Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

post pics of satallite antenna install

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
post pics of satallite antenna install

I'm trying to get ideas on how to install mine. In my Previa, I can leave the antenna on the dash and get good reception. In my 4Runner, it is just terrible. It won't be going in the 4Runner for a while, but I wanted to get ideas. I don't really want to go through the windshield because of leaks....but will if someone has a good writeup on how to do it.

If you could leave a little blurb on how you did your install, that would be great.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:12 AM
Contributing Member

My install:

Ran the wire between the fender and the pillar.

Ran along the weather stripping and inside the cab
Old 12-20-2004, 09:18 AM

I don't have pics to share, but I can explain a bit. In my wife's Pathfinder, I ran installed the antenna exactly like SLC Punk did. You can run the wire behind the weatherstripping, so there is no need to "go through the windshield" as you mentioned. In my 4Runner, I installed the antenna on the roof in the back, just behind where the 3rd brake light is. I peeled the weatherstripping that seals the rear hatch and ran the antennat wire underneath it and ran the wire along the headliner to the front of the vehicle.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:58 AM

Ditto on the intall, my antenna is in the same exact postion, follows the same path along the windshield, the only difference with my install is that I ran the wire through the firewall grommet into the inside of the truck. That black area above the bolt in that last pick leads to inside of the hood, and then it is 6" down to the firewall grommet. Pretty simple, just don't pinch the wire at any point and you will be fine. Took me a total of 30mins to do.

Last edited by li_runner; 12-20-2004 at 11:00 AM.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:53 AM

thanks guys,

A couple of questions:

- Does your Rack/basket affect your reception? I have Thule basket that sits above the cabin area (not on right now).

- How many feet was the wire for your antenna? I'm not sure my PNP kit will have enough to reach all the way back...Unless I route it via the head liner straight to the front.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by abalagtas
- Does your Rack/basket affect your reception? I have Thule basket that sits above the cabin area (not on right now).
I have the stock roof-rack on mine, and there's no issue with my antenna all the way in the back, just above the rear hatch.

- How many feet was the wire for your antenna? I'm not sure my PNP kit will have enough to reach all the way back...Unless I route it via the head liner straight to the front.
It's a breeze to come down around the rim of the headliner (tucked intot he moulding) and then down the front pillar and behind the dash to your head unit. That run is a lot shorter than you may think it is. I think my system had a 16' lead, and I had at least 3-4 feet left over.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:20 PM

You may want to position your XM antennae to one side if you are going to mount it near the rack and use it for holding your skiis.
The skiis will get in the way of the signal.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:22 AM

How did you guys remove the weather stripping. On 2nd gens, there is a metal strip on the front windshield. Can I just pry it off?

I'm going to have to do some thing different then you guys if I go out back. 2nd gens tailgates open down, so there isn't an obvious place to rout the wire through.

Thanks for the ideas; the installs look good.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:56 PM
Del

How did you guys remove the weather stripping. On 2nd gens, there is a metal strip on the front windshield. Can I just pry it off?

I'm going to have to do some thing different then you guys if I go out back. 2nd gens tailgates open down, so there isn't an obvious place to rout the wire through.

Thanks for the ideas; the installs look good.
I also have a 2nd gen and the install is pretty clean. I'm going to clean it up a little so there's no wires showing at all, but here's what I did:

I mounted the antenna right above the windshield, and let the wire run through the sunroof (it closes on the wire, but I think the weather stripping protects it from being crushed). I then ran it from the sunroof, behind my visor (driver) and finally into the drivers side panels down to the floor.

From there I ran it behind the dash and up through the center console. Now here's where I got creative (well, it was creative for me anyway!). You know those little "tabs" that are right below the ECT button? Well I popped one out, took a Dremmel (sp?) to the side and made a VERY discreet hole where I ran the wires (power, FM out, and antenna) through.

I decided that for now the best place to mount the unit was right above the coin tray (NOT the ashtray), and since I'm always leaning (No, not the gangsta lean ) on the armrest it's in the perfect place.

Once I have time (OK, once I get off my lazy ass) I'll run the wire like SLC did. I think I might have to force the wire into the molding though. We'll see when the sun comes out!

edit - I'll get some pics up soon. I'm actually pleased with myself on this install.

Last edited by Del; 12-22-2004 at 07:01 PM.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Del
I also have a 2nd gen and the install is pretty clean. I'm going to clean it up a little so there's no wires showing at all, but here's what I did:

I mounted the antenna right above the windshield, and let the wire run through the sunroof (it closes on the wire, but I think the weather stripping protects it from being crushed). I then ran it from the sunroof, behind my visor (driver) and finally into the drivers side panels down to the floor.

