Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

Blu-Ray disc players

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you're buying the PS3 as a Blu-Ray player than why does it matter if you're a PC gamer? The PS3 is actually a good option for someone like yourself, you can even use it to browse yotatech on you're nice new HDTV. And if you ever wanna get really fancy you can install linux on it an use it as a regular computor with a bluetooth keyboard and mouse.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:11 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Kind of checking out this Blu-Ray now.
Insignia® - Blu-ray Disc Player with 1080p Output
It will up convert my current collection, and it will also do the much needed by me + format discs.
Plays BD-ROM discs
Backward compatible with DVD, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD and CD-R/RW discs. Compatible with MP3, WMA and JPEG formats.
So you can surf with a PS3 too?
I am also doing that with my laptop hooked up to the new TV with a VGA/audio to VGA/audio cable to the TVs PC VGA/audio input.

Also my old desktop PC that has my two TV tuner cards in it I record with is hooked up to the new TV, and I can control the TV tuner with both its remote, and then use my wireless mouse to control the Windows desktop to switch to a new recording.
I bet if I got a wireless keyboard I could full surf with it too.

I am still debating on which way to go.
But that player I linked to in this post will do the formats I want, and also upconvert my current movies.

PS, there is a cheaper one by the same vendor that gets good reviews too, and will play and upconvert my + discs.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1204332499513
Old 11-23-2008, 10:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I might be able to help ya Corey

Though I'm not at home atm so I couldn't tell ya the model of the 1080p upconverting sony dvd player we have. They may or may not have a better model out now, but a year half ago it was 'apparently' the best upconverting dvd player on the market. Blu-ray/HDDVD were still battling so we didn't get either or when we got our Sony SXRD 50" 1080p tv so we got the best rated upconverter to satisfy our home theater.

It was good, but not great.

This past March I purchased the Playstation 3 for both Blu-ray and I wanted a console so seemed like a good deal for 400 bones.. well 600 bones after some accessories and games.

AWESOME! .. The Ps3 supports toslink audio (optical) but ... cant remember if it supports component, I think it does, but you'll def want HDMI. Cabes are expensive tho so get the shortest one that'll make it from the player to the TV to save $$$$

I mean you spent the thousands of dollars, seems silly to hook it up with a cable thats degrading your picture quality.

The ps3 as far as I know plays all formats and does the BEST DVD upconverting i have ever witnessed! no artifacts, pixalation or anything to speak of and the colors are beautiful. It won't make a DVD look like Blu-ray but it does properly upconvert flawlessly.

plus you can connect your ps3 wireless or lan line, share pictures, photos movies etc straight from your laptop or PC. The remote is blue-tooth which is sick.

I reccomend it, i think they're what $299 now..
Old 11-23-2008, 10:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I should also mention I no longer dread getting a DVD when blu-ray isnt available for the picture from netflix. Just because the ps3 does such an amazing upconversion.

But blu-ray is amazing and worth the $. It's just awesome lol
Old 11-23-2008, 10:27 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Thanks, it will be a toss up from the Insignia $179 player or the PS3.
So, if the PS is wireless, there is a way for me to input my wireless access points password into it?

Also my Logitech Z680 5.1 system has the optical input, that is how my current Panasonic DVD player hooks up.
Sounds much better that way.

I may go for the PS3 then.
Do you have to use the gaming controllers, or does it come with a true remote control also?
One advantage to having the PS3 would be my sons have games, and they could bring them here and leave their PS3s at home.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:42 AM
Contributing Member

We've had a PS3 for about 6 months now and no issues with it whatsoever. BR discs will come down with time as I've been seeing older titles for about $15 and right now with purchasing discs I'll be picky about what dics I buy in BR vs regular def since there's some movies it would be dumb not to buy the BR version i.e. Batman,Iron Man.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Corey
So, if the PS is wireless, there is a way for me to input my wireless access points password into it?

I may go for the PS3 then.
Do you have to use the gaming controllers, or does it come with a true remote control also?
One advantage to having the PS3 would be my sons have games, and they could bring them here and leave their PS3s at home.
I can't say for sure but I'm certain there would be a way to enter your password into it.

I'm not sure if it comes with a remote or not, but you can certainly buy one for it if it doesn't. In fact I belive you can program most bluetooth remotes to work with it.

By the way, just so you know, I am in no way a PS3 fanboy. I don't even own one, I do all my gaming on my 360 or Wii. I just know that as a Blu-Ray player, the PS3 is an excelent option.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:05 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Well, I passed on the PS3.
I called my youngest son at his home who was right in the middle of playing the new expansion pack for World Of Warcraft (PC) with my oldest son across country back in Kentucky where he is stationed right now.

They both have the PS3s, but my son said if I am not going to game on it, which I will not, just go for the Insignia one I looked at online today.
It is way cheaper, I got out the door with the model NS-BRDVD and a Rocketfish™ - 4' HDMI-In-Wall Cable - Dark Gray Model: RF-G1160 for $250.

Watching StarWars III Revenge of the Sith right now, and it looks incredible.
There is an HDMI button on the remote you hit to change the resolution of the output to the TV, and it is set at 1920x180P24, which is the highest setting.

Not using any red/white audio cables either, just the HDMI and an optical cable.
I can switch with the remote for the Logitech Z680 sound system, and both are in 5.1, but I like the optical the best.

I may take the optical cable though from the new player and run it to the TV and from the TV to the Logitech system and try that later too.

Lots of ways to hook it up, but it sounds and looks very good.
I may have to buy a Blu-Ray movie now to see what it looks like.
Maybe The Chronicles of Narnia or the Dark Knight would be a good one to buy to test out.

PS...
My neighbor saw me bringing in my new player, and she stopped by a few minutes ago.
She had the new Blu-Ray Hancock in her hand.
Also included is a second disc so you can transfer the movie to a PC, laptop, PS3, PSP, ect.

How did she get the movie before it is released this coming Tuesday?
She has a friend at a local video store
I will not have time to watch it tonight, but I guess I can take it out of the Queue on Netflix.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:04 AM
Contributing Member

I know it's a bit late but Wal-mart is having a early bird special on Sony BR player for $179 which might prompt me to get one.