Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

OEM NAV is in. Pics inside.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 05:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hope they dont discontinue selling the nav units forever, i really want to get one of these!
Old 03-31-2005, 05:36 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by dibble9012
hope they dont discontinue selling the nav units forever, i really want to get one of these!
People are buying these up fast. May be time to start looking on eBay.
I know I saw it mentioned on a Toyota Sienna board and a Celica (I think) board when I was looking for info/specs on them, and a few people had them already.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:53 AM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
hope they dont discontinue selling the nav units forever, I really want to get one of these!

I called two days ago and left a message. No answer to date.
So this morning I shot off an email - hoping that if he wants to make a sale that he will try to contact me using some form of communication....

Andreas
Old 04-01-2005, 05:57 AM
Contributing Member

Keep trying. he was slow to answer my e-mail but he gave the number and I called a few hours after and he picked up the first time. Maybe he runs it from his house and isn't expecting a sale and he's just not around. Seems liek a one man "company". I did get mine in 5 days and am happy.

Now here are some pics I took of a co-workers headliner. I don't want to start another thread since it is useless.

Old 04-04-2005, 04:04 AM
Contributing Member

Want to buy the OEM NAV radio at a discount?

Anyone interested in buying the Toyota OEM NAV headunit? I may get rid of mine.
Eclipse came out with a better model, the AVN-5495 (a little over $2,000). They now have the 5 volt pre amp outputs that I need and wanted.
The ~1 volt on the AVN-2454 was the only reason I bought the Toyota OEM NAV.

You notice the sound quality is better with the OEM than the stock radio like I said in earlier posts.
There is nothing wrong with this radio. The speed and reverse wires were not even tapped. Had it for just about 3 weeks (?) now. I have to go look at the dates.

If you want to pick this up for less than what they have it offered at, send me a PM, if there is no interest, I am going to list it on eBay.
There is nothing at all wrong with it, except my fingerprints which I will clean off the touchscreen.
I am sooooo bothered that I didn't hold off.

Read the comments in the past posts I have about this. You'll see where I mention that it sounds better even before I wanted another radio. Plus all the cool features.
A great radio if you don't plan on going all out with multiple aftermarket amp setups.

www.OEMValue.com is out of radios till further notice.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday - March 31st, 2005

The Navigation systems will no longer be offered for sale until further notice. For those of you who purchased a Navigation system today or yesterday, your order will be shipped on Monday. We are very sorry for the delay, refunds will be given upon request.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Genuine 2005 Toyota CD Player AM/FM RDS Radio Touch Screen Navigation System

We are SOLD OUT. Keep checking back here for availability,

we may have more available in the future. There is no telling when we will have more in.

We appreciate your interest.
Old 04-04-2005, 06:17 AM
Contributing Member

4RF,
I never did hear back from OEM Value - I left phone messages and emails last week. Regardless of their stock situation, that's horrible customer service

It always amazes me how companies can be short sighted when there is a customer willing to give them money - and all the company needs to do is communicate. Oh well.

This whole thing has me interested in the Eclipse units (AVN2454 / AVN5495). I have not found any places that sell these - any hints? Are these units fairly straight forward to install, or are custom wiring harnesses necessary? I am chomping at the bit to get NAV installed now!

Andreas
Old 04-04-2005, 06:26 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by aowRS
4RF,
I never did hear back from OEM Value - I left phone messages and emails last week. Regardless of their stock situation, that's horrible customer service

It always amazes me how companies can be short sighted when there is a customer willing to give them money - and all the company needs to do is communicate. Oh well.

This whole thing has me interested in the Eclipse units (AVN2454 / AVN5495). I have not found any places that sell these - any hints? Are these units fairly straight forward to install, or are custom wiring harnesses necessary? I am chomping at the bit to get NAV installed now!

Andreas

The 2454 is old and is the reason I went with the OEM in the first place. It doesn't offer some of the "Toyota specific features.
The 5495 just came out not long ago and is not sold in many places.
I have a place locally that has them in stock, and he wants over $2,000 for it (He owns the Scion in the pics). Seems to be the going rate on the net where it IS mentioned.
I take it you're not interested in the OEM NAv?
I really have no way of accepting money anyway for the unit. No more PayPal account after what they did to me.
I am going to most likely have to use the eBay account of I guy I work with to sell it.

I am going to take it out later and get it all ready. That's how bad I want the 5 volts And to be honest, is the only thing I really wanted in the first place.

Guess he's all out of units and just doesn't bother anymore. He was probably out before you e-mailed and called, but didn't mention it on the site.

