Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

flashing stereo

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2003, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
flashing stereo

i have an eclipse 5443 head unit.

when i first got the truck with the unit... it worked fine.

now, it has a mind of its own. only turns on when it wants to.

at first. it would b on most of the time and then turn off for a short period of time, then just come back on!

NOW!.... it stays off MOST of the time, and only works once in a while.... while it is not working... it seems to be flashing. a few specs of the screen seem to flash on and off. and also, you can hear a soft popping sound coming from the speakers and the screen flashes.

i thought it was a power problem, but i checked the wires.... test lighted them... and even ran a constant hot wire to the power wire of the stereo. still does the same.

any ideas?

maybe its just time for a new head unit!
Old 03-24-2003, 08:36 AM
Contributing Member

Do you have a detachable face? WHat model is it?
Old 03-24-2003, 08:41 AM

i figured it out over the weekend. I was cleaning my truck out and i decided to fiddle with the stereo some more. i turned the truck to ACC and the stereo started to flash again. I looked at the amp under my seat and i noticed the power light flashing on and off! THATS what it is! THe Amp's power was flucuating!! THe amp's power comes from the head unit. There is a seperate power wire that is for the stereo's accesories (changers, eq, etc) that the amp was hooked to! So i test lighted the wire and sure enough , the test light was flashin!!! :pat:

so... i cut the AMP power from there and attached it to my extra fuse box for ACC on power. And now it works great!

still dont kno why that wire had fluctuating power. o well