From there I ran it behind the dash and up through the center console. Now here's where I got creative (well, it was creative for me anyway!). You know those little "tabs" that are right below the ECT button? Well I popped one out, took a Dremmel (sp?) to the side and made a VERY discreet hole where I ran the wires (power, FM out, and antenna) through.

I decided that for now the best place to mount the unit was right above the coin tray (NOT the ashtray), and since I'm always leaning (No, not the gangsta lean ) on the armrest it's in the perfect place.

Once I have time (OK, once I get off my lazy ass) I'll run the wire like SLC did. I think I might have to force the wire into the molding though. We'll see when the sun comes out!

edit - I'll get some pics up soon. I'm actually pleased with myself on this install.

Del,

I was just thinking it would be a lot easier if I had a sunroof. When you say "coin tray" are you talking about the pocket right in front of the arm rest? If so, that is where I plan on installing mine. Which model do you have? I have the "Xact Jockey".
Old 12-23-2004, 12:39 PM
Del

Del,

I was just thinking it would be a lot easier if I had a sunroof. When you say "coin tray" are you talking about the pocket right in front of the arm rest? If so, that is where I plan on installing mine. Which model do you have? I have the "Xact Jockey".
Yup that's the one! I actually had to super-glue it to the console because I mounted it on the verticle part (facing up) between the coin tray/pocket thing and the armrest, but the double sided tape wouldnt hold.

I should have some pics by the weekend if I remember...
Old 12-24-2004, 07:38 AM

Ok....let me know how it works out. I'd be interested if glue is strong enough to hold it during daily use. I was going to try screwing it it with either metal or wood backing for more strength. However, I would have to position it correctly because the base wouldn't be able to spin anymore.
Old 12-24-2004, 02:11 PM
Del

Now with PICS!

OK so here's my final install. I decided to run the antenna along the outside of the windshield instead of through the sunroof.

*Here's the antenna.

*Here's the wire running down the windshield.

*The molding(?) just popped off so I ran the wire down that...

*...and right to the floor.

*I then ran the wire by the firewall, and up through the center console

*Here's the hole I made in the little plastic piece to run the wires through

*And here's where they come up

*With the plastic piece in place

*AND HERE IT IS!!!

Since I didn't want to make any more holes, I used Krazy Glue to hold it on and it works great! No problems at all

edit - Sorry about the single pic showing up, I don't know why it did that...

Last edited by Del; 12-24-2004 at 02:15 PM.
Old 12-24-2004, 03:43 PM

I mounted mine in between the front wipers at the base of the windshield. Ran the wire into the engine compartment, and from there it went through the fire wall. simple and easy.
Old 12-26-2004, 04:17 PM

Thanks Del,

That is exactly what I needed.

On the windshield, the 'trim' I was thinking about was the chrome piece. Did you need to remove it at all?
Old 12-26-2004, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by psd4mike
I mounted mine in between the front wipers at the base of the windshield. Ran the wire into the engine compartment, and from there it went through the fire wall. simple and easy.
Good idea, how's the reception?
Old 12-26-2004, 05:35 PM
Del

Thanks Del,

That is exactly what I needed.

On the windshield, the 'trim' I was thinking about was the chrome piece. Did you need to remove it at all?
No problem

I just used a thin flathead screwdriver and pushed the wire underneath. There's enough room in there so that the rubber molding(?) is still flush with the body.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:49 PM

abalagtas-
The rubber seal around the windshield is very easy to slip the antenna wire into. Or that idea of putting in between the wipers is pretty good too, as long as reception is good.

Got any pics of the model you got?
Here's a pic of mine-

Old 12-30-2004, 12:42 PM

Rob,

I can't put mine where yours is because I have a stick. I was going to install it where Del did, but I notice I loose reception when it is down too low. Mostly because the FM station (Mexican) I use breaks through when I'm down in San Diego. I have an old radio that doesn't allow me to directly tune a station nor tune in weak stations. It scans for strong stations only....at the time I guess it was a feature.

I don't have any pics of it installed, but I'm thinking of an overhead mount. Here's a link to the actual unit.

http://www.xactcommunication.com/Sir...ceiver-12.html
Old 12-31-2004, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by abalagtas
I loose reception when it is down too low. Mostly because the FM station (Mexican) I use breaks through when I'm down in San Diego.
Dont you have the option for a couple of different stations to choose from?
I use 88.1 and it is very strong and no static. The only time I hear any sound is on talk radio in between talking when there is dead silence. I'll hear a slight hum.

Quick Reply: post pics of satallite antenna install