Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

Do 3rd gens have an extra internal antenna?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 05:56 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do 3rd gens have an extra internal antenna?

The reason I ask is since I got my Taco whip antenna module, my reception has been pretty bad. I talked to the guy that installed it and he said there's only one way to install it; it can't be messed up.

I just blew this off b/c I rarely listen to the radio but do want the option when necessary, an pro sports draft, a big game when you can't sit at home, etc. I did read on Itunes that someone w/ my same HU (Alpine 9856) had issues as his car had an internal antenna that required charging. Never heard of this for our trucks but decided to ask...
Old 10-02-2006, 06:10 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ebelen1
The reason I ask is since I got my Taco whip antenna module, my reception has been pretty bad. I talked to the guy that installed it and he said there's only one way to install it; it can't be messed up.

I just blew this off b/c I rarely listen to the radio but do want the option when necessary, an pro sports draft, a big game when you can't sit at home, etc. I did read on Itunes that someone w/ my same HU (Alpine 9856) had issues as his car had an internal antenna that required charging. Never heard of this for our trucks but decided to ask...
Hmm, I've never heard of an internal antenna on 4Runners, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist I suppose... What kind of car did speak of this internal antenna come up with?

As for trying to fix the reception, I would check the connections, make sure the antenna is not accidentally grounding somewhere it shouldn't. Also check the antenna's screw-on connection inteslf for debris, perhaps using some sort of electrically conductive grease to maximize the connection in there (and anywhere else you feel like it).

Sorry I can't be more help :pat: I'd like to know how this works out though, because I'm sure I'll need to do this mod someday when I become absent-minded and leave the antenna extended while off-roading
Old 10-02-2006, 06:15 AM

There is a secondary internal antenna on my truck. It is on the rear passenger side window. And there is a smaller second antenna connector with the rest of the radio wires. Since I installed my aftermarket deck, the radio has been worse. But I never listen to it anyways. I have no idea how the stock deck used both the antenna's, both at the same time, or switched back and forth?
Old 10-02-2006, 06:16 AM
Contributing Member

Isn't the wires in the passenger side rear glass an AM antenna?
Old 10-02-2006, 06:26 AM

I dunno
Old 10-02-2006, 06:57 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by X-AWDriver
Isn't the wires in the passenger side rear glass an AM antenna?
That may be why I hardly get any AM at all. Thanks.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:58 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mastacox
Sorry I can't be more help :pat: I'd like to know how this works out though, because I'm sure I'll need to do this mod someday when I become absent-minded and leave the antenna extended while off-roading
Just you chiming in is help. I had no issues w/ my old antenna; just hated that it rose if I went through the different sources of output on my HU. In hindsight, I shouldn't have changed since the reception got worse...
Old 10-02-2006, 07:00 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ebelen1
Just you chiming in is help. I had no issues w/ my old antenna; just hated that it rose if I went through the different sources of output on my HU. In hindsight, I shouldn't have changed since the reception got worse...
I wonder where this second antenna plugs in, the HU or the OE antenna's wiring harness?
Old 10-02-2006, 07:30 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
yep they have 2 antennas when you pull out the stock deck theres the big one for the fm and the little one for am and the am antenna is in the rear side window and the am dont get used when installing a aftermarket deck

Last edited by Elton; 10-02-2006 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:47 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Elton
yep they have 2 antennas when you pull out the stock deck theres the big one for the fm and the little one for am and the am antenna is in the rear side window and dont it get used thats why you dont have am
Thanks. Any knowledge on why my FM is also not very strong?
Old 10-02-2006, 08:11 AM

Are we sure that the one in the window is AM only, 4 cylinder 3rd gen 4Runners don't have that antenna and AM still works fine. My 00 2.7 had the exact same radio as my 02 3.4, but lacked the rear window antenna.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i asked this ? before w/o a good response, so i havent pulled it apart yet. my 02 stock radio gets am/fm. i just wanted to eliminate the fender ant and only use the one on the RR window.
thats sux if its only am.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:19 PM
Contributing Member

I have seen the window antenna described as an FM Diversity Antenna...what ever that means.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:37 PM

the rear is an FM antenna, the am antenna is a loop internal to the HU.

i notice this with my fm modulator for my carpc. if i have the modulator on, it disconnects the fender antenna from the headunit, and modulates my sound from the carpc to the radio. i just have to have it tuned to the right station. when i installed it, i forgot to pull out the rear antenna. so there are certain spots on my drive to and from school that i get a radio station because its signal is the same freq as my modulator, and stronger, so the diversity circuit in the radio switches to that one.

hope i was clear enough with that. and i hoped that helps.

one of these days i need to pull that dash apart again and pull that wire... i might do it this weekend

Last edited by seanz0rz; 10-02-2006 at 02:40 PM.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:57 PM

edwin your not alone. im suffering the same issue with mine ever since i installed the new one. maybe its just the san gabriel valle thats cursing us. but i have some free time tommorow i might tinker a bit to see if i can make it stronger
Old 10-03-2006, 05:58 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Patsawasy
edwin your not alone. im suffering the same issue with mine ever since i installed the new one. maybe its just the san gabriel valle thats cursing us. but i have some free time tommorow i might tinker a bit to see if i can make it stronger
That sucks. I actually sold my power antenna and as stated earlier, it worked fine. W/ the taco antenna and whip, I could hardly get good FM stations in my garage and can't get a lick of AM. Again, I now spend most of my time w/ the Ipod and HU but would like the occassional radio...
Old 10-03-2006, 10:50 AM

Toyota calls the rear window antanna a diversity antenna.

What it is:
A diversity antenna system uses two antennae mounted at different locations on the vehicle and automatically chooses one that provides the better FM radio signal. The customer is therefore less likely to notice static or weak audio signals due to obstructions.

How it works:
Power lines, traffic lights and buildings can cause local areas of weak FM signals. When driving through such areas, a listener might notice decreased volume or increased noise or static often when the vehicle is stopped for a traffic signal. With two antennae, there is a better chance that one will receive a clear signal. A circuit inside the radio automatically chooses the better signal.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so in theory, i could disconect and remove the fender antenna and deal w/the occasional poor reception (like in a san gabriel garage ) from only the divesity.
i think ill try it this weekend.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:44 PM

yea i dunno. imma unplug mine this weekend.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:28 PM

is there a way to get both to work on an aftermarket head unit?