers, and put my head in the center of the car and see if it has a centered image. If it has two distinct voices to the left and right, something is out of phase.
Good luck,
Wes
Old 08-23-2004, 11:01 AM

WES,

its more complicated than that....

whenever im using listening to cd's the rear speakers dont work, just the rear tweeters and it doesnt sound very well.... When i listen to the radio the rear speakers and rear tweeters work fine
Old 08-23-2004, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by COYOTA $x$
WES,

its more complicated than that....
Man, I guess the run on sentense could be interpreted at least two ways...I bit on the wrong way I guess.

"but whenever im using listening to cd's the rear speakers dont work, just the rear tweeters and it doesnt sound very well When i listen to the radio the rear speakers and rear tweeters work fine...

I got it as - he listens to CDs and only the rear tweets work and it doesn't sound good when he listens to the radio...the rear speakers and tweets work fine (assuming that he thinks they operate aka are not blown.

Ha! My bad. Regardless, I figure that if he has tweeters in the back, then they are aftermarket and use a separate xover network. The stock speakers use an in line xover. If the tweet works, so should the door speaker, unless it is blown.

I don't know of any head unit setting that would shut down the rears when you listen the radio.

Wes
Old 08-23-2004, 02:43 PM

exactly !

From what we see here, I would suspect the HU has some issues. He said everything but the HU is stock, I assume that means speakers too.
Old 08-23-2004, 05:40 PM

Sorry about the grammar guys, im going to take the headunit out and go exchange it. Hopefully that will solve the problem.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:41 AM

I didn't think that the 92 came with stock tweeters in the rear. I'm plesantly surprized. I can't really think of any manufacture that put tweets in the rear of the vehicle stock.
I hope it is the head unit. Ask the salesperson while you are there.
Wes
Old 08-25-2004, 01:04 PM

that what you get for buying a AIWA!(THEY ARE JUNK IF YOU HAVEN'T NOTICE YET!)
Old 08-25-2004, 03:52 PM

My 4runner had the same problem that you are describing. It has something to do with the stock mounting location and amp being hooked into the antenna lead. My radio had to be wired so that the antenna is up the whole time that the radio is on. I'm not sure how exactly it's wired or why it's wired that way. But having the antenna up all the time has fixed my problem. There was another thread on here about this same thing...I'm just not sure where
Old 08-26-2004, 08:42 PM

yeap that was the problem the antena has to be on the whole time for amp to be powered on, got it fixed and now it works great and i could not be happier. Personally aiwa seems to have made a descent product I am very happy with the headunit in the end. Thanks for your help everyone.
Old 08-27-2004, 04:14 AM

Is there a stock amplifier in your toyota?
Old 08-27-2004, 06:45 AM

yes there is, im not sure were its located though I jsut know that it is hooked up to the rear speakers.
Old 08-27-2004, 07:47 AM

That's insane.
Did it get rewired incorrectly at some point? Maybe it was how you wired up the harness to the Aiwa. Maybe there are two wires in the harness that are both blue, but one goes to the antenna and one goes to the amp? Or your Iawa has two outputs, one for an antenna and one for an amp. Just throwing out ideas since I doubt it there was anything wrong with how Toyota wired it.
Good luck,
Wes

Quick Reply: rear speaker problems with new headunit