Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

I havnt any idea what kind of amp to get

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I havnt any idea what kind of amp to get

I have little car audio knowledge for what I want to do. I have a 10 inch Blaupunkt sub that I am gonna build a custom box for. Its gonna go in my 87 single cab. What do yall recommend for an amp? I want one that will help out my 6x9s and my in dash speakers too.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:55 PM

any 4 channel should do. just use the front slots for your 6 x 9s and bridge the rears together for the sub. you might need a deck that has 2 sets of pre outs though.. im not 100% sure if you can use the sub pre outs into the amp and work it properly bridged
Old 04-12-2011, 01:51 PM

If i was you i would go with a mono amp to run the sub and get a smaller 300 watt or so and run the highs off of it would prob sound so much better you could have your sub getn all bass and your other speakers getn the sound. Your deck would have to have two sets of pre amp outputs if i aint mistaken 1 set should be a high out put and the other should be for the lows.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:09 PM

I think my deck has two pre outs. Not sure though I will have to look. Thx for the info guys
Old 04-12-2011, 02:18 PM

no prob still dont see how you going to fit a 10 in sub in a single cab lol id like to see some pics when you get it in there may do my truck the stock speakers just dont cut it lol
Old 04-12-2011, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by baddest94
no prob still dont see how you going to fit a 10 in sub in a single cab lol id like to see some pics when you get it in there may do my truck the stock speakers just dont cut it lol

not that hard, my buddy and i did it, we made a custon slimline box at an angle behind the passenger seat, a little tight in the legroom department, but sounds great and tucks in nicely. i used google sketchup to design the box before we made it. if i can get him to send me a pic i'll post it

as for amps, if you decide to use a 4 channel amp the the rear two outputs bridged, your going to need a low pass filter to keep the sub signal clean (no distortion from mids and high signal) my suggestion is to use two amps, one dual channel for the speakers, and one mono for the sub. my $100 deck outputs 80w per channel and has multiple preamp outs and other goodies, it pushes my speakers great, even with a sub pounding away. so if your deck puts out adequate power you may only need one amp (saves money and space)
Old 04-12-2011, 04:58 PM

Heres how my interrior is set up now

I will put the sub behind the passenger seat in a the thinnest box possible. I won't have anyone tall riding with me anyway so Im not too terribly worried about leg room over there. As for my deck, its a Kenwood with 50w per channel and pushes my current set up amazingly. The 6x9s are actin like the subs right now. It bumps pretty good but I want to add this sub to get some more bass out of it.

Last edited by Z's Confederate Toy; 04-12-2011 at 05:02 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what's the max power/rms power for your sub? and you'll definatley want too run two amps if your gonna push mids/highs and lows with amps, your gonna need to know your rms/max power for the rest of your speakers as well to be able to properly fit them to an amp.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:02 PM

Im not sure on what the max power is on the sub. I got it as a hammy down when my buddy upgraded to 12s. I have tried to research it but I can't find anything on it. All I know is that its a subsidary of Alpine
Old 04-12-2011, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Z's Confederate Toy
Im not sure on what the max power is on the sub. I got it as a hammy down when my buddy upgraded to 12s. I have tried to research it but I can't find anything on it. All I know is that its a subsidary of Alpine
Can you post up a pic of the front, side and back of your sub, the only three 10" blapun... However it's spelled subs that I've found are actually relativity high power, do you know how many cubic feet of airspace the sub requires in a sealed box, or ported if that's your flavor?
Old 04-13-2011, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by yeehaw1
Can you post up a pic of the front, side and back of your sub, the only three 10" blapun... However it's spelled subs that I've found are actually relativity high power, do you know how many cubic feet of airspace the sub requires in a sealed box, or ported if that's your flavor?
Im not sure about much on this sub and neither does my buddy. It was in decent size box when he had it and he had like a 500w amp on it. When I aquired it he said that it should do pretty good on something like a 200w amp cuz I dont need that much power for such a small space. It didnt come with the box.
Here are the pics you asked for:

Its relativly small compared to the sub I was gonna use (Bowers & Wilkins 8 inch home theatre)
Old 04-14-2011, 06:38 PM

The amp size has nothing to do with the size of the space your putting it in. The amp size goes with what sub your putting in. Just an example say your sub can run a 1000 watts and you got it in an suv just cuz you switch it to a single cab pickup doesnt mean you down size the amp because your sub still pushes a thousand watts no matter what or where you put it. If your buddy was running a 500 watt amp with that sub thats what i would go back with. And air space helps with the amount of bass you get out of the sub. Dont quote me on it put i would go with atleast 1 to 1.5 cubic feet of air space.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:29 AM

The amp size has nothing to do with the size of the space your putting it in. The amp size goes with what sub your putting in. Just an example say your sub can run a 1000 watts and you got it in an suv just cuz you switch it to a single cab pickup doesnt mean you down size the amp because your sub still pushes a thousand watts no matter what or where you put it. If your buddy was running a 500 watt amp with that sub thats what i would go back with. And air space helps with the amount of bass you get out of the sub. Dont quote me on it put i would go with atleast 1 to 1.5 cubic feet of air space.

ya beat me to the punch, im kinda betting the guy before Z's confederate had too much power goin to that sub though, i think that's smaller than a 10" from looking at the pics also, have you mesured the cone diameter z?

that's an older sub i would imagine, i was reading on a site earlier a guy was trying to sell a pair of these for $40, another member stated that there should be a plate or sticker on the side of the sub with a model number on it, as a matter of fact i think i see it in the bottom pic can you post the numbers up? i can't quite make them out( pretty sure the first one on the bottom is a 5...) maybe i can take those and find something out about your sub for ya
Old 04-15-2011, 04:13 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Already done it, Twice. Haha.

Really not that hard, i did a draw up for a buddie a while back...

Im running only one 10" pioneer now,
And ive got a 200 x 2 watt planet audio amp running to it.

My setup is louder than my buddies with a 500watt sony explode amp.

I love it. But trust me, if you want that speaker to last, dont bridge it. I bridged mine and they blew in a matter of a month.
It still sounds really good un bridged, a lot better than those 4" dash mount speakers

Good luck, let me know if you need anything!
Old 04-15-2011, 05:16 AM

hell i have a 12" in mine

although the bench seat is like this if you look at it from above \ lol
Old 04-15-2011, 05:21 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Haha ^^^

I tried that once, but i didn't like my knees making love to the dash.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:38 AM

yea i built the box so it would go with the seat and then pushed the seat back as far as possible. i had to get used to sitting a little closer haha but its not bad
Old 04-15-2011, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by yeehaw1
ya beat me to the punch, im kinda betting the guy before Z's confederate had too much power goin to that sub though, i think that's smaller than a 10" from looking at the pics also, have you mesured the cone diameter z?

that's an older sub i would imagine, i was reading on a site earlier a guy was trying to sell a pair of these for $40, another member stated that there should be a plate or sticker on the side of the sub with a model number on it, as a matter of fact i think i see it in the bottom pic can you post the numbers up? i can't quite make them out( pretty sure the first one on the bottom is a 5...) maybe i can take those and find something out about your sub for ya
Yeah it is smaller than 10". I was comparin it to the B&W 8 the other night and its the same size. I looked allo over for that number when I first got it and couldn't find anyting. I guess I never thought of lookin on that top rim. The top number is FOOEB00064 and the bottom number is 56723. Thanks for the help

Originally Posted by Bojangles
Already done it, Twice. Haha.

Really not that hard, i did a draw up for a buddie a while back...

Im running only one 10" pioneer now,
And ive got a 200 x 2 watt planet audio amp running to it.

My setup is louder than my buddies with a 500watt sony explode amp.

I love it. But trust me, if you want that speaker to last, dont bridge it. I bridged mine and they blew in a matter of a month.
It still sounds really good un bridged, a lot better than those 4" dash mount speakers

Good luck, let me know if you need anything!
Thanks for the info Bo. I just might have to use your box schematic for tis one eventhough its an 8 not a 10