Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

FiberGlass

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FiberGlass

hey everybody,
i have an 89 extra cab pickup with 2 memphis 10's and i am getting very annoyed by my roof that rattles...i am wanting to fiberglass my roof to stop the rattle....has anybody done this before?...i have searched already and found a little but but nothing for me roof...i know how to take out my headliner but i have never fiberglassed before....does anybody have any tips for me? what kind of FG should i use and how should i go about doing my roof....should i do it in strips or just do the whole thing? thanks for the help
Cody
Old 05-23-2004, 05:51 PM

I've never used or even heard of using fiberglass to stop vibration. Thought about maybe using Dynamat?
Old 05-23-2004, 06:33 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Designsbyme
I've never used or even heard of using fiberglass to stop vibration. Thought about maybe using Dynamat?
Yea, sounds like you are due for some soundproofing. It will only cost about $100 for enough dynamat to do your whole cab and it will also reduce road noise. On top of that your stereo will be louder and clearer. Check out my page: Soundproofing

Last edited by bike4miles; 05-23-2004 at 06:34 PM.
Old 05-23-2004, 06:53 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bike4miles
Yea, sounds like you are due for some soundproofing. It will only cost about $100 for enough dynamat to do your whole cab and it will also reduce road noise. On top of that your stereo will be louder and clearer. Check out my page: Soundproofing
What material did you use, about how much was it, and where did you get it?
Thanks
Old 05-23-2004, 07:09 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Dynomat-style soundproofing is the way to go. Fiberglass would not have done it, would have been nearly impossible to do anyway (working upside down with fiberglass is incredibly difficult) and even if you got if done would probably have come loose from ...vibration and flexing... etc. By the way, if anyone acually DOES need fiberglassing tips, I can help. I build boats for a hobby (plus make a few bucks occasionally.)
Old 05-23-2004, 07:12 PM

I'm wanting to make some speaker enclosures for my door so you may get some e-mails from me sometime in the future.
Old 05-23-2004, 07:13 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 914runner
What material did you use, about how much was it, and where did you get it?
Thanks
This is the cheep stuff on ebay called b-quiet. It's not as good as Dynamat (thiner) but it costs about 1/3 as much. I paid $120 for 100 squre feet which was enough for my entire 4runner excluding rear doors and roof. The real dynamat can be had for about $120 for 35 square feet shiped but I recomend just using more of the cheep stuff.
Old 05-23-2004, 07:50 PM

Thanks for the tip. My Xtracab is fine but the F150 sounds like the inside of a snare drum, everything buzzes and bounces since I did the stereo. They don't fasten in the trim as well as Toyota does.
Old 05-24-2004, 10:55 AM
Contributing Member

This is the cheep stuff on ebay called b-quiet. It's not as good as Dynamat (thiner) but it costs about 1/3 as much. I paid $120 for 100 squre feet which was enough for my entire 4runner excluding rear doors and roof. The real dynamat can be had for about $120 for 35 square feet shiped but I recomend just using more of the cheep stuff.
I couldnt find any of this b-quiet stuff on eBay, do you have a link to an auction on eBay right now?
Thanks
Old 05-24-2004, 12:19 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 914runner
I couldnt find any of this b-quiet stuff on eBay, do you have a link to an auction on eBay right now?
Thanks
I can't find it now ether but they still have fat mat which is the same thing:
Fat Mat 100 square feet for $100
Old 05-24-2004, 12:23 PM

I can't find it now ether but they still have fat mat which is the same thing:
Fat Mat 100 square feet for $100
I'm tired of you people making me add stuff to my list! I hate you all!
Old 05-24-2004, 12:53 PM

I just bought 200 square feet.
Old 05-24-2004, 04:47 PM
Contributing Member

Nice! Looks like your into it now. That should be perfect for doing every square inch of the interior. I would have gotten 200 for the roof but I had limated time and money..I definetly recomend laying down some carpet pad wihle you are at it. It only cost me $17 and it made the floor softer as well as further damping the road noise..
Old 05-24-2004, 04:50 PM
Contributing Member

Hey Design, Check out this page if you havn't already. This is the 4runner that inspired me to do my soundproofing.
97' soundproofed runner
Old 05-24-2004, 04:57 PM
Contributing Member

Awesome, now send 100 feet to me!
Thanks
Old 05-24-2004, 06:24 PM

hey eveyrbody..thanks for the help so far,
i have thought about dynamat...acually i have done my doors already...but i find that there is still a fair amount of flex in the doors still and my room flexes a good inch in the middle and still makes that horrible rattle....i know fiber glass will work because it is strong and doesn't give at all... but i do also know that it is messy that is why i was wondering what is the best way to come about this...also dyanmat is rather expensive i find....and FG is cheap...enough dyanmat to do my roof and mabye some of the back of my truck is about 200 bucks.... and i am just a student with a part time job and already in debt...does anybody know of any other material that will work in place of dynamat or B-quite? i have heard some kind of roofing material works but i can't remeber what it was...anybody know anything on this?
thanks again for the help
cody
Old 05-24-2004, 11:15 PM

Ever think about maybe not using so much power with such big subs? Christ!
Looks to me like you have a thousand dollars worth of subs and amps and a 50 dollar deck... makes no sense. But I'm old...

Seriously, fiberglass DOES give, that's it's beauty. (If it didn't my sailboats would have broken up and sank the first good storm I had to sail through.) But it will be damned hard to put layers of it on the roof - it's very hard to appy resin to cloth or matt overhead. VERY hard. If you prepped the surface of the roof steel with something like 80 grit and got it rough, the glass would stick. The difficulty is getting it to stay up there till it sets. Graivity and all...

Why not get some sound board (try ceiling tiles) and glue it up there with something like flooring adhesive?
Old 05-25-2004, 07:34 AM
Contributing Member

Bob_98SR5 used some roofing material from Home Depot and carpet padding to sound proof his 4Runner. You can find his write-up here.
Old 05-25-2004, 10:56 PM

Fg

Hey Flamed....accually my amp alone is worth 1000 bucks and my deck is worth about 650.....lol...and no i canlt go any smaller...i am trying to compete with my buddies which one of them has a 350'd blazer with 2 square 15's and a 2400 RMS amp....but thats a different story....i can see your point on my roof and how it would be hard and that gravity comes into play...so thanks for that help....i would love to use dynamat but it soo expensive..i have done my doors with it and am very happy....but its just my roof flexes soo much with that horrible sound coming off it...i just don;t know if dyanmat or any other type of matting will stop this....does anybody know if dyanmat will stop this rattle?
oh and 00runner thanks for the writeup...i think i am going to try the roofing material first...do you know how much it would cost to do my whole truck?
thanks
cody
Old 05-25-2004, 11:30 PM
Contributing Member

You might try some spray foam. That would really keep things in there place. Not sure how easy that would be to apply under the headliner but that's what a lot of the hard core DB drag guys use.

Quick Reply: FiberGlass