Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

Can I swap out my OEM Double-Din HU for an OEM Single-Din HU?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 07:37 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can I swap out my OEM Double-Din HU for an OEM Single-Din HU?

How funny, I just came across this post on how to swap out a single-din for a double-din: The Swap, but how about going from a double-din CD/Cassette to an OEM single-din CD only? Is this easily done?

I've taken my HU out numerous times, so that's not an issue. I also have 2 sets of plug wires coming off the backside of my DD that run to the OEM amp. From there it's a single group of wires that exit the OEM amp.

I have found a few OEM single-din CD player HUs on ebay, but I'm just wondering if they will work?

For the moment, an aftermarket HU is out of the question, so until then I'd like to stay OEM...I just want some space under that HU.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
should just drop right in, you'll need a pocket or some kind of block off plate for the extra room though.

if you already have the factory amp in there you should be set as far as wiring goes as well. it'll just depend on what deck you end up with, but with the amp there, you have both bases covered.

I'd look for a deck from close to your year though, I have seen the dimmer work differently in different years.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I bought my truck, someone had done just that... of course I yanked it out almost immediately. But yes it will work..
Old 08-06-2007, 07:24 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fullmann
should just drop right in, you'll need a pocket or some kind of block off plate for the extra room though.

if you already have the factory amp in there you should be set as far as wiring goes as well. it'll just depend on what deck you end up with, but with the amp there, you have both bases covered.

I'd look for a deck from close to your year though, I have seen the dimmer work differently in different years.
As far as the pocket goes, I've actually got something else planned to go there (Hence the reason to ditch the double din to swap in a single din, all while maintaining an OEM appearance.)

As far as choosing the deck, I don't know if '02 model 4Runners even came w/ single din HUs. I have found a couple OEM singe din CD player HUs out of '99 and '00 model 4Runners, but the 2 connectors on the back of both of them look different. Anotherwords, it does not appear that the 2 connectors coming off my oem amp will plug into either one of these HUs?? I guess ths is where I am getting confused...