Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

How do I change from a single din tape/radio to a double din tape/radio/cd

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do I change from a single din tape/radio to a double din tape/radio/cd

I picked up a used Double DIN tape/radio/cd for my 97 SR5 4Runner and after taking the dash apart and pulling the stock single DIN out I realized the plugs are different.

What options do I have in my situation. Would Toyota have an adapter ? Am I SOL and should just pick up an aftermarket stereo? Here are some pics to give you an idea of what I am changing too......

This is what I have now a single DIN with this plug type in the back.
How do I change from a single din tape/radio to a double din tape/radio/cd-radio_00.jpg

I want to use this double DIN with its type of plug.
How do I change from a single din tape/radio to a double din tape/radio/cd-radio_02.jpg
How do I change from a single din tape/radio to a double din tape/radio/cd-radio_03.jpg

Any help or advice will be accepted. Thanks.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:16 PM

Hmmm, I'll bet there is an adapter you could use altjhough I don't know offhand where to get it. Alternatively you could get a wiring harness adapter for your year Toyota AND the plug w/ cut wires for that new deck you have from a scrapped 4runner. Then you could just match up the wires.

Check out installdr.com for wire colors and labels if you need them
Old 07-19-2007, 07:17 PM

Wait, what was yourt single din? was that a toyota deck?
Old 07-19-2007, 08:37 PM

If you look lower in your dash there is a factory amp that needs to be unplugged so when you do that you will find the plugs that you are looking for.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:20 AM

Thanks for the link Henry.....and yeah the first radio pic is a Toyota factory radio. I am looking to keep the stock look as much as I can as I am unsure as to how long I plan on keeping my 4Runner.

Germ, now that I think about it I only saw one plug. Is it possible that there is another set of plugs that go to an amp of some sort? Thanks for the input guys.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:47 AM

if its for a 4runner or taco, follow the harness you have in there about 6 inches back and it will end in a silver box(amp), remove the two gold-ish colored screws to either side of the amp, and remove it(bracket and all), the plugs you need are plugged into the bottom of the amp.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:20 AM

Fullman, is that amp present in the double din 4runners (i.e. like mine which has a deck similar to the one the OP is trying to install) or is it only there in the single din stereo vehicles? I was thinking of replacing my double din stereo and would like to know what to expect behind the deck.

Thx
Old 07-20-2007, 11:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Call a GOOD Toyota Parts counter (there are some in the Vendor's forum)

What you want are the "repair" harness for the vehicle the double DIN unit came out of.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:52 PM

Thank you everyone for the input

Thank god I am willing to check my ego at the Yotatech forum door and ask questions. The guys were right about the silver box/amp for the single din factory toyota radio. Simple unplug and removal of the amp and plugged right on into the double din. Perfectly clean stock setup. Thanks yotatech folks.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:54 PM

BTW, on the last pic there is one female opening for another plug. Anyone know what that is.....I was thinking cd changer or some other factory option.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Henrythewound
Fullman, is that amp present in the double din 4runners (i.e. like mine which has a deck similar to the one the OP is trying to install) or is it only there in the single din stereo vehicles? I was thinking of replacing my double din stereo and would like to know what to expect behind the deck.

Thx
i've seen them in the single din and the double din equipped 4runners and tacomas, I'm sure you could run the vin at the dealer and tell for sure, but its really easy to pull the factory deck and the amp is literally just behind and below the factory deck.

after you pull the amp, just use a metra harness #70-1761 if you are putting in an aftermarket deck, and it'll wire up like gravy.

oh, and if you are putting in an aftermarket, you can wire the antenna remote wire (should be blue, not blue/white, or light blue) of your new deck to the blue wire on the metra harness and have your antenna go up and down with the radio, not just if the deck is on or not.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by js058515
BTW, on the last pic there is one female opening for another plug. Anyone know what that is.....I was thinking cd changer or some other factory option.
thats for the factory cd changer, or use an aftermarket translator and you can get a direct line in, or sat, or ipod control.

I prefer the direct line in option, alot of the aftermarket sats and ipod controls are less than stellar, plus a universal 3.5mm plug will allow you to do just about anything, sat, ipod, any mp3 player, or even a laptop.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by fullmann
thats for the factory cd changer, or use an aftermarket translator and you can get a direct line in, or sat, or ipod control.

I prefer the direct line in option, alot of the aftermarket sats and ipod controls are less than stellar, plus a universal 3.5mm plug will allow you to do just about anything, sat, ipod, any mp3 player, or even a laptop.
Fullman, thanks for the info! I am not very savy when it comes to ICE, so what type of "direct line" can I plug into there. What and where could I buy something to use my MP3 player as I do like to use that a lot. Any help will be grateful.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:55 AM

the adaptors i've used in the past usually have a plug that is the male version of the plug you have on the back of your deck, and then a converter box with female rca ends on it. I usually end up putting a rca to 3.5mm (standard headphone plug) converter on it and running it out the ashtray, or center console.

some adaptors are made for ipod or specific devices, but in my opinion, that limits what you can do with your aux input.

i'll try and get some pics and part numbers for you when I get to work today, and post em up tonight.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by fullmann
the adaptors i've used in the past usually have a plug that is the male version of the plug you have on the back of your deck, and then a converter box with female rca ends on it. I usually end up putting a rca to 3.5mm (standard headphone plug) converter on it and running it out the ashtray, or center console.

some adaptors are made for ipod or specific devices, but in my opinion, that limits what you can do with your aux input.

i'll try and get some pics and part numbers for you when I get to work today, and post em up tonight.
Thank you.....I definitely want to do this.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:55 PM

the part I have used the most is pie part toy-aux

http://www.pie.net/pie_store/shopexd.asp?id=26&bc=no

heres a better pic, and a better price

http://www.pac-audio.com/auxbox/auxb...ehicles&ID=218

you will also need a 3.5mm to rca male adaptor, available at any radio shack. that should get you an input for just about any electronic device with a standard female headphone jack.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:49 PM

Good stuff fullman, I ordered an adapter and can p/u up the rca adapter when I get it. I am ready to make use of that feature. Thanks once again.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:55 AM

I have had this set-up working now for a couple of weeks and it was a piece of cake to do. Total cost for everything was about $60 for the aux adapter and rca to male 3.5mm cable plus the 15 minutes it took me to install everything. Thank you fullman and yotatech for helping my 10 year old truck feel brand new.