Last edited by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK; 04-04-2005 at 06:27 AM.
Old 04-04-2005, 06:33 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the feedback. I am interested in the AVN5495, but can not find any distributors. Can you email contact info for the store you mentioned? Also, is this an install that I can easily accomplish, or does it need all sorts of additional wiring, etc? I was more than ready to do the work involved for the OEM unit.

Andreas
Old 04-04-2005, 06:43 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the feedback. I am interested in the AVN5495, but can not find any distributors. Can you email contact info for the store you mentioned? Also, is this an install that I can easily accomplish, or does it need all sorts of additional wiring, etc? I was more than ready to do the work involved for the OEM unit.

Andreas
On all aftermarkets, you'll need to play with the wires, MAYBE Crutchfield will have a harness, but they don't deal with Eclipse so who knows.. To do it right, you'll have to soldier all the connection and stay away from butt connectors and the likes. No sense on having a clean playing unit and have bad connections. Kinda like the issues I had with the FTC from not being soldiered.
The OEM NAV is plug and play. One wire harness 2 antennas and the NAV antenna.
The store has no e-mail or web page from when I searched the net. I am pretty sure he does not do business over the net either since it is mainly an installation and fab shop.
I think I will be buying one this or next weekend, depending on what info I get. I really don't like the hard drive and the memory stick nav. But that's me.

Soundsation
Corner of Forest and South Ave.
Staten Island, NY
(718) 370-9706

EDIT: Maybe some1 can chime in with an Eclipse HU and let me know how it works with the factory amps. Does it work nicely and have a clean sound?
I will have to use the factory amp for a while longer now since I will be getting this radio soon, and will have no more money left to buy "real" amps that can use the 5 volt signal.

Last edited by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK; 04-04-2005 at 06:46 AM.
Old 04-04-2005, 06:52 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK

EDIT: Maybe some1 can chime in with an Eclipse HU and let me know how it works with the factory amps. Does it work nicely and have a clean sound?
I will have to use the factory amp for a while longer now since I will be getting this radio soon, and will have no more money left to buy "real" amps that can use the 5 volt signal.
My brain is starting to work more.
On the stock radio and the OEM NAV there are two antenna inputs for what is in the truck. Why two? What is the other one for? One AM one FM maybe?
I doubt the Eclipse has two inputs for them, and I doubt you can splice them together.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:03 AM
Contributing Member

i'm liking that eclipse unit. http://www.eclipse-web.com/avn/avn5435.html
the website says it can hold 20 GB of music, or a maximum of 3000 songs...i wonder if there really is a limit of 3000 song files, or if that's just their estimate. i have 4700 songs but they come in at under 20 GB. the only thing i don't like abot the ecipse unit compared to the OEM nav one is the rocker volume control instead of a turn knob. oh well, i think i could get used to that.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:07 AM
Contributing Member

Andreas
You may have been looking at the AVN5435.
I recall $1,700 as the price I was quoted for that model.
And about $2,100 with tax for the AVN5495. That is from a physical store hence the higher price than what one may find on the net.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:11 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by calrockx
i'm liking that eclipse unit. http://www.eclipse-web.com/avn/avn5435.html
the website says it can hold 20 GB of music, or a maximum of 3000 songs...i wonder if there really is a limit of 3000 song files, or if that's just their estimate. i have 4700 songs but they come in at under 20 GB. the only thing i don't like abot the ecipse unit compared to the OEM nav one is the rocker volume control instead of a turn knob. oh well, i think i could get used to that.

It's an estimate. 20 gigs is 20 gigs. YOu can put bad quality files on there and fit 20,000 tracks. I have almost 450 gigs of music on my CPU.

And about that rocker volume, I am weary of that too. My old JVC and Denon had that, and they always used to get stuck in the up or down position and that's why they changed them to knobs. The JVC was an early Kamleion (sp?)model. I forget the model number on the Denon.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:21 AM
Contributing Member

I really don't know what I want to do now that I look at the Eclipse closer.
I really want that 5 volt pre-out and that is all. I am happy with the OEM NAV except for that reason, and that the eclipse just looks way different from the interior.
Ho hum... What to do, what to do? Signal processing to help clean up the signal and boost it?
Give the Toyota NAV to my g/f who drives a Ford now? Be cool when she takes it in for service and they see the Toyota logo pop up on the screen.
At least that way I can trade her the Eclipse if I don't like it.

I am going to go to Soundsation this weekend and play with one they have in that demo truck from the previous posts (AVN5495). I want to see if I am going to like this hard drive, and what I will sacrifice to get that.

Also I have to look at the mounting depth. I'm sure you read the problem I had with the white box in the dash. If that radio is 1/8 - ¼" bigger I can't use it anyways. Oh Well.
Glad I am thinking of this now before I sold the OEM NAV. I hate my impulse buys. Get all excited for nothing cause it may not work for me.

EDIT:
I think I may have got myself hyped up.
I really don't like the way it looks.
I can care less about watching a video so low in the dash.
I don't really have a need for that harddrive.
I don't like the fact that it uses a memory card for the NAV and a security system that I don't need.
Maybe I'll hold off and see if one of you orders the 5495. Just jumped the gun again I guess.

And the only thing I don't like about the OEM NAV is that it doesn't have nice pre outs, and my g/f would like the video screen, but agrees that it is too low in the dash to watch a movie on, and I'm not about to swap positions with the climate control unit anytime soon.
Plus 2 grand will buy me another set of speakers and a really nice amp to power all the front stage.

Last edited by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK; 04-04-2005 at 07:32 AM.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:27 PM
Contributing Member

Everything happens for a reason.

I went to that shop that has the Eclipse HU's and there is an old guy (60's) there with a Toyota Sienna. I strike up a conversation with him cause he was there for a NAVi unit. I thought he was having one put in so I showed him my HU.
He said it looks very nice, and gave me some compliments on my work.
He has the Eclipse AVN5495 it turns out.
He says he loves it but it is hard for him to work, and there are more features than he needs.
He starts getting into the cons of the radio. No AM reception at all (older folks seem to like AM ) And FM reception leaves much to be desired.
He also said he took "the CD" (nav?) out and it could be hot enough to burn someone with sensitive skin.

Now I can think of things to explain it.
The bad reception may be caused by the two antenna feature of Yotas. I showed them my old HU since I never took it out and showed them the pics of the back of the OEM NAV online where it has 2 inputs.

Next the heat issue could be, I'm hoping, crossed wires maybe dropping the ohms somehow causing it to heat up.
I am hoping it's not the hard drive spinning and creating heat. Unless he has that same white box in the back impeding airflow. I showed the shop owners that pic as well on YT, and they said they don't remember seeing it in his.

Oh well. The installer I spoke to said he has seen the heat issue in one other unit.

I think I am going to hold out till more info comes out on this. Eclipse says that it should be installed by a shop that knows what they're doing basically.
I think that has something to do with the warranty too. I'm not sure.
I think it's something like the TRD S/C. If you install it, you get a one year warranty, and if a dealer installs it, it is covered for the remainder of the warranty. I have to check it out tho. I really want this radio, but something is keeping me from buying it.

Oh how I want the 5 volts :cry: . I guess I will just go for some nice signal processing and get it done with to avoid patching up the hole in the dash trim.

One thing I must say, I was suprised that the shop owner advised me to hold off on buying a unit when I told him this or next weekend. He is going to contact Eclipse and see if this is a known condition. Keep you informed if I get any more info.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:45 PM
Contributing Member

thanks for keeping us up to date. i'm keeping an eye on this thread.
i think i want that eclipse unit.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:49 PM
Contributing Member

4RF,
Thanks for the update. I'm watching closely.

I guess I will just go for some nice signal processing and get it done with to avoid patching up the hole in the dash trim.
$90 at toyota-parts.com

Andreas
Old 04-05-2005, 01:52 PM
Contributing Member

4RF,
Thanks for the update. I'm watching closely.

$90 at toyota-parts.com

Andreas
$342.50. I am such a moron I didn't think it would be that expensive to replace. I would have never hacked it up. Nothing some fiberglass & paint can't fix tho.
http://www.toyota-parts.com/default.aspx

EDIT: I didn't know there was a S/C for the 2.4 http://www.toyota-parts.com/default.aspx

Last edited by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK; 04-05-2005 at 01:58 PM.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:56 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by calrockx
thanks for keeping us up to date. i'm keeping an eye on this thread.
i think i want that eclipse unit.
I wouldn't mind the heat issue if I lived where I'd never really have to use the heat.
It's 70 degrees here today, and the older man said that "the CD" was very hot. I still think it's the NAV CD he was talking bout.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:28 PM
Contributing Member

i kinda don't see why more people are hyped up about this. when i first saw the toyota one, i thought it was god's gift to nav systems, my only gripe was no mp3 capability. this eclipse one does everything the toyota one does, plus not only plays mp3s but has hard drive to store 20GB worth. the dvd playing is neat, but i doubt i'd use that much. that's the perfect unit for my needs.

i assume if it's made to fit double-din slots, it wouldn't have any fitment issues.
this heat issue is something i'll watch, i hope it's not a significant issue.

Last edited by calrockx; 04-05-2005 at 02:33 PM.

Quick Reply: OEM NAV is in. Pics inside.